Author Topic: Bard Swiftblade w/ IC optimization  (Read 2893 times)

BOTDuo

• Monkey bussiness
Bard Swiftblade w/ IC optimization
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I am looking for a hand on a build I have been tinkering with. I want to fit a few more things in if possible but I have no idea how to go about it. The build is a dragonwrought kobold bard8/swiftblade2/sublimecord2/swiftblade3-10. Here's a quick write up.

Bard1- Dragonwrought, TWF (Flaw 1), Dragonfire Inspiration (Flaw 2)
Bard2-
Bard3- Expeditious Dodge
Bard4-
Bard5-
Bard6- Replace suggestion with Song of the Heart, Mobility
Bard7-
Bard8-
Swiftblade1- Words of Creation
Swiftblade2-
Sublimecord1-
Sublimecord2- ITWF
Swiftblade3-
Swiftblade4-
Swiftblade5- GTWF
Swiftblade6-
Swiftblade7-
Swiftblade8- Snapkick
Swiftblade9-
Swiftblade10-

As for spells/gear I have inspirational boost, battle rattle, and vest of legends. Should make my IC a +12? (Bard8/SC2 makes bard9? +5 from the vest gets IC3 base. 1 from IB, 1 from Rattle, 1 from song of the heart, doubled from creation).

So as far as help goes, I would love to fit in Focused performer and focused performance from 338 for IC. I would also like to know if there is anyway to get 9th level spells from this build. ATM I think I have access to 1 level 8 spell. If I calculated right I need 1 caster level bonus to hit 9th in sublime cord.

Is there any way to rearrange when I take what to get more spells or can I get any of these feats from items to free up feat slots?

Thanks ahead of time.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Bard Swiftblade w/ IC optimization
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:42 PM »
Be a desert kobold to avoid the con penalty, you take a wis hit instead but that does not matter to you. You will need to find some method of boosting your attack bonus as well, it looks like it will be somewhat low from what your current build is.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Slippers of Battledancing (???) and Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) should help out in your melee abilities by making you more SAD.

BOTDuo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
Oh sorry I meant to add in that I wanted to get a pair of slippers seeing that a venerable dragonwrought kobold has such a good cha score. I can safely throw in a 16 and be just fine in a point buy (In my current game we are using rolled scores. 18 went there ;) ).

I forgot to mention above that I chose dragonwrought kobold to get my element of choice. I convinced my DM to let me choose battle for sonic damage. So when I hit third level spells and pick up Creaking cacophany damage won't be a huge issue.

As for my attack bonus, I thought that with a +12 IC by as soon as 8th level (I think thats the level I found I could buy the vest and have all the feats/spells for IC) that I was pretty good for atk bonus throughout my career. Is it to low? How or what would I take out to boost that?

Thanks again for the help.

Edit 1: Forgot to ask. Desert kobold, I don't think I have ever seen it. Do you have a source so I can look it up? I would assume sandstorm so I'll start there. Just have to go find my copy as I rarely use it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:36:45 PM by BOTDuo »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
Actually unearthed arcana, and dragonfire inspiration removes the bonus to attack rolls from inspire courage.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
But there's nothing preventing you from using both for +12 Attack and +12d6+12 Damage.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

BOTDuo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:48 PM »
But there's nothing preventing you from using both for +12 Attack and +12d6+12 Damage.

This is why I want to add in focused performance so bad. Using accompaniment I can sing them both from the get go for 3 uses of bardic music. If I don't then I have to cast inspirational boost round 1, sing IC round 2, stop singing it round 3 and cast Inspirational Boost again, round 4 sing IC using dragonfire inspiration. This double song would last what, 3 more rounds? While nice I'd rather just use one more bardic music and get the double buff going all fight.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
You're wrong on the rounds, I think. Inspirational Boost is a Swift Action (Immediate?), so you can sing in the same round. It's just 2 rounds to get the whole effect, and with Melodic Casting and favorable DM-ruling, you can cast while singing, saving you actions. I played a Bard like this, and in 3 rounds, I had 3 Songs (+12 IC, +12 DFI, and Inspire Greatness for 5d10+100 Temp. HP to all allies).

Lingering Song is good for this, too. It makes your song last 5 additional rounds after you stop.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:44 AM »
Hi guys, long time reader first time poster.

I am looking for a hand on a build I have been tinkering with. I want to fit a few more things in if possible but I have no idea how to go about it. The build is a dragonwrought kobold bard8/swiftblade2/sublimecord2/swiftblade3-10. Here's a quick write up.

Bard1- Dragonwrought, TWF (Flaw 1), Dragonfire Inspiration (Flaw 2)
Bard2-
Bard3- Expeditious Dodge
Bard4-
Bard5-
Bard6- Replace suggestion with Song of the Heart, Mobility
Bard7-
Bard8-
Swiftblade1- Words of Creation
Swiftblade2-
Sublimecord1-
Sublimecord2- ITWF
Swiftblade3-
Swiftblade4-
Swiftblade5- GTWF
Swiftblade6-
Swiftblade7-
Swiftblade8- Snapkick
Swiftblade9-
Swiftblade10-

As for spells/gear I have inspirational boost, battle rattle, and vest of legends. Should make my IC a +12? (Bard8/SC2 makes bard9? +5 from the vest gets IC3 base. 1 from IB, 1 from Rattle, 1 from song of the heart, doubled from creation).

So as far as help goes, I would love to fit in Focused performer and focused performance from 338 for IC. I would also like to know if there is anyway to get 9th level spells from this build. ATM I think I have access to 1 level 8 spell. If I calculated right I need 1 caster level bonus to hit 9th in sublime cord.

Is there any way to rearrange when I take what to get more spells or can I get any of these feats from items to free up feat slots?

Thanks ahead of time.

If you dropped the last level of Swiftblade and took another level in sublime chord(with 5 levels of swiftblade adding to your sublime chord casting) you would have 9th level spells, and still have atleast 16 BAB.

also just get gloves of the balanced hand and grab focused performer.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:39:45 AM by duncandun »

BOTDuo

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
So there's no real way to keep the last level in swiftblade and have 9th level spells? I was trying to get the most out of the capstone ability of swiftblade and have guaranteed 4 rounds of time stop. I guess the question becomes, is it worth it to keep that time stop ability or have 9th level spells and be decent in melee as well? I would think 9th level spells is the answer, if not 100, then 99% of the time so I may lean that way.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
9th level spells? Not really. 2 9th level spells. 1 of which is Time Stop. So in this specific case, take the last level.

duncandun

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:36 PM »
9th level spells? Not really. 2 9th level spells. 1 of which is Time Stop. So in this specific case, take the last level.

Well when that other spell can be Wish and you can get items that do timestop(timestop boots? cant remember the name), I'd say it is.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »

Well when that other spell can be Wish and you can get items that do timestop(timestop boots? cant remember the name), I'd say it is.

Other than a Runestaff and those boots for a 2 round Timestop 1/day at a ridiculous price, no idea how. And Wish is not a good spell to learn on a Sorcerer-type. Replicate Casting should be better.

Still, I'd prefer Multiple, Predictable, Time Stop uses a day.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:23:25 PM by CantripN »

duncandun

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »

Other than a Runestaff and those boots for a 2 round Timestop 1/day at a ridiculous price, no idea how. And Wish is not a good spell to learn on a Sorcerer-type. Replicate Casting should be better.

Still, I'd prefer Multiple, Predictable, Time Stop uses a day.

I guess, but honestly timestop only has so many uses. And those uses are buffing, escaping, or setting up traps.

Fuck, I don't know. If he could get a CHA of 36 he would have 3 spells:(

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
I guess, but honestly timestop only has so many uses. And those uses are buffing, escaping, or setting up traps.
Uh, you're an arcane gish.  If you don't buff, you suck.  And if you do buff, you're pissing away combat rounds that you should be using on killing.  Time Stop on demand is a big thing for you.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."