Author Topic: Some help putting together a dungeon  (Read 5851 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: Some help putting together a dungeon
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
Actually no, there is another 2 after that.

Vampires in Venice and Amy's Choice

[spoiler]
Trapped in a dream, have to die to escape but you dont know which is a dream and which is real. Neither one is in the end.
[/spoiler]
I'm in the US mate, we're a few episodes behind.
wait, people still use their TVs to watch shit?  :twitch
Home theater system mate.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 03:36:40 PM »
Actually no, there is another 2 after that.

Vampires in Venice and Amy's Choice

[spoiler]
Trapped in a dream, have to die to escape but you dont know which is a dream and which is real. Neither one is in the end.
[/spoiler]
I'm in the US mate, we're a few episodes behind.
wait, people still use their TVs to watch shit?  :twitch
Home theater system mate.
we have one of those too. it is hooked up to a computer, with a wireless mouse and keyboard near the couch.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
www.doctorwho-episodes.com

That is how I have stayed current. And yes, some day, when my school/work/family schedule permits, I will totally be using Amy's Choice as fodder for a campaign arc.

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
You know, a Drow Poison coated Bear trap with a Spot DC of 10, Disable DC of 2, and reflex save of 20 is only 100 gp.  Fill a room with them, and then put a Permanent Image + Hallucinatory Terrain over the entire area.  Perfectly sensible way to keep annoying people out.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
You know, a Drow Poison coated Bear trap with a Spot DC of 10, Disable DC of 2, and reflex save of 20 is only 100 gp.  Fill a room with them, and then put a Permanent Image + Hallucinatory Terrain over the entire area.  Perfectly sensible way to keep annoying people out.
Sounds almost as evil as my maze of invisible tazer walls, and something with electric healing.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

atewi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 11:03:09 PM »
Could always add in environmental extremes.  Sections that are entirely flooded, filled with fire or filled with hurricane force winds.  You could take the Shrinking idea and make the room a sandbox, literally. Have the players navigate the sandbox like it was a giant desert, complete with "sandworms" which are just regular worms.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »
rooms with heavy objects and switches that change the direction of gravity,  doors on ceilings, stairs up the walls, the trap resets itself
"the room is scattered with large stones and what appears to be splinters of bones, battered armor and broken furniture..."

then make exploding runes that look just like the switches,... and some craters for the rules lawyer

also some doors could send players to a random room, ....with a random direction of gravity
as soon as they think they FINALLY have it figured out.....

loot that drains levels when you pick it up, isn't there some kind of evil arrows that do this?

include puzzles that obviously copy Indiana Jones, or any movie the players will know, then make what happens in the movie the worst possible choice
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »
Sounds almost as evil as my maze of invisible tazer walls, and something with electric healing.

the point is more to be Cheap than Evil, but sure.

Greater Anticipate Teleport everywhere in the dungeon is always a good one.... With alarms that tell evety monster in the area where you are trying to teleport to so they can go gank you in the surprise round if you ever teleport.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

RealMarkP

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
Another hilarious encounter is a dungeon that has pits, doors, and traps that are being held back by some magical force (wall of force, etc). At the end of the dungeon, your loot radiates an anti-magic field around it. Unless the party does a thorough analysis on the item to figure out it's secret, it is completely mundane looking (such as a adamantine box or something).

See where I'm going with this?

For those that don't, when the party decides to walk out with the item/box, the anti-magic field dispels/supresses all the magical effects holding back the traps, keeping the doors open, keeping the magical bridges connecting two opposing sides of a long pit... etc.

EDIT: If would be cool to have the entire dungeon made up of force walls suspended over a cavernous pit. The dungeon itself would have unreachable rooms (like a 5' or 10' room) that house Golems/Animated objects/constructs. It would be easy to navigate to the loot but getting out would cause the dungeon walls/floor/ceiling to be suppressed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:04:18 PM by RealMarkP »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
A dungeon made out of giant rotating gears(with the PCs traveling on the inside, and rooms becoming available/sealed depending on orientation)?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."