Author Topic: Quori Shards and Metamorphosis  (Read 4249 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Quori Shards and Metamorphosis
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »
Eberron Campaign Setting 264 has rules for embedding shards into a Kalashtar or Inspired.  What happens if I'm a Dragonborn Kalashtar with some embedded shards and use metamorphosis to become a dragon?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Quori Shards and Metamorphosis
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 08:14:01 PM »
you loose access to the Shards as long as you dont fullfill the reqs for Implanting them

:D

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
Do polymorph effects change your creature type? You should still qualify for the shards but what happens to them when you transform is beyond me.

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:32:15 AM »
Two things

1)  Metamorphosis unlike Polymorph doesn't require you to have a minimal hit dice to change into a new form.  The only dependent characteristic is manifester level, and the new form hit dice is 15 or less.
1b)  You can combine the magic mantle (to give perfect transparency) with the feat reserves of strength, to break the 15 hit dice cap.  Now there are two interperations of the feat.  One interpretation of the feat is that you can you break the cap from 15 to 15+3 for a total of 18 HD forms.  The other interpretation of the feat is that you completely break the cap.  If so, a 10th level caster can assume 30 hit dice forms with 10 quori shards and so on.

2)  You can always do a UMD check to retain use of the Quori Shards while you are in dragon form.

Quote from: srd
Task  /   Use Magic Device DC
Emulate a race  /   25
Emulate a Race

Some magic items work only for members of certain races, or work better for members of those races. You can use such an item as if you were a race of your choice. You can emulate only one race at a time.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 04:34:55 AM »
Do polymorph effects change your creature type? You should still qualify for the shards but what happens to them when you transform is beyond me.
I've always felt fuzzy about this, but have been assuming yes.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
As far as I know, yes, you change type, but then I don't allow that spell, so I'm far from an expert.

That said, I'm itching to play a Psion PC for once (which I've never used, not even a bit of, and know the rules only from what I'd seen used against me, which is gishes and a blaster). Care to post your build so I can study it?

Am I better off with a Magic Transparent (Mantle) Spell-to-Power Erudite, or do I otherwise combine the 2 to godly power?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:35:23 AM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.