Author Topic: ECL 10 Glass Cannon/Corpse suggestions, please?  (Read 6900 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: ECL 10 Glass Cannon/Corpse suggestions, please?
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 04:28:59 AM »
Alternatively, take eight levels in whatever the heck class you like, and start bugging the DM about LA buyoff.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 04:41:37 AM »
I think scaring the DM might not be in my best interest. Also, weenog has reminded me that our DM might not be OK with subraces. I could ask still, though.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 05:38:00 AM »
Hmm.  I'd suggest Cleric:
Some combination of:
- with Trickery Domain (for skill access)
- Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment(Kobold Domain))
- Sun domain - vs. undead
- Initiate of Mystra (access to anyspells, etc.)

Some spells for skillmonkeys:
- Weildskill
- Guidance of the Avatar
- Divine Insight

Optimize vs. undead (I think this can be done reasonably cheaply):
- http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141266
- There is a spell that makes you invisible to undead
- perhaps create a healer ... you can heal your allies and harm undead at the same time!

Optimize vs. constructs (nothing comes to mind, but I know there are spells that are weak vs. living and strong vs. constructs).

Best,
David

Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:11 AM »
I think I'll go with something similar to that factotum build. The knowledge devotion I can't take due to clerics only getting 1 domain in this game, and the conjurer dip would also be a bad idea due to some modifications to the game, but otherwise factotum seems like a good idea.

Defense should be fine anyways, though.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
I think I'll go with something similar to that factotum build. The knowledge devotion I can't take due to clerics only getting 1 domain in this game, and the conjurer dip would also be a bad idea due to some modifications to the game, but otherwise factotum seems like a good idea.

Cloistered clerics normally get the knowledge domain for free in addition to any other domains they have so in a normal game they start with 3 domains.  I already decremented that by 1 in my build.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 09:39:15 PM »

Cloistered clerics normally get the knowledge domain for free in addition to any other domains they have so in a normal game they start with 3 domains.  I already decremented that by 1 in my build.

Oh, ok! That's helpful.
The lack of fire elves complicates things slightly, but apparently normal elves have an additional +1 to int, which should help as slightly at least.

Thinking
str 10
dex 16
con 12
int 18 + 2
wis 10
cha 7

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 03:33:03 AM »
It seems this would be more complicated than I thought. We might have neglected to mention that since this is an ongoing campaign, so dipping into something into a class that isn't favored would be complicated. At least, changing the favored class would cost the same as 1 LA, which would be less than ideal.

I still very much like the factotum class, it would be nice to keep working around that. I'm currently looking to see if there's other cleric domains which would be helpful, as that knowledge devotion looks quite helpful, though having a dip into something else, if anything, would be ok too.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 03:45:08 AM »
Go human, have factotum be the main class, and keep dips to one or two levels, I think that prevents xp penalties.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »
XP penalties aren't a huge problem here.  We have the option to spend XP as if buying off LA +1 in order to change a character's FC.  Starting with enough XP to be into ECL 10, 3,000 XP lost as if having bought off LA +1 (assuming he doesn't have any real LA in addition) at level 3 stings, but it's not crippling.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kyprioth

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 04:01:14 AM »
Go human, have factotum be the main class, and keep dips to one or two levels, I think that prevents xp penalties.

Damn. That is so obvious, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. You're right. That would solve the problems to a large extent, specially since I wouldn't really get an int boost out of a normal elf anyways.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.