Author Topic: Psychic weapon master optimization/early qualification  (Read 3730 times)

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Psychic weapon master optimization/early qualification
« on: May 13, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »
   I wanted to build a Psychic Weapon Master http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d
but I think it needs tweaking.  I wanted to see if I qualify earlier than a straight PsyWar and I also wanted some more versatility so I used an Ardent with Practiced Manifester feat.

Added 1 level of Santified Mind  (Libris Mortis) for the BaB and mental resistance, and also the abilities go well with the Magic Mantle.  but this can be replaced by one more level of Ardent.

3 Ardent/2 Fighter/1 Santified Mind/8-10 Psychic Weapon Master/X Santified Mind

Feats:
1st:  Iron Will
Human: Dodge
Flaw: Psionic Dodge
Mantle: Weapon Focus
Fgt 1: Power Attack
3rd: Practiced Manifester
Fgt 2: Mobility
6th: Psionic Weapon Focus

This build qualifies at level 7 whereas straight PsyWar needs level 8. As for my weapon I was thinking falchion or scythe (DM is allowing conflict mantle to give free weapon prof. as long as I don't abuse it), what weapon would be best for PWM improved crit ability?

I especially need help in picking combat powers as I don't have the most experience with psionics.  I definitely need to get the Conflict Mantle and maybe the Magic Mantle what others would be useful and which could i make use of the substitute power ACF. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Psychic weapon master optimization/early qualification
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
I'm not sure the early qual is worth it in this case. You are down 1 bonus feat vs psw lvl8 and 1 other feat for iron will. You certainly are not making this up in power selection since you are down 4 vs the psw8. I doubt the potential of ardent manifesting will pay off in a half advancement prc.

I like scythes though any x4 crit wpn is good in this class.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »
Ardent will beat the PW easily for both power and PP ... but more importantly the Power level of the powers it gets access to:

Ardent 3/ Fighter 2/ Sanctified Mind 5/ Psychic Weapon Master 10 will have 12 manifester levels ....better to do this:

Ardent 3/ Fighter 2/ Slayer 7/ Psychic Weapon Master 8 = 13 Manifester Levels + Practiced Manifester = 9th lvl Powers

:D

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:39:38 AM »
I'm not sure the early qual is worth it in this case. You are down 1 bonus feat vs psw lvl8 and 1 other feat for iron will. You certainly are not making this up in power selection since you are down 4 vs the psw8. I doubt the potential of ardent manifesting will pay off in a half advancement prc.

I like scythes though any x4 crit wpn is good in this class.

Well the reason i went SM or (thanks to carnivore's suggestion) Slayer is because I'm definitely going to take PWM to lvl  8.  This mean I lose 4 ML regardless. Now i could save the feat and take ardent levels instead of SM but that means i lose BaB.  Since I feel the main point of the build is do what PWM does best as quickly as possible. I'd rather go with the full Bab class. 

@ Carnivore: for SM vs Slayer
How about Ardent 5/ Fighter 2/ Santified Mind 5/ Psychic Weapon Master 8, with 2 ardent lvls coming right after PWM level 8 and filling out last levels with SM.  Slayer is a great BaB class but the class features don't compare.  It has weird anti Illithid stuff (they try to disguise for copyright reasons.)  Also the favored enemy is like a weak version of the ranger's one.  Who would qualify?  Only use I could see is if I say psionics users and Magic/Psionic transparency from Magic Mantle let me affect spell casters.  But that doesn't even seem like an option.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 04:43:12 AM »
I would just go Ardent 10/PWM 8/whatever 2, because dominant ideal is awesome.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 11:42:36 AM »
Carnivore & Surreal: Ardent is the better class. I just find it useful to compare. Also have played more psw.

So what are the mantles and powers you are trying to tie to crit goodness?

Kylas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
Well if I go sanctified mind path I would add Magic, Conflict, and my 3rd is  Freedom or Time (maybe Chaos).  I'd use the Substitute Power ACF (DM will allow 2-3 power switches) to get rid of the Magic mantle's metaphysical weapon power, since it's repeated on the Conflict mantle.  Magic fits any powers theme so i'd replace it with vigor or force screen or if no Time mantle then anticipatory strike.  
In terms of powers i'm not sure if psionic lion charge will be a redundant pick if I also have hustle.  Hustle seems more versatile and practically emulates PLC power, though PLC does give a nice dmg boost when fully augmented especially on crits.  
As for non prestige class feats: Link power, leap attack, maybe one of the other leap attack feats that let you dump AC and expand knowledge(don't know what power to take, mebbe  expansion?)  Any other suggestions or substitutions?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:42:20 PM by Kylas »