Author Topic: Got Rogue 3, don't know what to do with it?  (Read 1994 times)

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
Got Rogue 3, don't know what to do with it?
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:16 PM »
I made this one up for a short campaign(only 4 sessions) a while ago.
DM dislikes anything not in his books(he only owns PHB, DMG & MM 3.5),
but has allowed Completes and FR-Settingstuff before.

So far I'm: Human Rogue 3
STR 14; DEX 17; CON 16; INT 18; WIS 12; CHA 10(lucky rolls)
Feats: Luck of Heroes, Weapon Finesse, whatever I take at ECL 3 :smirk

I made this up as a Skillmonkey and never planed on going beyond ECL 4 at most.
Now the other players are about to start a new campaign with our old characters,
this time maybe up to 20.

I considered:
Wizard 5/ Arcane Trickster -> Taking anvantage of my high INT + no fuss with DM as it's all in his books :rollseyes
Fighter 1/Rogue +1/ Streetfighter -> Does get some neat stuff, usable pretty much from the moment I get another levelup
Swashbuckler 3+ -> takes 2 books, if I want Daring Outlaw and I need to retrain Weapon Finesse ???
More Rogue/ Chameleon -> Just to see a DM cry, I bet he'd let me retrain Luck of Heroes(he thinks it's to powerful^^) for Able Learner :D

I'd like some alternative Builds, either adding casting(INT-based preferred) or combat power(Full BaB, if at all possible)

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Got Rogue 3, don't know what to do with it?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Just a reminder, unless your DM has house ruled the reqs down, you can't actually take Weapon Finesse till 3 if you start as a rogue.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
Don't take weapon finesse anyway.  Just grab a "Fey-Craft" weapon from DMG II.  Save yourself a feat.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:02:10 PM »
Remember the allowed sources.  Feycraft probably won't fly in this game.

Rogue3/Wizard5/Arcane TricksterX is fairly weak.  (One of my friends speaks from experience.)  You could go Human or Gray Elf Rogue1/Wizard19 to achieve similar effects.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Incantratrix is Fr setting :D
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:15:20 PM »
Incantratrix is Fr setting :D

What good does Incanatrix 10 do a Rogue 3 with no Wizard levels? You know, aside from being Incanatrix 10?

He's allowed Completes before? Which version of Completes (CW-CP, or CW-CC)?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
Rogue 3/Wizard 2/Unseen Seer 3/Incantatrix 10/XX2

Edit, Practiced Spellcaster + Hunter's Eye = sneak attack with rays for lots of damage. :)
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:35 PM »
Isn't hunter's eye a ranger spell?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:45:59 PM »
Unseen Seer doesn't care, its free divinations don't have to be from the spell list of the class it got in from.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
rogue3/swashbuckler3/assassin10/swashbuckler4

Personally I'd go for a spiked chain as your weapon so you can create some space between you and your foe. A familiar/improved familiar would give you another skillmonkey.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
Thanks for all the Input, I'll try to answer:

@ Weapon Finesse:
I pointed this out, he told me I could "save" the featslot and take it at level 2.
Could have taken Improved Initiative,
or Combat Expertise(not sure if I should avoid taking this, I don't want to go tripping and my CHA is to low for effective feinting too. Without Deadly Defense it's not so good anyways.)

@ Unseen Seer:
Not gonna fly, especially not in combination with PHB II(did Hunter's Eye exist in Magic of Faerun before? Just curious)

@Completes:
The first 4(Warrior - Adventurer), as these are availible in german.
I do have the newer 3 in english, if only I could talk him into reading them :bigeye

@ Wizard 19 or Incantatrix 10:
My Race and 3 Levels of Rogue are set, all I could possibly shuffle around are 1-2 feats and 13 skillpoints.

@ Spiked chain:
Isn't STR 14 a bit low for a chain-tripper?
Also would require Fighter, for a few extra feats(Ex. Wpn Prof & TWF, if I take Combat Expertise & Imp. Trip  at 3 and 6).

If I'm going to sell my DM on allowing additional books anyways, does anyone know the Rhymesword-PrC from Castlemourne?
It looks like a nice INT-based caster that would easily adapt to Faerun and gets Level 4 arcane spells from a decent list over 10 Levels.
The special, that cought my eye is the ability, to change the enhancement bonus from (greater)magic weapon & magic vestment into a special ability with a spellcraft-check.

Other than that the only INT-based arcane PrC I know of is Cultist of the Shattered Peak from Lost Empires of Faerun.

Maybe I should drop the Idea of going Spellcaster and just stay Rogue, with a dash of Fighter or Barbarian?

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 05:40:30 PM »
The spiked chain is for reach to stay out of attack range for some foes because you are squishy with you d6 hit dice and light armor, the fact that you can disarm and trip with it is a nice extra.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Also look into the Penetrating Strike class variant from Dungeonscape, if at all possible. Craven from Champions of Ruin is an awesome feat for rogues if your DM allows it.