Author Topic: Transferring/Recalling Spell Effects  (Read 1628 times)

Eardatch

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Transferring/Recalling Spell Effects
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:26:02 PM »
Ok, so I'm working on a mystic ranger/sword of the arcane order build as a kind of omni-character, useful from level 1, in a solo campaign. In order to reduce MAD, I've decided to take some feats (Keen intellect, dynamic priest) so I can dump wisdom. Only problem is, the character is already feat starved, even with flaws. To get the necessary fighter feats I'm planning on using heroics, but I need a way to increase the total output without taking all my spell slots.

So the plan is to cast a chained heroics (with rod of reach spell), choosing different feats for each target, then somehow recalling the spell effects to affect myself. Is there any way to do this besides dipping into spell thief (my cha is dumped)?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Transferring/Recalling Spell Effects
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »
Ok, so I'm working on a mystic ranger/sword of the arcane order build as a kind of omni-character, useful from level 1, in a solo campaign. In order to reduce MAD, I've decided to take some feats (Keen intellect, dynamic priest) so I can dump wisdom. Only problem is, the character is already feat starved, even with flaws. To get the necessary fighter feats I'm planning on using heroics, but I need a way to increase the total output without taking all my spell slots.

So the plan is to cast a chained heroics (with rod of reach spell), choosing different feats for each target, then somehow recalling the spell effects to affect myself. Is there any way to do this besides dipping into spell thief (my cha is dumped)?

Can you use online spells?  Look up Mirror Move from the wizards site...1 feat per Int bonus :D  Also, your best bet for maximum spell use if you want a true 20 CL/20 BAB gish is using the Extra Spell ladder trick from DavidWL's Chameleons, taking Planar Touchstone (Catalogs of Enlightenment) to gain access to Miracle and build up from there :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »
You could try Echoing Spell from Secrets of Xen'dric.

Eardatch

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
Oh man, that Catalogs of enlightenment is some grade A cheese, thanks, though it requires good wisdom. Better not plan on dumping it anyway. At higher levels Echoing spell seems very effective, providing upward of 5 castings, many overlapping.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:25:49 PM »
Can you use online spells?  Look up Mirror Move from the wizards site...1 feat per Int bonus :D

Wow.  How did I miss that?

The average 20th level wizard can get all of the class features of a 20th level fighter with 1 2nd level! spell.

Wow.

Best,
David

EDIT:  The average factotum can get all the class features of a 20th level fighter two.  And the average chameleon.  And what a great spell for Sorcerer/Gish.  I feel sorry for the poor fighters.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:29:20 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
Can you use online spells?  Look up Mirror Move from the wizards site...1 feat per Int bonus :D

Wow.  How did I miss that?

The average 20th level wizard can get all of the class features of a 20th level fighter with 1 2nd level! spell.

Wow.

Best,
David

EDIT:  The average factotum can get all the class features of a 20th level fighter two.  And the average chameleon.  And what a great spell for Sorcerer/Gish.  I feel sorry for the poor fighters.

I was playing a Mystic Ranger 20 in a game that was set to go epic right before I left C-dale, and no one had any clue the firestorm about to be unleashed...all Ranger and Sor/Wiz spells plus all Cleric spells with selectable domains (via x poly-line of spell) and an abusable psionic tattoo I had selected in lieu of the weapons and armor the other party snagged with their extra loot (PsyRef temp feats FTW).  Metamagic like the real casters, combat better than the beatsticks, versatile like the T1's, nuclear like the T1's and T2's, and capable of literally covering any party role.  They also were the type that didn't get the idea behind using a 2 hander as a ranger...too bad I only had one session to play as a Fleshraker :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Eardatch

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 12:13:48 PM »
So I guess that's a no-go on the original plan. Shame, though I guess I'll be powerful enough.

Also, would you recommend the use of reserve of strength to boost the power of spells like barkskin?