Author Topic: What are the limits of Soulbound Weapon?  (Read 10430 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: What are the limits of Soulbound Weapon?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:42 PM »
No, you can't. Call Weaponry specifies a weapon "made of ordinary materials for its type", and the ACF doesn't have language overriding this part of the power (unlike the bit about not calling a specific weapon).
Well, a deep crystal sword is ordinarily made from deep crystal...
I call bullshit on the grounds that the line is therefore pointless, since every specific weapon is made from that specific weapon's ordinary materials, by definition. The Ruby Rod of Asmodeus is made of ordinary materials for Ruby Rods of Asmodeus.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
No, you can't. Call Weaponry specifies a weapon "made of ordinary materials for its type", and the ACF doesn't have language overriding this part of the power (unlike the bit about not calling a specific weapon).
Well, a deep crystal sword is ordinarily made from deep crystal...
I call bullshit on the grounds that the line is therefore pointless, since every specific weapon is made from that specific weapon's ordinary materials, by definition. The Ruby Rod of Asmodeus is made of ordinary materials for Ruby Rods of Asmodeus.
My suggestion is you talk to your DM about allowing you to buy a weapon and summon different versions of it. Maybe you'll have to go on a quest to attune your soul to it or something, but it could work.

That, or invent an entirely new kind of exotic weapon and use that. Since there's only one, you'll have to use different forms of it. And if it's adamantine, deep crystal, or something else...well then.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 07:12:55 PM »
True, that. Man, am I being an asshole today or what? Rereading those posts I made, they're kind of aggressively worded. Eh.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
Well, there are some minor abuses you can pull with this, aside from the aforementioned "call monk" use of the power:

1) Custom Bane weapons.  See some Mind Flayers?  Summon an Abberation Bane Psibane weapon for 11 pp.  Demons?  Holy Evil Outsider Bane.  You can pretty easily get a free +2 or +4 to your attack rolls and a few d6's on each hit.
2) Weapons with daily limits on use.  The limits are refreshed every time you use this power, so you can use the Lucky enhancement every battle instead of every fight, or the Stunning Surge enhancement pretty much every single round.

Considering the net cost of the ACF, it's not all that bad for weapon-oriented Psychic Warriors, even if you're primarily going to use some other weapon.

Sounds a lot like Weapon Enhancement Infusion trick for Artificers.  I bet digging into some Artificer Guides can give some nice ideas...isn't there a Faerun weapon enhancement that can give like 10 charges of rerolls?

-K

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Eh Bauglir don't worry ... everyone has a bad day.

I contradicted Lyca one time  :D

Soulbound's aug while expensive, is kinda nice.
Pull out some CL+ML increasers and the ppoints to power it = epic mods early.
PsyWar 2 dip with the correct Psiotheurgist feat, tagged with high MLs.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »
Sounds a lot like Weapon Enhancement Infusion trick for Artificers.  I bet digging into some Artificer Guides can give some nice ideas...isn't there a Faerun weapon enhancement that can give like 10 charges of rerolls?
Doomwarding. It's only 7, but hey.