Author Topic: Saint/VOP Blaster Cleric  (Read 3382 times)

Strego

• Monkey bussiness
Saint/VOP Blaster Cleric
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Saint/VOP Blaster Cleric
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
Clerics are weak blasters until they get Flame Strike, unless they're fighting undead. Eldritch Disciple from Complete Mage fits the job description for a healer/blaster, but the payoff doesn't really come until mid levels.

So the real options:

1. Archer Cleric with Spell-Storing arrows holding Inflict spells. (no VoP)

2. Cleric with Magic Domain blasting with wands until Flame Strike. (no VoP)

3. Play an Archivist (Heroes of Horror) and learn blasting spells from cleric scrolls of domain spells. (no Cleric, no VoP)

4. Forget blasting and go buffing / battlefield control. Beguiler or Dragonfire Bard can do this and still heal. (no Cleric, though Vow of Nonviolence works for Beguilers)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:25:00 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:25:14 AM »
A Cleric's main role is buffing his party, healing his party out of combat, making undead, and melee/archery.

I tried going against the grain with my Cloistered Cleric.  The DM hounded me awhile for it and the group's Artificer called me "useless."
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Strego

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »
Good points, I have have played cleric quite a bit and with VOP I was going to try and do something different, but your right its just not really in the cards for a cleric. Too bad Divine Magician doesn't allow spells from Evocation  :smirk . Guess I'm just going to settle for being awesome controller/healer. Thanks for the input!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
Could grab a domain that grants a spell you can use to qualify for a Reserve Feat (like the 60 ft line of lightning. If your DM doesn't use/check errata, it has no save) and just minor warlock your way through until you get flame strike. With a party like that, you'll want to work on not constantly outshining them, and that may be one way to do it.

Also, what's the melee/tank player going to bring in? It might help to aim you a little.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
Any Cleric with access to Magic of Faerun knows and can prepare mystic lash.  It's an [Evil] spell (:rollseyes) but preparing it shouldn't change your alignment.  Use it to fuel Storm Bolt.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"