Author Topic: Various Anime/Manga  (Read 324508 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Various Anime/Manga
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:57 AM »
I don't post on Gleemax any more, but I check back to see if one of my subscribed threads (which, for me, is all the threads that I have posted in) has received a reply. The only one left with any activity discusses Bleach.

I'm not sure whether there are there many people who watch anime here, or if all the people who migrated wouldn't prod it with a 10-foot pole. If you are an otaku, please post your favourite shows. Maybe I can fully abandon that place.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
Re: Various Anime/Manga
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
I do watch anime, but have no particular preference. Just catch whatever is showing on anime central every wed-fri night. But I did like Rurouni Kenshin and CCS (just shun the english dub like the plague), they were probably key in drawing me into the whole anime scene.  :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:05:48 PM by Runestar »
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »
Does Hentai count as anime?
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »
Does Hentai count as anime?
It counts as manga :smirk
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
*speaking from the bandwagon*

Naruto for me. I catch the dubs on Toonami every saturday night and snag the fansubs every thursday Dattebayo releaes 'em.

Death Note was pretty awesome too, IMO.

I'd get into One Piece, but I'm rather intimidated by their several hundred episodes. Also, I've never bothered to figure out who subs it so I can get it straight from them.  :-\
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 03:58:38 PM »
Naruto for me. I catch the dubs on Toonami every saturday night and snag the fansubs every thursday Dattebayo releaes 'em.
I'm keeping up to date with Naruto and Bleach - the current filler arcs are surprisingly good, given their track records.

Death Note was pretty awesome too, IMO.
I normally prefer anime, but i feel the manga of Death Note has better pacing. I think the TVTropes Wiki statted Light Yagami as a lesser deity of evil plans (lesser because he doesn't need power).

I'd get into One Piece, but I'm rather intimidated by their several hundred episodes. Also, I've never bothered to figure out who subs it so I can get it straight from them.  :-\
Another one for manga, though I haven't read much of it.

Other stuff:
Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex (I really need to watch 2nd Gig beyond the first few episodes...)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - I've mentioned it before. With the quality of that and Evangelion, I have to check out some more of Gainax's work, but the only one I know is FLCL, and I hear it's similar to Bo-bobo Bo Bobobo, which I didn't enjoy for long.
Manhwa: id_Entity (originally Yureka in Korea) - Also mentioned it before... as it uses the D&D ruleset exactly, with a few homebrew classes added.
Oh, and Dragonball was a classic - its influence can still be seen today (just look at Naruto's large appetite and inexplicable orange-and-blue outfit).
My work

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »
Right now watching D Gray man and Code Geass R2, and reading Bleach and Naruto (I hate fillers and the way the story becomes twisted with them <_<)

Oh yeah, Evangelion is great! Sadly it's been a while since I watched that....

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
Well, I personally look the more famous stuff - for availability reasons, mostly.

All-time-favorites:
-Comboy Bebop
-Samurai Champloo
-Ghibli-Stuff (Porco Rosso, Mononoke, Chihiro, Totoro, Pom Poco...)
-Lain
-ElfenLied (awesome)
-Ghost in the Shell
-Mutant City
-Paprika
-Gunslinger Girls
-some Naruto-stuff (the german version totally sucks, did not see much of the english/japanese versions...)

there are possibly more I've forgotten.

EJ

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
I don't watch anime anymore, but I used to watch a show called, Outlaw Star was it? I can't remember, but it was an awesome show.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:10:29 PM »
-Cowboy Bebop
when I was a kid, it was on past my bed-time. :blush
-Samurai Champloo
I read the first volume of the manga, and I wasn't too interested. The anime might be better... I heard it was a major influence on Avatar.
-Ghibli-Stuff (Porco Rosso, Mononoke, Chihiro, Totoro, Pom Poco...)
I can't say I got to see much Miyazaki work. I have seen most of Princess Mononoke, which was definitely a major influence on Avatar (the season 1 finale in particular)
-Lain
I don't know much about Serial Experiments Lain, but I have heard it's... unusual.
-ElfenLied (awesome)
Stop switching personalities - I can't decide whether to hug you or run away screaming!
-Ghost in the Shell
I watched SAC and both movies, as I said, and I have a friend who is crazy about the movies (he likes philosophy).
-Mutant City
Never heard of it.
-Paprika
Movie about entering people's dreams, right? I read about it in a magazine.
-Gunslinger Girls
I don't know much beyond the name. I can infer that the girls' lives suck.
-some Naruto-stuff (the german version totally sucks, did not see much of the english/japanese versions...)
Naruto is cool! Believe it! :P

A summary of the TV situation in Ireland (in other words, the UK, since they're UK channels)
Cartoon Network used to have a number of anime in late slots, like DBZ, Gundam Wing and Tenchi. Then they created the anime-only channel "CNX", which was awesome. It changed its name to Toonami after a while, which was fine... then Toonami got a "facelift" and brought in Cartoon Network shows. Right now, the channel is called "CN Too", and shows the same things as Cartoon Network (no anime)

A while ago, an obscure channel called Propeller TV introduced an "Anime Network" slot from 8:00pm-10:00pm, including shows like Guyver, Evangelion, Elfen Lied, and... Azumanga Daioh. Their ratings tripled.

...Until a new channel was created called "Anime Central" and they got rid of the segment. Anime Central had the rights to broadcast ADV Films shows, including .hack//SIGN, Fullmetal Alchemist (I can't remember how many times I've watched that show) and Gundam SEED. Then ADV went bankrupt, leaving the channel to show reruns of Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop all day and nothing else. It's kind of sad.
My work

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »
Lessee, anime that I like...

SDF:Macross
Macross:DYRL?
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Gundam Wing
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Elfen Lied
Dragonball
Ghost In The Shell

That's all I can remember at the moment :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 07:05:49 PM »
For me, anime-wise, its:
.hack (all of them, especially the original)
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Beebop
Trigun
Witch Hunter Robin
Karas (just recently saw this, it is fucking awesome!)
X/1999
Burst Angel
Candidate for Goddess (too bad I can't afford the entire series)
Gundam (all except the original, G Gundam, and Gundam SEED [not Astray though])
IGPX
FLCL (by far the greatest show ever made)
and several others.

Manga, its:
Hellsing (been reading it long before it was popular, the manga is nothing like the anime)
Love Hina
Negima! (surprisingly, it isn't always softcore. The fights are really interesting)
Archlord
Tsubasa Chronicles
XXX-oholic
Orfina

There's a number I'm leaving out, but that's because I'm not able to access my collection from work.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »
Elfen Lied is hands down the best anime I've ever seen.  Paprika was trippy and very good.  Ghost in the Shell is great quality.  Dragonball (not Z) is great.  Death Note is fricken awesome.  I test as Light by one of my friend's tests (official merc).
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »

I read a lot of manga, not so much anime. FullMetal Alchemist, Ergo Proxy, Monster, Evangelion, any Miyazaki are anime's I like.

Manga - too much too list.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
Miyazaki - yes yes yes! Completely forgot about him.  :D

Also, since I don't think I was clear in my first post, 'tis just anime for me. I never particularly liked manga. Or comic books, for that matter.  :-\

Now for some funnies:

Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »
I like the strip

anime
stopped watching recently, but was a big fan of
DEATH NOTE
Ruroni Kenshin

Gundam Wing
Naruto
Claymore
Bleach
D. Gray-Man
One Piece has its moments

Manga
GANTZ
Naruto
Bleach
D. Gray-Man
One Piece
History's strongest disciple
Ares (manwha but same diff)
Akumetsu
Hajime no Ippo
Jojo's Bizzarre adventures (currently starting)

How about those arcannar/sasuke/long ass gantz arc/fillers?

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
Where do you get your Mangas? Especially the weird/rare ones? My favorite game store offers quite a big amount of mangas, most for 12-16 yo, though (so no ElfenLied or other dark/horror/adult stuff). Is there some kind of online shop (despite amazon...) that ships to europe/germany? What are reasonable prices for manga-books? As you can see, I'm quite new to Manga (only read some Bebop, Appleseed... that's about it).

EJ

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
If you can't get the manga in stores now, you can use Onemanga.com for alot of manga, until they come to stores and stuff.  You could also download torrents of it if you realy want.

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »
Thx for the link... I've found mangafox.com with google. Quite an impressive list there  :o  too bad I don't like reading at my laptop  :-\

Is this kind of online-publishing legal?

EJ

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »
Is this kind of online-publishing legal?
:sh
My work