Author Topic: extra animal companion?  (Read 7498 times)

Unbeliever

• King Kong
extra animal companion?
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:04:38 AM »
Is there a way to get a second animal companion that isn't a ton of levels behind your level?  I know there are the Beastmaster, etc. type abilities, but the extra companions they give you are significantly weaker.  Combine w/ the natural bond feat to boost the weaker animal companions? 

My goal is to create a character who has a "pack" of wolves or hounds -- 2 would be enough to make me happy. 

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: extra animal companion?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:10:54 AM »
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer involves prestige classes I don't know off the top of my head.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
As the reigning super mount record-holder I've looked.

Basically beastmaster is your best shot. There are other options, but they probably are not what you want at all.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »
Totem Druid

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
The wild cohort feat gives you basically a slightly weaker animal companion

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

edit: ninja'd

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:25:59 PM »
Thanks, I had completely forgotten about Wild Cohort, although anything that is akin to leadership (mechanics-wise) is often dodgy in my gaming group.  That may be the most efficient way of doing it.

I'm not aiming for anything like a supermount build.  Right now, it actually looks like a fairly standard Druid w/ an animal companion focus -- buffing spells, companion spellbond, and some battlefield control and then let the ACs do the beating.  Probably w/ a dip into Beastmaster for better ACs (I know it' s suboptimal, but if I'm playing a druid hobbling it isn't an issue).  Was just hoping for a second AC. 

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
You could try the initiate of nature (PGtF) feat which lets you command animals which would let you keep a pack of animals around you under your control.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:09 PM »
You could try the initiate of nature (PGtF) feat which lets you command animals which would let you keep a pack of animals around you under your control.
That certainly works for flavor, although it doesn't have the same buffing capacities of the Animal Companion route.  Although there is of course Animal Growth and the like. 

Hmmm ... I do wish there was simply an easier way of getting an extra AC, that way I could use identical stats for the two of them.  I might just trade my Wild Shape for it, if the DM will go for that, although I'd prefer a less horse trady option. 

Thanks.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »

There's a 3rd level spell in PGTF for worshipers of Malar, let's you possess an animal, fwiw.

Chando

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Remember that you only get to Share Spells with your animal companion if you go beastmaster. But you do lose a caster level and a level of wildshape.
Beastmaster it is technically better then Wild Cohort in stats, you get one animal companion at your Level +3 and one at your Level. Maybe with nature bound you could make both be at your level +3, but thats probablly arguable.

Wild Cohort or the Initiate of Nature feats don't give you Share spells. Initiate of Nature beats the crap of Wild Cohort, but the later is simplier and therefore should be easier to get away with(without having to find the animals and fascinate/rebuke them).

That said, you can share spells with your main animal companion and cast spells like Animal Growth and the excelent Nature's Favor (Druid 2 swift action, SC) in your other animals, and they would be just as deadly.
And you could always summon some additional Dire wolves :P

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:11:12 PM »
Remember that you only get to Share Spells with your animal companion if you go beastmaster. But you do lose a caster level and a level of wildshape.

Share Spells works for normal animal companions. A Druid's companion gets it a 1st level, though you have to remain within 5 feet.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:50:10 PM »
Now you got me thinking about my old hexblade wolfpack build

hexblade 20

1-wild cohort, power attack
3-practiced spellcaster
6-obtain familiar
9-improved familiar: winter wolf
12-improved toughness
15-minor shapeshift
18-brutal strike

1 dire wolf via wild cohort, 1 winter wolf, and the hound of doom spell gets you another dire wolf-type

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »
Now you got me thinking about my old hexblade wolfpack build

hexblade 20

1-wild cohort, power attack
3-practiced spellcaster
6-obtain familiar
9-improved familiar: winter wolf
12-improved toughness
15-minor shapeshift
18-brutal strike

1 dire wolf via wild cohort, 1 winter wolf, and the hound of doom spell gets you another dire wolf-type
needs leadership filled with wolves. the level 1's can be puppies.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Chando

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 03:41:45 AM »

Share Spells works for normal animal companions. A Druid's companion gets it a 1st level, though you have to remain within 5 feet.
Well, that much is obvious :P
I was making a comparasion to the animals you get from Wild Cohort and the Initiate of Nature rebuke ability, none of wicht gain the share spells ability.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »
Druids can get into Knight of the Raven(PrC from Expeditions to Castle Ravenloft)?
How about DMM: Persist some of your summoned (Dire-)Wolves?

For 2 Animal Companions you could use:
Druid/ Bard(UA-Variant Nature's Bard) /Arcane Hierophant /Fochlucan Lyrist(needs Evasion, various ways to get it)
Loses out on Wildshape, but gets some arcane spells(fit in Sublime Chord, if you want).

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
Dragon Compendium has the Urban Druid which gets Charm monster as a 3rd level spell, 1 lower than normally. Of course the class is gimped due to an overall smaller spell list, but... Charm Monster is your easiest normal route for a herd of stuff, since it lasts days instead of just hours/level.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
Druids can get into Knight of the Raven(PrC from Expeditions to Castle Ravenloft)?
How about DMM: Persist some of your summoned (Dire-)Wolves?

For 2 Animal Companions you could use:
Druid/ Bard(UA-Variant Nature's Bard) /Arcane Hierophant /Fochlucan Lyrist(needs Evasion, various ways to get it)
Loses out on Wildshape, but gets some arcane spells(fit in Sublime Chord, if you want).
There's also a druidy class in Libris Mortis I think who gets Turn Undead.  It all loses you a caster level, but what're you gonna do?

I was trying to find the Bard variant, but I couldn't remember what it was called.  Thanks.  I've always like Arcane Hierophant, and wouldn't mind making a build featuring it.  It will all depend on how complicated I want it to be, though a bit of arcane casting plus share spells could be really helpful ...  And, I don't think this type of concept loses too much in losing out on some Wildshape. 

Chando

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 04:30:10 AM »

There's also a druidy class in Libris Mortis I think who gets Turn Undead.  It all loses you a caster level, but what're you gonna do?

If you are going to lose a level of druidic casting and wild shape to gain Turn Undead, might as well take a (closiastric) cleric dip and gain 1-3 devotion feats ou of it, or domain powers such as luck.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 04:52:41 AM »
(closiastric)

That must be the most butchered spelling of "cloistered" I have ever seen...
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »
What about wolflord from Complete Adventurer?