Author Topic: Effigy Master  (Read 8623 times)

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Effigy Master
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:37 AM »
So Gnome Artificer was a stumble down a pitch black, dead end. So I've come up with another build.

Stonehunter Gnome
Beguiler 1/Wizard 4/Maester 3/Effigy Master 3/Ultimate Magus 9

Casting 17th Wizard/7th Beguiler

Feats: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Extend Spell, Reach Spell, Persistent Spell, Practiced Spellcaster: Wizard, Practical Metamagic: Persistent Spell, Magical Artisan: Craft Effigy. Also Scribe Scroll. With another feat to choose.

I'm looking for two good Effigys to create. One to Magic Jar my character into. The other as a companion. I believe you can create an Effigy with another template? For example a Feral Dire Lion. In this case doe the Effigy have fast healing due to Hit Die?

Also what ACF should I use instead of Scribe Scroll?

Help on this would be extremely appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:36:18 PM by Nameless Void »
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Effigy Master
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
Why the two levels of rogue?

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:36:20 PM »
The usual shenanegains with effigy master are to just dogpile on the templates.

One that was pretty hilarious back on 339 was the warbeast, woodling, magebred, void mind, half-golem flesh, half-golem clay, half-golem stone, half-golem iron, winged, insectile, multiheaded(lernaean) X3 extra, feral, half-troll, spell warped, half Black dragon, half Blue dragon, half Green dragon, half Red dragon, half White dragon, half Brass dragon, half Bronze dragon, half Copper dragon, half Gold dragon, half Silver dragon, paragon, effigy, Ape.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Nameless Void

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
@Phoenix00: Sorry, was a posting error (doing two things at once). Fixed now :)

How does that work Rymosrac? That would have a ridiculous LA..
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
Any time you can ignore LA is a good time to grab as much of it as you can get your grubby mitts on.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
@Phoenix00: Sorry, was a posting error (doing two things at once). Fixed now :)

How does that work Rymosrac? That would have a ridiculous LA..
Yeah. That LA also doesn't matter jack shit for the template.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
When you make an effigy, you pay for hit dice, not for LA.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:31 PM »
The usual shenanegains with effigy master are to just dogpile on the templates.

One that was pretty hilarious back on 339 was the warbeast, woodling, magebred, void mind, half-golem flesh, half-golem clay, half-golem stone, half-golem iron, winged, insectile, multiheaded(lernaean) X3 extra, feral, half-troll, spell warped, half Black dragon, half Blue dragon, half Green dragon, half Red dragon, half White dragon, half Brass dragon, half Bronze dragon, half Copper dragon, half Gold dragon, half Silver dragon, paragon, effigy, Ape.
I can't even see that in a mental image...good luck RPing that.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »
"You, Freak, obey your master and creator or I'll break you down for scrap and make something less ugly out of you."

Not hard.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
"You, Freak, obey your master and creator or I'll break you down for scrap and make something less ugly out of you."

Not hard.
He wants to be in one.  :)
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
"Yeah my car looks like shit, but you should see the mileage I get." :P

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Ah, slap anyone who looks at you wrong, could work.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Nameless Void

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:39 PM »
 :lmao

Ok, in the interest of not making my DM ate me I'll likely go for something a little less.. Out there.

Ok, so make two nasty combat creatures and enter one via Magic Jar. What to do with my body? I'll likely reduce it to Tiny and put it in a protective box (that can be opened from the inside). What to do with the box?

Also, Familiar-wise, Spell linked Familiar Feat and how to get it a decent UMD to use Wands?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
He wants to be in one.  :)

What she said?

But seriously... Templates are just a stack of abilities, nothing hard to RP there.

But if you really wanted to justify it, there was a massive dragon/troll orgy in a forested area of wild magic, the offspring of which was left to grow there on it's own, influenced through the magic to pick up traits of the forest and insects around it and unfortunately resulting in it's multi-headed deformity. As it aged on it's own, feral and wild, it was eventually picked up and trained as a beast of war, since such a monstrosity could have no other purpose. During it's war days it was infused with magically enhanced spare parts, from flesh to iron and stone and clay, to repair it's various injuries. Eventually it was captured by some illithids and had it's mind taken so that they could use it as their own servant.

Then you decided to make a robot version of it, because robots make everything cooler.

Nameless Void

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
Hold on. But since those abilities are Special Qualities, wouldn't they be lost?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
Hold on. But since those abilities are Special Qualities, wouldn't they be lost?

No.

Only the things listed under "Special Qualities," the things listed under "Special Attacks" which have the (Su) and (Sp) tag (or the (Ex) tag if the saving throw is based on Con), Con and Int scores, and feats (except for those that enhance it's attacks) and skills points are lost. You get everything else, most importantly natural attacks, natural armor, most (Ex) special attacks, and ability boosts other than to Int and Con.

Nameless Void

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
Ahh.

So we're saying a Half Golem, Dire Ape Effigy would:

Retain his speed (including climb speed), AC (does the NA stack or be replaced by the Half-Golems?), full attack, rend, wound, his ability scores (modified as they are for Half-Golem and Effigy).

Lose the feats Alertness and Toughness as they are not combat related, lose Low-light vision and scent. The special qualities berserk, DR 10/silver, haste, immunity to piercing and slashing weapons, magic immunity.

Would he retain his +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and the ability to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or
threatened?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »
The +8 racial on Climb checks and ability to take 10 climbing is a function of having a climb speed.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 10:51:02 PM »

Ok, so make two nasty combat creatures and enter one via Magic Jar. What to do with my body? I'll likely reduce it to Tiny and put it in a protective box (that can be opened from the inside). What to do with the box?

I believe there was a method of storing your body in the Improvement on a sandwich thread which played around with mind switch.  You will have to find a link, the old wizards boards one does not work.

As for templates, don't forget multiheaded.  It lets you increase the HD of a form that cannot be advanced, but more importantly, it grants perfect two-weapon fighting if you are into that kind of thing.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
but more importantly, it grants perfect two-weapon fighting if you are into that kind of thing.

Actually it turns a number of offhands equal to the number of extra heads into mainhands, PTWF is better, as it stacks with things like flurry and haste and such. A slight, but important difference.