Author Topic: Help with feats for Fleshraker Animal Companion  (Read 11466 times)

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Help with feats for Fleshraker Animal Companion
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »
Exactly what the topic says; I have a fleshraker AC and would like help with her feats. I have 3 extra to choose for her.

Party comp includes: chain fighter (w/15ft reach), soulknife tank, cleric/warpriest, very mobile healbot, shadowdancer rogue striker, and my druid. I have the Companion Spellbond feat, so she will usually be quite well buffed.

I really don't like the PA/Leap Attack route as at the level we are it will make her ineffective at hitting anything important, and she can already maul goons just fine. I have no access to Bo9S or anything Realms-based, can use everything else WotC and some DragMag (by approval).

I have thought about going with Mage Slayer and either Blind-Fight&Pierce Magical Concealment, or Combat Reflexes&Backstab (from Drag). Backstab lets you take AoOs against opponents you flank whenever they attack another character. The chain fighter also has this feat, so it seems I could generate a lot of lose-lose situations for enemies by flanking with him.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Help with feats for Fleshraker Animal Companion
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
check out incarnum stuff. a shape soulmeld feat followed by extra essentia is a soulmeld and 2 essentia. if I recall correctly, mantle of flame/pheonix belt ect would be good.

the trick to the leap attack line is to use shock trooper to change the to-hit penalty into an AC penalty.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:35:02 AM »
Virulent Poison (Savage Species) and Ability Focus (Poison) should stack for a neat +4 to the poison's save DC. With all of the poison attacks that a Fleshraker gets, the dex damage should add up.

Improved Natural Attack (Claw) works if you're out of good feats. You could go for Robilar's Gambit and Karmic Strike if that's your thing.

benjiamon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:33:28 AM »
rend is always good for a laugh

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:51:59 AM »
While not a feat, the venomfire spell works wonders.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »
Rend? I am not familiar with this feat. If you mean Two-Weapon Rend, I don't plan on wasting a feat on TWF.

Venomfire is not allowed, as it is Realms material, but I am aware of it for future games. :)

She comes with INA:Claw, being a Fleshraker, and picking it up for bite is kinda crap.

I have considered the two poison buffing feats, and they are my default option if my DM for some reason nixes teaching my AC 3 ranks of Spellcraft...

I will ask about the Incarnum stuff, as looking at it it seems pretty solid. We don't have any characters using it now, and I don't know how familiar my DM is with it, but it would be pretty neat.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
Maybe see if the DM will let you grab Rapidstrike?  RAW you don't qualify, but maybe your DM will be nice.  That or Imp Unarmed Strike.  So when you pounce you can get off 2 or 3 more attacks (depending on BAB), then get your claws and bite still.  Slap a Monk's Belt on there to help out with damage a little bit.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

benjiamon

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
No there is a feat that actually gives you the ability to rend with natural attacks I think its in the complete book of feats

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
What were the requirements for Draconic Aura: Vigor? If your AC qualifies, it's hella good (restore everyone to half HP between fights). Try Martial Study +martial stance as well.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:07 AM »
What were the requirements for Draconic Aura: Vigor? If your AC qualifies, it's hella good (restore everyone to half HP between fights). Try Martial Study +martial stance as well.

I am compelled to point out that it is highly debatable whether Vigor is a valid choice for the Draconic Aura feat. Vigor is an exclusive aura to the Dragon Shaman. The feat points to a list of selectable auras in Dragon Magic, with no provision that you can select elsewhere.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:51:26 PM »

I am compelled to point out that it is highly debatable whether Vigor is a valid choice for the Draconic Aura feat. Vigor is an exclusive aura to the Dragon Shaman. The feat points to a list of selectable auras in Dragon Magic, with no provision that you can select elsewhere.

Well the draconic aura feat only says that you can choose a draconic aura with a page number directing you to the draconic aura section of that book, there are no restrictions in the feat itself on what draconic auras you can choose with it, so draconic auras from another book are not restricted in any way, so it appears to be a valid choice. It does not say you must pick a draconic aura from the dragon magic book, just that you can pick a dragonic aura.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 04:03:09 AM »
What about Martial Study: Crusader's Strike and Martial Stance: Martail Spirit?  DM permitting, you could use heroics to qualify for Martial Spirit and dismiss the spell.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

S_Jerusalem

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 07:18:35 AM »
ToB/Bo9S is disallowed... however silly I, and most of us, think that is.  :banghead

Rapidstrike is something that I hadn't thought of, and would probably fly just fine, even though the AC technically doesn't qualify. It is one extra attack, which is nice but not as ridiculous as a kung-fu dinosaur.

Thanks for all the good suggestions, everyone!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
Draconic Aura has prerequisites of Character level 3rd, by the way.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
And Virulent Poison have a prereq. of Con 20, which Fleshrakers have trouble achieving.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Just get the Fleshraker a magic item that boost con. It is a good investment anyway as it increases the Poison DC as well as all the normal con benefits.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
Start by making him a Warbeast, thats +3 con, 2 to go.

Can enhancement bonus items be used to fill requisites for feats/classes?