Author Topic: Dark Heresy  (Read 1917 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Dark Heresy
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
I just spent an hour or so flipping through all of the published books, and am impressed with how well it captures the Warhammer 40k universe and am looking forward to Deathwatch coming out.

The question is: Does anybody actually play this?  How well does it run? 
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: Dark Heresy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I have played it a couple of times and it runs ok, system can be a bit clunky and the wealth system is a bit biased...

Also watch out for players using adeptas sororitas sister because when roleplayed correctly they are like lawful stupid paladins. Anything differing from the normal and they WILL shoot you and probably kill you too...

That and nobody is to play a space marine, make sure to emphasize to your players that you are covert agents not fighting machines. last I checked a space marine can throw bolter shells harder than you can fire them....

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:36:20 PM »
I have no group and thus no players, not actually thinking of running this.   :P

Was just curious about people's experiences.
Notes to self

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:07 AM »
The biggest issue I had with the game was the preferred ratio of success that influenced their design. New characters are basically bad at everything, but by "bad" I mean REALLY bad. The best chances of success linger around 33%. D&D's preferred success rate is half, you're usually supposed to succeed on an 11 on a d20 at most levels. Dark Heresy requires more luck because you have to roll better than a 33 on a d100, which never comes, so the game feels goofy at lower levels and basic successes take longer.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:29:25 AM »
Yeah, the fail rate is pretty terrible. So much so that I have heard this game be referred to as 'Black Adder in Space'.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:57 AM »
The Traditional Games subforum at Somethingawful reports that it's fun enough if you play it with 'fun' in mind.

In the sense of losing is fun and you should make as many things lose with you as you can.
Asploding Psykers yay!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »
Really it plays in a similar way to call of cthulhu at lower levels... You WILL die and it will probably be in an unspeakably gruesome and horrific way... or you could go insane/Turn to Chaos which leads to even more gruesome and horrific

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 03:02:25 PM »
Yep, so the idea is to enjoy the journey and not the destination. :D
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
Works for me! 
Notes to self

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:10:44 AM »
Yeah, the fail rate is pretty terrible. So much so that I have heard this game be referred to as 'Black Adder in Space'.
Do want! :D

Heck, reminds me of that Blackadder 40K fanfic :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 02:45:30 AM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:47:24 AM by Solo »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 03:53:47 AM »
Heck, reminds me of that Blackadder 40K fanfic :)
I wrote that.

There's Tales from the Black Millennium and More Tales from the Black Millennium so far.
Cheers.

I really liked it :D
Captures the Blackadder feel as far as I'm concerned, and didn't get too ridiculous in it's 40K grimdarkness.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol