Author Topic: Dragon wildshape = 4th level sorcerer spells? Optimization help request.  (Read 1884 times)

Propaganda

• Monkey bussiness
  • Surprise!
    • Email
If you (and your DM) buy the argument that spellcasting is an ex ability, it follows that if you wildshape into a young adult Steel Dragon (16 hd), you gain the abilities of a 9th level sorcerer.

1.  Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, then:
2. How might a druid best optimize their choices of up to 4th level wiz/sorcerer spells?  Are there spells that synergize particularly well with a druid's abilities?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
If you (and your DM) buy the argument that spellcasting is an ex ability, it follows that if you wildshape into a young adult Steel Dragon (16 hd), you gain the abilities of a 9th level sorcerer.

1.  Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, then:
2. How might a druid best optimize their choices of up to 4th level wiz/sorcerer spells?  Are there spells that synergize particularly well with a druid's abilities?

Extended Wraithstrike comes to mind immediately :)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Also, keep in mind that steel dragon has access to cleric spells.

Also, if you'd use Tome Dragon, you'd get 11th level casting (15HD). No clerical casting though. Instead, all divination/conjuration+knowledge domain as bonus spells known.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
addendum question: as above, but stack on a loredrake kobold with the two rituals... what is your resultant casting?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Technically, racial spellcasting should count as a natural ability, but yes, you should get it RAW. Now, it's in no way balanced or even remotely close to RAI, I'm sure, but that's beside the point.

As to Loredrake vs. racial spellcasting acquired via wild shape, I would rule that they overlap, much like in a gestalt. However, I'm pretty sure the rules are silent on this matter, again other than in cases such as gestalt.

As to spells, there are a few choice picks:

Celerity. Dear lord, celerity. If I could take exactly one 4th-level spell, that'd be it. The effect it has on combat is enormous. Against people without it, you win regardless of initiative, assuming you can negate flat-footedness (see below). Against people with it, it lets you compete rather than being overrun. Dimension door is also an excellent choice, since Druids are desperately lacking in instantaneous movement. The "end your turn" effect sucks, but depending on whether it applies to everyone or just the caster, share it with your animal companion as you celerity + dimension door within partial charge range of the enemy and let your pet dino rip him apart.

For lower-level spells, shivering touch + share spell + natural attacks = winsauce. Imagine a venomfire-ed fleshraker. Now imagine him doing 3d6 Dex damage in addition. Now do that again. Yeah, you win even harder than you did before.

Wraithstrike wrecks a lot of things that have high AC but low touch AC. Like Dragons. You know what else wrecks dragons? Shivering touch. See a pattern here?

For low-level utility, nerveskitter is extremely useful, both for initiative boosting and for negating flat-footedness. Remember, once you've acted, however briefly, you are no longer flat-footed.

For cleric spells, the clear winner is easy: divine power. Use bone talisman to qualify for Divine feats (because the spell is stupid), grab yourself a handy haversack full of nightsticks, and go to town with Persist/Extend/whatever.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Propaganda

• Monkey bussiness
  • Surprise!
    • Email
Some thanks and another spell to add:

Suzerain- cleric spells?  Wow, nice catch!

Thanks KellKheraptis and especially to Echoes for the extensive and thoughtful reply.

I wanted to add Solo's suggestion (from the Druid Handbook where I initially made my request before creating my own topic):

wings of cover

... which has the special synergy in dragon form of covering not only you but also your allies.