Author Topic: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition  (Read 119748 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition
« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
Q164: If you are a Dual Caster, can you apply DMM-Persist to spells not from your cleric spell list?
Only if those spells are Divine and otherwise legal targets for Persist Spell.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #681 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:32 AM »
Q165: I'm sure that I had once seen a feat that added you claw damage to your unarmed strike damage, could anyone please point me to it?

A165: I feel fairly sure that no such feat exists in 3.5 D&D. I can't speak for Dragon Magazine or third party stuff. Maybe the book of questionably balanced feats named Feats. By AEG.

Truncator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #682 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
Q165: I'm sure that I had once seen a feat that added you claw damage to your unarmed strike damage, could anyone please point me to it?

A165: I feel fairly sure that no such feat exists in 3.5 D&D. I can't speak for Dragon Magazine or third party stuff. Maybe the book of questionably balanced feats named Feats. By AEG.
Thanks, that narrowed my searching down quite a bit, I found it in the crystalkeep feat index
beast strike (DR355 p76): When making an Unarmed Strike or Grapple check to deal damage, add your Claw or Slam damage

TWF

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #683 on: May 31, 2010, 02:10:51 AM »
Bumpage......

Q-156a: Can a character with the wandstrike feat, CompArca - spend 1 charge to make melee attack with a wand and 1 charge to autohit target with wand spell effect, and the Duskblade Arcane Channeling class feature, PhB2 - channel touch spell to melee weapon discharging on hit, make an attack using the class ability to channel a (ex. CL 3 shocking grasp) spell into a held wand (since it is now a melee weapon through the feat) by spending the charges needed to make the strike and to target the opponent with the spell (say - a CL 5 shocking grasp wand)?
Q-156b:If this is possible, the said character would do 1d6(from first charge)+5d6(from second charge)+3d6(from channeled spell) for a total of 9d6 in total damage, correct?

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #684 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:59 AM »
Q166: What is the easiest way to conceal your alignment? I'd like to play a PC that is secretly against my party (super-evil Blackguard 3/PoT 3/Hexblade 4). He is obviously hella-evil. I'd need to kinda disguise that and also him (hat of disguise will work here).
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #685 on: May 31, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »
Q166: What is the easiest way to conceal your alignment? I'd like to play a PC that is secretly against my party (super-evil Blackguard 3/PoT 3/Hexblade 4). He is obviously hella-evil. I'd need to kinda disguise that and also him (hat of disguise will work here).

A166

Undetectable Alignment is a lv.1 spell that lasts for 24 hours.
If you took a fourth level of Paladin of Tyranny, you could probably just cast it yourself.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #686 on: May 31, 2010, 03:22:59 AM »
Q167: How many feats can you gain, maximum, if you can only use free stuff to get them? I need it to be in a more or less legal way, so that my DM doesn't kill me.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #687 on: May 31, 2010, 08:25:31 AM »
Q 168:

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #688 on: May 31, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »
Q 168: What exactly does having "Con —" mean? How does it affect a character's HP? What happens when they gain a new level?
A 168

A creature with Con — literally has no Con score. It has a Con modifier or +0, so its hit points are determined just as if it had a Con of 10 (except bonuses to Con don't work on it, so they can't be raised with an Amulet of Health or similar). This is also called a nonability; see here.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #689 on: May 31, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
Q 169: Is there any way to change the ability score used in fortitude checks to something else besides constitution? No, Concentration Skill Checks are not an option [DM banned ToB]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #690 on: May 31, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
Q 169: Is there any way to change the ability score used in fortitude checks to something else besides constitution? No, Concentration Skill Checks are not an option [DM banned ToB]
I know there's a feat to change Will to use Con, one to change Ref to Int, and one to change Will to Cha for fear effects or so, but I'm not aware of one for Fort.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
Q164: If you are a Dual Caster, can you apply DMM-Persist to spells not from your cleric spell list?

A164 You can freely apply it to any of your divine casting classes, but divine only due to the DMM errata.  To apply it to arcane classes you have to convert your spell to a divine spell with the Southern Magician Feat from Faerun or the Alternative Sourced Spell from Dragon magazine.  These spells count as divine spells for all other purposes too, so no arcane spell failure.

Another option is to run an Illumain race from Races of Destiny.  They can get a racial ability that lets them spend turning attempts to apply free metamagic twice a day similarlly to DMM, but it does not have to be divine.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #692 on: May 31, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
Q 170: The SRD says that a Large version of a weapon costs double the listed price. What is the pricing scheme for Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal weapons?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #693 on: May 31, 2010, 02:47:12 PM »
Q 170: The SRD says that a Large version of a weapon costs double the listed price. What is the pricing scheme for Huge, Gargantuan, and Colossal weapons?
A 170

There is none given that I know of (Savage Species might have some, perhaps). The two most natural progressions for extrapolating would be to keep adding the base price for each new category or to keep doubling it for each new category, I think.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #694 on: May 31, 2010, 03:04:26 PM »
A 170

There is none given that I know of (Savage Species might have some, perhaps). The two most natural progressions for extrapolating would be to keep adding the base price for each new category or to keep doubling it for each new category, I think.
Main problem with that is that small and medium cost the same, so...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #695 on: May 31, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
A 170

D&D rounds down, so maybe it's some kind of exponential curve instead? :D
But then, there is fractional money...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #696 on: May 31, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »
A 170

Savage species says cost and weight both increase by 25% for each size increase after large, for weapons. Page 42.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #697 on: May 31, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
A 170

Savage species says cost and weight both increase by 25% for each size increase after large, for weapons. Page 42.
Yeah, but the whole weapon system got an overhaul between 3.0 and 3.5.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #698 on: May 31, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
A 170

Only concerning how weapon sizing was termed. Weights and costs, except in a few select circumstances, stayed the same, afair
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #699 on: May 31, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
A 170

Savage species is 3.25e :)