Author Topic: Uses for Explosive Runes?  (Read 11836 times)

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Uses for Explosive Runes?
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »
So they're nice because at the end of the day, you can make a stockpile of these things out of your unused spell slots.
But what are you actually supposed to do with them?

Also, what constitutes a rune?
Am I allowed to etch a single letter each spell in such a way that multiple explosive runes form a word?

Thanks!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Uses for Explosive Runes?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
What are you supposed to do i have no idea but here are some things i have done with them:

once made a 'cursed' item that would cast quickened dispel magic and automatically roll a 1 for the CL check. since that put the CL check below even the base to succeed it would detonate Explosive runes for free 1/r.

Once made a scroll the had "F You" written in huge lettering on it. Every part of that texts was an explosive rune.

Since it never addressed it we had a house rule that if the explosive runes go off if the surface they are on is damaged, this allowed for hilarity as we would pile up stacks of pebbles and parchment with runes on them and set one off as the initial charge to make the whole pile blow. We also used this in a module by putting them all over a courtyard while a Drow high priestess gave a speech, we left and took out everything with the chain reaction.

another idea is if you can get the equivalent of scotch tape to cast the runes on you do that and then tape them to objects as needed and set them off. If the auto fail dispel item won't fly how about a spyglass and have a party member read it from more than 10' away. Quick way to blast through a wall 6d6 force damage isn't insignificant for an object and you can stack them up there.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:30:25 AM »
another idea is if you can get the equivalent of scotch tape to cast the runes on you do that and then tape them to objects as needed and set them off. If the auto fail dispel item won't fly how about a spyglass and have a party member read it from more than 10' away. Quick way to blast through a wall 6d6 force damage isn't insignificant for an object and you can stack them up there.

This reminded me of the explosive bandaids from XXX.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
Wanna get past the guards at the gate so you can fight through the castle and take out the king? Arrow with a message, wall of the gate. Be a bitch and address it to the king, if you don't wanna raid the place on the way in.  :D

I had a great uncanny trickster who would cast them on small messages, and then slip the pieces of paper into enemies pockets, run away, come back after the boom and sneak attack them for the final kill. If there was a need for it.

I just really like explosive magic...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 05:06:31 PM »

See my sig.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:29:05 PM »

See my sig.
Wow i didn't know Michael Bay frequented here  :lol
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Use that hidden page spell thing to hide the pages of your spellbook inside a book that's nothing but dozens of explosive runes per page.

Then have a contingency failed CL dispell magic set up on the book set to go off anytime someone other than yourself tries to prepare or copy spells from it.

Especially mean to do if you're the Lich that the party just killed and looted. ;)

Also, "Kick Me" signs that are explosives runes.

"If you can read this, EXPLOSIVE RUNES" bumper stickers.

And the classic "I prepared explosive runes today" flyers.

Pretty much any time you can make someone read something that would be humorous and/or beneficial for them to also explode.

Many of these work great with Sepia Snake Sigil too.

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 03:58:27 AM »
And the classic "I prepared explosive runes today" flyers.

This sounds like the best T-Shirt.

Great suggestions, guys. I've gotten quite a bit of inspiration from these.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:00:06 AM »
I had a "trap" of sorts, once, for some pcs. Lead lined scroll case, jammed with 30 sheets of Explosive Runes, with a minimum level dispel glyph trap tied to opening the scroll case on the sheets. A Nystul's Aura was also on it to make it appear non-magical. The party received it from a much lower level npc working  for the bbeg they had "intimidated" to giving up his boss's secret plans. Knowing the BBEG, they hit the case with a detect magic because they were cocky, instead of the arcane sight they had previously been using. Then they opened the case.

Needless to say, 4 of the six died to the resulting explosion. The only guy with evasion was the one opening the case, which removed his save. One of the survivors was outside standing guard. The other survivor was outside the range of the blast.

The party put more ranks in sense motive after that, and properly checked things magically.

Once they get res'd.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »
If you're ever imprisoned, offer to sign a full confession for your crimes, whether you committed them or not. Sign with Explosive Runes. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere, but I can't remember where...
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
If you're ever imprisoned, offer to sign a full confession for your crimes, whether you committed them or not. Sign with Explosive Runes. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere, but I can't remember where...
"What do you mean my confession exploded!? I guess I'll just have to sign another one."  :devil

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »
Would Fell Drain work with the book bomb* trick or not?

*fill a book with E-Runes, then fail dispel it all

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
Fell Animate Explosive Runes?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »
Underdark has the spell "Stick" I think it's a cantrip, and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It adheres two objects together with a force akin to a weak glue. One could make single use sticky bomb like objects just by combining ER and Stick, and having someone read them from ten feet away, using a mirror if necessary.

Honestly you could do the same with delayed blast fireball, and probably for more damage...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
Would Fell Drain work with the book bomb* trick or not?

*fill a book with E-Runes, then fail dispel it all
I prefer using Zap Trap for that purpose.  Just cover a weapon with 'em.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
Stick them inside the party asshole's backpack. Just make sure you are at least 10 feet away when he readies his gear in the morning.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
Leave a 'message' for the BBEG who's stalking you. Also works if the guards are going to find your handywork. >=)
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »
two words: bathroom graffiti

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 06:35:04 AM »
Calling card at a murder. If you do it right, all evidence can be destroyed too...