Author Topic: QUick maps for PbP  (Read 1681 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
QUick maps for PbP
« on: May 16, 2010, 04:31:06 AM »
Anyone know somewhere i can do a quick map for PbP fights?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
Re: QUick maps for PbP
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
MapTool is a great tool for easy mapmaking, so long as you make sure you know what you're doing (by reading/watching the basic tutorials on the site). The maps you can make also have great quality compared to the effort you need to put into them. Below's an example map from a game I DMed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Note: The tokens were made with TokenTool, found on the same page, and the background was grabbed from some internet site.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:56:00 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »
+1 for Maptool. Note that Agita's example is a finely crafted map with a lot more detail than necessary (but damn, it's pretty). A couple simpler examples:

With some neato tile-like images I picked up: (Approx. 2 mins to set up)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

With just draw tools: (Approx 4 mins to set up)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Also, Agita, thank you for not pluralizing Maptool. The Wizards boards have somehow gotten it into their heads that the program name has an 's' on the end, despite the splash screen, website url, and all promotional material referring to it as a singular object. Makes me cringe every time I read someone say "Maptools."  :mad

Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Just a note though, labeled grids help a lot with navigating.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
Just a note though, labeled grids help a lot with navigating.

Completely forgot about that!

Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Thanks guys!

bhu

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Any advice on getting images for this thing?  So far the stuff Ive peeked at in the tutorials is down, requires money, uses bittorrent which i dont have, or has some other problem

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:23:34 AM »
Well, I'd personally just google up some default terrain tile images, generic grass, rock, brick and sand textures covers most things, and anything else can use mspaint blobs.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."