Author Topic: [3.5/Homebrew]You got your sci-fi in my fantasy! Playtesting Metroid as Incarnum  (Read 2463 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
I've been making a homebrew system (working name: Metroid as Incarnum) based off the ideas of Magic of Incarnum. It's gotten pretty big (about 130 pages in MS Word, about 80 pages in the format used by these boards). I want to playtest it. Would anyone be interested in trying it out with me? It could be a proper game, or just a simple playtest game like the Elemental Mage Test Game, whichever people prefer. If it's a real game, the setting and flavor is mutable. It doesn't necessarily need to be Metroid themed, and could probably be reflavored to standard fantasy rather than sci-fi if you want.

Here's the table of contents with links if anyone wants to look.
[spoiler]
Overview
Base Classes
Prestige Classes
Prestige Classes (Continued)
Modules (A-C)
Modules (D-H)
Modules (I-P)
Modules (Q-Z)
Incomplete Modules
Feats
Spells, Equipment
Races, Monsters
Additional Rules, Adaptation
Reference lists and data
[/spoiler]

It's not done yet; I'm still tweaking the higher level abilities a bit, there are more PrCs to be made, and plenty of design space left untapped for more modules. However, playing with it would show off what needs tweaking, what is missing that needs including, and what does or doesn't work.

So, is anyone interested?

Edit: Updated table of contents.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:11:26 PM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
sounds complicated but interesting. I don't have much else to do so I'll start reading up on what you have so far.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

solara

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
This looks like the perfect system to play Iron Man in; even better than a Warforged Warlock/Artificer. I'd like to play, and can begin seriously reading in a few days. Do you have a .pdf or .doc I could read, though; these forums just aren't conducive to my reading for some reason . . .

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Sorry, I don't have any good compilation of it all yet. It's still in flux, so I keep it as a series of text files, one for each post. I could combine them into a single file easily enough, if you'd like.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Sorry, I don't have any good compilation of it all yet. It's still in flux, so I keep it as a series of text files, one for each post. I could combine them into a single file easily enough, if you'd like.
That should help.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

solara

That would be great. I'm just weird about how I like to read things. For some reason, the blue background just bothers me . . . if you post it like it is, but on GitP, I wouldn't have a problem (though I like having what I look at independent of internet).

garryl_s uncle

• Monkey bussiness
I suppose I could be talked into joining ...

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Is anyone still interested in trying this? I still am, and my time is freeing up a bit in the next few weeks. If anyone is interested, please say so.

Also, does anyone know a good file sharing site? I tried sticking the full text file on Google Docs, but it kept failing whenever I tried to save.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

LordBadguy

• Monkey bussiness
I'd LOVE to get in on this. Either as a playtester and/or submitting material. While I'm not too familiar with metroid, I'm a big fan of the incarnum system and am always happy to see it get some homebrew love.

I'm currently looking over your soulmeld list... there's a lot to read through.  :D

solara

I'd still like to do something like this.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1hpLaGg27nD838CNPT0yrgjuLSOkLtGlGUFWkdMTppBQ&hl=en

This is a link to Metroid as Incarnum on Google Docs. The formatting is a bit messed up, especially the tables, but if you absolutely need to have it in a single file, here it is. Be careful, it's long. It was over 200 pages in MS Word before uploading.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

LordBadguy

• Monkey bussiness
I can't go into much detail at the moment because I have a paper that I'm supposed to be writing, but I'd be interested in giving the Pirate Trooper (or "Scavenger" as you had mentioned renaming it to in the other thread) a spin. I also have some notes scribbled down about some of the soulme-modules, but I'll type those up when I have the time.

Odinson

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
I'm definitely interested in playtesting for you. Just let me know when and where!

Garryl

• Hong Kong
I figure we could set up a PbP subforum here. We can do it as soon as we feel ready and can agree on what to do and how to do it. My vote is to start at level 5 and try it from there. Just make up a character build for that level and we can see where it goes and how everyone feels compared to the rest. If you want to combine the MaI (Metroid as Incarnum) stuff with other D&D classes, go ahead. There are dual progression PrCs for a reason. It would also help show how these classes feel compared to the standard ones.

Unless someone else wants to run this, I can whip up some encounters and even some "plot" linking them together. I think it would be nice to do a proper PbP game of it, rather than a dryer playtesting game.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Odinson

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
I wouldn't want to run it for you, but I am all for helping you out with whatever whenever.