Author Topic: Psycarnum Infusion + Midnight X, ROUND TWO  (Read 9147 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Psycarnum Infusion + Midnight X, ROUND TWO
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
One more point: Shape Soulmeld.

Any psionic character that takes this feat can have an essentia receptacle while having no essentia.  He can, however, use Psycarnum Infusion to treat the receptacle as full.

While Soulmelds don't have the 1/day limitation, it's pretty obvious that the character is never investing essentia because he has none to invest.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
One more point: Shape Soulmeld.

Any psionic character that takes this feat can have an essentia receptacle while having no essentia.  He can, however, use Psycarnum Infusion to treat the receptacle as full.

While Soulmelds don't have the 1/day limitation, it's pretty obvious that the character is never investing essentia because he has none to invest.
Discussed.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
Must have missed it despite reading the whole thread.  Eh, I blame it on being over several days.

EDIT: just searched the entire thread and did't see it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:03:07 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »
I didn't use the same words, but I brought up the topic of someone without any essentia.

How would, under your interpretation, a person with zero essentia (none at all), invest essentia into anything, be it a soulmeld, incarnum feat, class feature, or any other incarnum receptacle?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:18 AM »
Finally he has seen the light. We can all stop trying.
I agreed with you on part A
He agrees that Psycarnum Infusion doesn't need to involve any form of investment or actual essentia to work.
Um. I didn't change my mind. Part A (on 4th read) doesn't mention the condition of the investment or non-investment of essentia.

Ah I see why you thought that. Here's why I think A is correct (but probably for different reasons than you)

You fill up that receptacle slightly. Then you use PSI to make the feat provide the investment for up to its max. Then when you try to take all the essentia out, the part provided by PSI doesn't add into your essentia pool, though the one you put in initially does since this did come from a source of bonus essentia.

Furthermore, during that one turn the receptacle is still maxed out after you take your initially invested (the part from you, not PSI) out because of the 'Until the start of your next turn' part.

But anyways. Any headway on the last part of my previous post, guys?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
Finally he has seen the light. We can all stop trying.
I agreed with you on part A
He agrees that Psycarnum Infusion doesn't need to involve any form of investment or actual essentia to work.
Um. I didn't change my mind. Part A (on 4th read) doesn't mention the condition of the investment or non-investment of essentia.

Ah I see why you thought that. Here's why I think A is correct (but probably for different reasons than you)

You fill up that receptacle slightly. Then you use PSI to make the feat provide the investment for up to its max. Then when you try to take all the essentia out, the part provided by PSI doesn't add into your essentia pool, though the one you put in initially does since this did come from a source of bonus essentia.

Furthermore, during that one turn the receptacle is still maxed out after you take your initially invested (the part from you, not PSI) out because of the 'Until the start of your next turn' part.

But anyways. Any headway on the last part of my previous post, guys?
Two essentia are invested before, cap is two essentia, then PSI is used, no essentia is invested. Two essentia are taken out, the effect of two essentia still being in there is still happening, PSI has already been activated, so you can't say I am investing essentia now, but you might be able to argue that PSI generates essentia, I still stand there is no essentia gained from it, but with this we see that PSI does not need to invest to work, which was the question.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 12:55:04 AM »
Thought just came to me, where are we investing essentia from?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
slight thread necromancy at request of PM.

the answer to the above question is I don't know

the one above that I must confess I started to get ADD with this topic and lost the motivation to follow (always happens to me after about 20 replies in the same thread)

however by letting the topic on the back-burning I finally found the RAI that could convince me that my reading is incorrect: voila

Notice that the summaries are very mechanically accurate but this version doesn't have the pesky "as if it had essentia invested in it" part

so... if everything works then the only dirty handbook fix problem is the possible stacking bonus pp
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r