Author Topic: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition  (Read 119754 times)

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition
« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
The ring of reduction from lords of madness might be a worthy investment though, come to think of it.  I wouldn't blow 20 grand just on the ability to temporarily shut off my class features, but being able to get through pinch points in dungeons easily would be useful.
Tunnel Fighting feat from Races of Stone would be useful if you're that worried about it.  See if your DM will just let you get an armor enhancement that grants the feat or something.  Not terribly useful, but when you need it, can be a life saver.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Ur Priest is faster than Cleric. Also, consider the Primordial Giant Template. Oh, and a Skillful Weapon can help in a pinch.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Ur Priest is faster than Cleric. Also, consider the Primordial Giant Template.
UP is good, but getting along with the actual cleric of Moradin who hasn't dropped any levels on racial HD or smashy nonmagical prestige classes is important, too.  And where is Primordial Giant located?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
Secrets of Xen'drik
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:58 PM »
Q62: If I'm an incantatrix with the persisted alter self spell. And in combat I cast a polymorph spell, they don't stack right? But after the polymorph spell runs out, will my alter self spell be gone (so the polymorph spell dismissed it) or will it kick in again (so the polymorph spell supressed it)?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2010, 07:20:07 PM »
It would have suppressed the Alter Self.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: May 19, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
Q61:  What is a good bludgeoning weapon with reach to combine with Greatery Mighty Wallop?

A61: Lucerne Warhammer. I found it on Crystalkeep.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
Q61:  What is a good bludgeoning weapon with reach to combine with Greatery Mighty Wallop?

A61: Lucerne Warhammer. I found it on Crystalkeep.
It's also in the Arms and Equipment guide. 3.0 FTW.  :rollseyes

Q59: Is there a list/guide anywhere for picking good mounts? Particularily those whith a climb/fly speed or feasibly accessible? I couldn't find any in the handbooks. Thanks!
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Contranym

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »
Q63: Why do class AC boosts stack?

Monk and Ninja do not as stated. But what about Swordsage and Monk? Or Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden. It is not explicitly stated but having two Wisdom bonuses to AC seems strange.

Is there a Sage ruling on this Or is this a case of, since it does not say they don't stack they therefore do.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »

Monk and Ninja do not as stated. But what about Swordsage and Monk? Or Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden. It is not explicitly stated but having two Wisdom bonuses to AC seems strange.

Is there a Sage ruling on this Or is this a case of, since it does not say they don't stack they therefore do.
sage ruling is not RAW, you should generally ignore it(unless you are using it to back up an argument about RAW being correct).

fist of the forest and deepwarden definately stack. one replaces dex mod, the other adds directly to AC.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2010, 10:04:41 PM »
Q59: Is there a list/guide anywhere for picking good mounts? Particularily those whith a climb/fly speed or feasibly accessible? I couldn't find any in the handbooks. Thanks!
HERE you go.   :p

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Contranym

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »

sage ruling is not RAW, you should generally ignore it(unless you are using it to back up an argument about RAW being correct).

fist of the forest and deepwarden definately stack. one replaces dex mod, the other adds directly to AC.

But they come from the same source: the characters Con score. They both (Deepwarden and FoTF) add to AC.

Dex adds to your AC and Deepwarden simply changes which stat is used to calculate this.

My disposition would be that unless stated specifically that this kind of AC boost does stack with others, then it does not.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
Your disposition is wrong.  You might just as well say you don't get the AC from a Defending weapon if it's in your offhand and you also use the Two-Weapon Defense feat.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2010, 10:10:49 PM »
One is a replacement, the other is a bonus.  They stack just fine.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lunaramblings

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

But they come from the same source: the characters Con score. They both (Deepwarden and FoTF) add to AC.

Dex adds to your AC and Deepwarden simply changes which stat is used to calculate this.

My disposition would be that unless stated specifically that this kind of AC boost does stack with others, then it does not.

They do not come from the same source. They come from separate sources, they just use the same mechanic to determine the benefit of the separate abilities.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
Yeahno. I already checked Mount Handbook, and it doesn't actually have a list of good mounts, just good stuff related to mounts.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
Yeahno. I already checked Mount Handbook, and it doesn't actually have a list of good mounts, just good stuff related to mounts.
:blush
oh well; at least I tried. 

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Contranym

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2010, 10:24:26 PM »
Your disposition is wrong.  You might just as well say you don't get the AC from a Defending weapon if it's in your offhand and you also use the Two-Weapon Defense feat.

It is?

What you advised is incorrect as the AC bonuses come from different sources. And this does not apply to my question which was: Why do class AC boosts stack?

There are plenty of builds on this and other boards that use Swordsage and Monk to AC to elevate the characters AC to great heights. Another is Kung-Fu Genius and Iaijutsu Master. Another Deepwarden and Fist of the Forest.

These are taking AC boost from the same source. Wisdom. In the case of Swordsage and Monk, this bonus theoretically would come down to combat training to avoid getting hit. Hence you are wise enough to get out of the way.

So what I'm looking for is a reason that they would stack.

One is a replacement, the other is a bonus.  They stack just fine.

Agreed in the case of FoTF and Deepwarden. Not in the other cases.

They do not come from the same source. They come from separate sources, they just use the same mechanic to determine the benefit of the separate abilities.

No they come from different class abilities which are doing the same thing. It is like having two dex bonuses added to your AC.

The source of the AC bonus is an Ability Score. You can't have Dex to AC twice. Why can you have others?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:29:28 PM by Contranym »

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
In the case of Swordsage and Monk, this bonus theoretically would come down to combat training to avoid getting hit. Hence you are wise enough to get out of the way.

So what I'm looking for is a reason that they would stack.

They don't. The Monk AC bonus requires you to be unarmored, and the Swordsage one requires you to wear light armor.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »
they stack because RAW. also, there are specific rules for determining when things do not stack. a) same bonus type(other than untyped, b) same source, c) called out by specific exception.

note that ninja is specifically called out as not stacking with monk.

deepwarden and FotF are untyped. they are NOT the same source. they are not called out by specific exception. ergo, they stack.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo