Author Topic: Psychic Crush: Move over, bucket of water!  (Read 4687 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Psychic Crush: Move over, bucket of water!
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:03:57 AM »
Psychic crush sets a creature's HP to -1 if it fails a save.  Unlike a bucket of water, this won't "reduce" anyone's HP, nor will it cause drowning.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
Re: Psychic Crush: Move over, bucket of water!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 06:07:30 AM »
Psychic crush sets a creature's HP to -1 if it fails a save.  Unlike a bucket of water, this won't "reduce" anyone's HP, nor will it cause drowning.
the bucket is far easier, though.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
Costs pp to use and requires someone able to manifest the power to be in the party. Also is lowering your will save, a voluntary mental action, even possible to use while ragefrenzying? I mean, what difference does hearing the word stop and choosing to heed it have over hearing a suggested stop and choosing to lower your will save to heed it?

Think of the bucket as in fact a large chalice stolen from any inn, or a water proof hat, or any container on hand, balanced on a rock, bush, tree, or even held in your hands. As soon as you pass out you collapse and the "bucket" spills the water out. You can't drown, it's practically free, anyone which includes you in the party can use it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:20 PM »
Didn't they errata the drowning rules to fix that, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
besides the fact that the RAI definately did not intend you to gain hp... me likes
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
Mind Crush!

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
Mind Crush!
It would certainly come in handy in that episode where Joey changed his name to Steve.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:04:37 PM »
Lowering spell resistance is a standard action; you can simply choose to fail a saving throw if you want to.

And psychic crush is terribad. It's worse than a save or die (since the target doesn't actually die), is "Will negates," is [mind-affecting] and so doesn't affect half the creatures in the game, doesn't have a scaling DC via augmentation, and it is far less useful than psionic dominate, since PD brings the creature in question over to your side rather than putting it out of commission.

No sir, I don't like it.

However, it might have a few (extremely) niche uses, such as recovering from infinite damage loops and such.

But why not use a power stone at that point?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:07:40 AM »
recovering from infinite damage loops and such.
point of thread  :p
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:14:14 PM »
recovering from infinite damage loops and such.
point of thread  :p
And that shouldn't come up often enough to be an issue, so use a power stone.

Point of post. :p
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 05:39:03 PM »
I suppose it's situationally useful for Omniscifier-esque damage loops. Frenzied Berserker, not so much. Some DMs might rule that voluntarily failing a saving throw isn't "fighting to the best of your ability" --but then again, a DM who would let you use Psychic Crush to increase HP would probably not have much of a problem with that. :P

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 12:29:27 AM »
Some DMs might rule that voluntarily failing a saving throw isn't "fighting to the best of your ability"
I'm pretty sure ticking your head in a bucket to drown isn't your best fighting choice either.

I asked this one before though: What difference does hearing the word stop and choosing to heed it have over hearing a suggested stop and choosing to lower your will save to heed it? Both are voluntary mental choices to accept the order to stop fighting and obey it.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
Some DMs might rule that voluntarily failing a saving throw isn't "fighting to the best of your ability"
I'm pretty sure ticking your head in a bucket to drown isn't your best fighting choice either.

I asked this one before though: What difference does hearing the word stop and choosing to heed it have over hearing a suggested stop and choosing to lower your will save to heed it? Both are voluntary mental choices to accept the order to stop fighting and obey it.

I know. That's why I said it's not very useful for Frenzied Berserkers and the like. It's the same reason that IHS won't work to end a frenzy.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 02:44:18 AM »

I know. That's why I said it's not very useful for Frenzied Berserkers and the like. It's the same reason that IHS won't work to end a frenzy.

Clearly, the best solution is to give the Frenzied Berserker a bucket of water and bluffing him that it's a helmet that makes him super-powerful, and it only works while the water's in it. Also, don't use it unless you have to.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »

Clearly, the best solution is to give the Frenzied Berserker a bucket of water and bluffing him that it's a helmet that makes him super-powerful, and it only works while the water's in it. Also, don't use it unless you have to.
won't work, he is too busy stabbing you.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
Spray him with a decanter of endless water until he chokes?
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
Put a command word activated mask of endless water on him and yell the word when the time comes?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
Go assplomancer on his...err...ass.

Then have a revivify ready to use.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
Go assplomancer on his...err...ass.

Then have a revivify ready to use.

Wouldn't it just be easier to, you know, Time Hop everyone else into the future?

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »
Thayan Knight 2, auto-fail will saves vs. Red Wizard.