Author Topic: [CharOp Poll] Optimizers and levels!  (Read 2198 times)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: [CharOp Poll] Optimizers and levels!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 01:51:29 AM »
i get to play, maybe once a year. its almost always a new go round, all lvl 1's...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
Re: [CharOp Poll] Optimizers and levels!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:53 AM »
Most of the below applies to me as well.  Lately we have been bringing in alot of newbies into the fold, so starting at level 1 allows them to get the hang of things without adding too much complexity or choices.  Then as they gain abilities they can understand them better.  And yeah, some characters tend to die within the first 3 levels (Like the 2nd or 3rd level monk who tried to fist fight an Ankheg to "test his abilities" and got eaten.

Having said that, due to the slower pace, I like to start my PbP games at 10 and progress solidly to at least 20.

It's nice to begin a PbP with some degree of maturation of the character and having enough options and power to really enjoy.

I play with a few different groups, but the vast majority have begun their games at first level, with four and twelve being other common starts.

A common approach for us is to start the campaign at level one, and then have the players gain a level every session or so, so they can ease into the character a little more. This is helpful for newer players, and also gives you some idea of how the games is actually playing out before you spend build resources on something that won't be relevant or will be detrimental to party dynamics.

I have very rarely played on into epic levels, as several of my group members find mid-levels to be the most fun.