Author Topic: Help With a Tome Dragon  (Read 3892 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Help With a Tome Dragon
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Hi all,

I love the Tome Dragon, from Dragon #331. In particular, I'm excited by the prospect of knowing every single Sorcerer Divination and Conjuration spell in existence. My only problem with the Dragon has to be that damned LA. +5 for a Wyrmling or Very Young Dragon means a Tome Dragon is going to be massively behind a standard Sorcerer in spell levels, even if you use Loredrake. Is there any way of further boosting the Tome Dragon's spellcasting capabilities? So far, my only solution has been to kill the Dragon several times, casting Raise Dead on it each time to lose a level. This would work best with the Juvenile tome Dragon, which has +7 LA, 12HD and a caster level of 9. Taking it down to 1HD, and taking Loredrake, would result in a ECL 8 creature, with 1 HD, and a caster level of 11.

Is there any better way of improving the Tome Dragon's spellcasting, or is this basically the only option?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Help With a Tome Dragon
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »
Take one as a cohort with the Dragon Cohort feat to lower its LA by 3. It will be two levels lower due to being a cohort, but that's a net gain (and could be improved with the Close Cohort feat). Alternatively, see if you can somehow shuffle things around so that you gain a cohort and apply the benefits of the feat to yourself. If not, you may be able to designate the "master" as a familiar or something.

Either that or make it a Tome Tome dragon. :p

EDIT: You could take Practiced Spellcaster at least.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:18:30 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:31:27 AM »
Loredrake sovereign archetype from dragons of ebberron, that should give you 2 extra levels of sorcerer casting, combined with LA buyoff you can get 9th level spells.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »
Level Adjustment Buyoff
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingleveladjustments.htm

nm... can only buy off 1 level when you start with an LA5.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:08:37 PM by Nunkuruji »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »
He said he was already using Loredrake.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]