Author Topic: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition  (Read 119750 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a simple question: Monty Python edition
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
A 21: From my "lists of stuff"...

Bard
Virtuoso 1, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer
Fochlucan Lyrist 1, ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
Dragonsong Lyrist 1, ecl 8, Draconomicon, functions like bardic music but different name, does not stack
Warrior Skald 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
Spellsinger 1, ecl 6, Races of Faerun
Troubadour of Stars 1, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds

stacks for bardic music uses per day
Seeker of the Song, ecl 11, Complete Arcane
Sublime Chord, ecl 11, Complete Arcane, add only half level
Fochlucan Lyrist , ecl 11, Complete Adventurer
War Chanter, ecl 6 (maybe 5), Complete Warrior
Dawncaller, ecl 7, Races of Stone
Dirgesinger, ecl 6, Libris Mortis
Stormsinger, ecl 6, Frostburn
Lyric Thaumaturge, ecl 7, Complete Mage

special mention
Extra Music, feat, Complete Adventurer, 4 extra uses
Harmonius Knight paladin sub level (Champion of Valor; web enhancement) grants inspire courage, but not as a bardic ability
Initiate of Milil, feat, Champions of Valor, lets you stack bard/cleric/paladin levels to determine what kind of music you have
Initiate of Hlal, feat, Dragon Magic, gain one additional use of bardic music if you already have it
Divine Prankster, ecl 6, Races of Stone, uses bardic music to fuel "Comedic Performance" which has effects similar to bardic music
The Artist, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun, 3 extra bardic music uses
Evangelist, ecl 6, Complete Divine, stacks for strength of bard songs, see tex
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »

We don't have control water or else we would have parted the seas to search for the horde (that we're not even sure exists down there). But the idea of it only working in the river, and not a bottled form, does worry me though.

Does the sorceror have anything like wall of stone? If he does he could use that to redirect the river. Or just create an empty column of stone with a hollow center around where you thing the treasure is, use locate object for gold coins to try and locate it, and drain the water in the center with dust of dryness. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »

We don't have control water or else we would have parted the seas to search for the horde (that we're not even sure exists down there). But the idea of it only working in the river, and not a bottled form, does worry me though.

Does the sorceror have anything like wall of stone? If he does he could use that to redirect the river. Or just create an empty column of stone with a hollow center around where you thing the treasure is, use locate object for gold coins to try and locate it, and drain the water in the center with dust of dryness. 
No, the sorcerer only has force spells, and some of the basic dispel magic spells, as well as teleport. Since most things are immune to all spells except force, we've been getting pretty mainstream with that. The sword sage has a level of earth elemental to shape stone, but that's about it. The idea you have is really cool. We just don't have the means of doing so. Detect Magic might work if there's magic items with that gold so we could pinpoint the where the exact location might be. Assuming it's only 60 feet away.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:01 PM »

No, the sorcerer only has force spells, and some of the basic dispel magic spells, as well as teleport. Since most things are immune to all spells except force, we've been getting pretty mainstream with that. The sword sage has a level of earth elemental to shape stone, but that's about it. The idea you have is really cool. We just don't have the means of doing so. Detect Magic might work if there's magic items with that gold so we could pinpoint the where the exact location might be. Assuming it's only 60 feet away.

Does the Swordsage have a burrow speed? maybe he cold burrow underneath the river and get to the hoard that way?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
Q23 : PsyRef can swap around spells known, just as it can skill points and powers known, and most likely maneuvers known as well.  So...can Psychic Chirurgery be used to add maneuvers known as it can with spells known/powers known?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 05:14:57 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »
Does the Swordsage have a burrow speed? maybe he cold burrow underneath the river and get to the hoard that way?
No, he doesn't, but I'm the ranger and have the ability to give everyone the burrow ability, and one character has the ability to talk to us telepathically.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:01 PM »
Can someone in the party dominate an NPC to do it for you?
Alternatively, let someone who wants to play a different horribly gimped character take the fall. You just need to have a way to ensure that he'll keep doing what he's supposed to. :D
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:56 PM »
Can someone in the party dominate an NPC to do it for you?
Alternatively, let someone who wants to play a different horribly gimped character take the fall. You just need to have a way to ensure that he'll keep doing what he's supposed to. :D
Too late. We're all already horribly gimped in some way, shape or form. ^^;

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
Q24 Can the Abrupt Jaunt ACF be used to trigger Shadow Pounce?

duncandun

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
Q25

Hey AASQ readers.

I've always read(possibly wrongly) that unarmed strike can be used with twf. However the unarmed strike descriptor says specifically that unarmed strikes don't have offhand attacks, and twf specifically says that you get an offhand attack.

Is there a custserv ruling on this? or perhaps a wizards.com FAQ session that disputes or changes this?

or am i  just wrong and need to get a kama or something.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Q25

Hey AASQ readers.

I've always read(possibly wrongly) that unarmed strike can be used with twf. However the unarmed strike descriptor says specifically that unarmed strikes don't have offhand attacks, and twf specifically says that you get an offhand attack.

Is there a custserv ruling on this? or perhaps a wizards.com FAQ session that disputes or changes this?

No you can do it. I've seen many monks with the TWF tree and snap kick, and other feats that'll give them more attacks and whatnot. Most of them hate PF because they made it so that Flurry of Blows actually was TWF.

duncandun

« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »
Q25

Hey AASQ readers.

No you can do it. I've seen many monks with the TWF tree and snap kick, and other feats that'll give them more attacks and whatnot. Most of them hate PF because they made it so that Flurry of Blows actually was TWF.

so how should I throw this at my DM? just because I(and others) have done it before doesnt mean anything when hes reading the book and it says 'unarmed strikes dont have offhand attacks'?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »
so how should I throw this at my DM? just because I(and others) have done it before doesnt mean anything when hes reading the book and it says 'unarmed strikes dont have offhand attacks'?
I'm not sure how you can show it to him other than Pathfinder and go "Explain that then."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2010, 06:40:28 PM »
A25: From the FAQ:

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
To be honest, using TWF with unarmed strikes exclusively is never ruled upon. You can TWF with an unarmed strike and a weapon for sure, but just unarmed strikes? There have been many arguments about it, and basically, the books don't say, and Wizards has never ruled one way or another. Unfortunately, it's up to your DM.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Q26: Is there any way to add the Druid spell list to Ur-Priest or an arcane class without being a True Dragon?  Preferably as spells known in the case of spontaneous arcane classes.  I know I can mimic any 7th level or lower Druid spell with Miracle, but I would like access to 8th and 9th as well as being able to use lower-level spell slots for the lower-level spells.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:42:56 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
Q27:

Regarding Prestige Base Classes:

Quote from: UA
If you use any of the variant classes presented here, the standard version of the class should be unavailable. For instance, you shouldn't include both the standard paladin character class and the paladin prestige class in the same game.

Say you have a DM who loves humor and allows both base classes and the PrC versions of them. Would a Paladin 4 / PrC Paladin 2 get Cha to saves twice, or would it count as being from the same source?

(NOTE: I doubt I'll be able to get away with it, but hell, it'd be funny as hell to try :D)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Q27:

Regarding Prestige Base Classes:

Quote from: UA
If you use any of the variant classes presented here, the standard version of the class should be unavailable. For instance, you shouldn't include both the standard paladin character class and the paladin prestige class in the same game.

Say you have a DM who loves humor and allows both base classes and the PrC versions of them. Would a Paladin 4 / PrC Paladin 2 get Cha to saves twice, or would it count as being from the same source?

(NOTE: I doubt I'll be able to get away with it, but hell, it'd be funny as hell to try :D)
No, it wouldn't stack because it's from the same thing. If it became untyped, or a luck bonus, or anything like that, it'd be different.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
No because it's called the same thing.  It's already untyped.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »
Q28 Is there an feat/item/PrC/CF somewhere for Bardic Music to affect Undead? I know their are class features that grant it for plants...

Q29 What is the easiest way to get a lot of Skeletons? That are proficient with Bows?