Author Topic: Damage Reduction  (Read 4243 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Damage Reduction
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 03:38:16 AM »
I think the best you can do at low-mid levels is a natural lycanthrope with 5 levels of Black Blood Hunter (PgtF 177), which gives you DR 15/silver. You could have that at ECL 11, possibly earlier if you've been buying off LA.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:12 AM »
And blow your feats on Thick-skinned for another 2/silver per.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 04:01:22 AM »
...and then be stabbed to death with a fork by grandma...

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 04:03:16 AM »
Which just tells you... next time grandma tells you to eat your vegetables, you eat your damn vegetables.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:04 AM »
Another way to get some good DR relatively early on is going Warlock with the Fey Heritage feat line. Human/Strongheart Halfling and flaws let you accomplish decent amounts of DR/cold iron quite nicely by, say, 8th level. Warlocks aren't totally fragile, and some of your Invocations will require you to be at least close to the front lines. Paired with DR 7/cold iron, you'll survive most things that could hit you - while you're exploiting Fell Flight to be safe from charger builds.

DR of any kind is best paired with two other things: a) the ability to endure at least a little HP damage now and then (like not being a Con 8 Sorcerer), and b) the ability to avoid the most HP damaging kinds of attacks, like charges (flight works wonders here). If these conditions are met, even mediocre amounts of DR can be worth it: you'll avoid the really big hits, and the small ones won't bother you at all.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Another way to get some good DR relatively early on is going Warlock with the Fey Heritage feat line. Human/Strongheart Halfling and flaws let you accomplish decent amounts of DR/cold iron quite nicely by, say, 8th level. Warlocks aren't totally fragile, and some of your Invocations will require you to be at least close to the front lines. Paired with DR 7/cold iron, you'll survive most things that could hit you - while you're exploiting Fell Flight to be safe from charger builds.

Unless it's a crazy Hood...

DR of any kind is best paired with two other things: a) the ability to endure at least a little HP damage now and then (like not being a Con 8 Sorcerer), and b) the ability to avoid the most HP damaging kinds of attacks, like charges (flight works wonders here). If these conditions are met, even mediocre amounts of DR can be worth it: you'll avoid the really big hits, and the small ones won't bother you at all.

IU know the LA sucks, but take everything you just said with the Fey Heritage Feats and apply them to an Invisible Flying Eldritch Blast (Hellfire?) spewing Warlock Build...

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »
If your character has Heavy Armour proficiency you can get DR 10\- with just money. Adamantine full plate + augment crystal + scroll/wand of Heroics to get the feat heavy armour specialization. I did this in a campaign I played through, if your DM likes melee monsters it is actually worth doing.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
If your character has Heavy Armour proficiency you can get DR 10\- with just money. Adamantine full plate + augment crystal + scroll/wand of Heroics to get the feat heavy armour specialization. I did this in a campaign I played through, if your DM likes melee monsters it is actually worth doing.

Get the 4 earth elemental grafts (Magic of Eberron) and you bump that up to DR 13/- plus you also gain a burrow speed, fortification, improved NA, and tremorsense.
---

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
Which just tells you... next time grandma tells you to eat your vegetables, you eat your damn vegetables.
Win.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]