Author Topic: Various Anime/Manga  (Read 324488 times)

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Various Anime/Manga
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 06:55:16 PM »
For things that are not translated yet in english I believe it falls into the grey area for legality.  I know Dark Horse puts out lists of mangas which are illegal to translate and put on the web, so that puts a damper on getting some like beserker (gantz is still okay I dont know why though) so I assume it is legal as long as the companies that translate them and sell them don't have a problem with it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »
One of the reasons I like manga over western comics is that there is only one writer, who is often the artist as well - you don't get characters looking and acting completely different in every episode.

(Not that I don't like western comics - they often have better pacing, not to mention colour)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
I'm a fan of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "Ouran High School Host Club".  I havn't seen all of "Samurai Champloo" yet, but I've enjoyed looking at it, probably a good sign, as I've been told both of the others are considered 'girly' :P
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 08:36:47 PM »
One reason to watch Gundam SEED (On a related note, Lacus' English singing is obviously a different voice actress, and isn't even as good as the Japanese).

I've got a lot of links at my forum - it would be easier if I just linked you to the thread
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 07:09:04 AM »
I find that I tend to prefer mangas to anime (which can be slooooow).

So, currently:
- Anime

In the past -> Trigun (great !), Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (absolutely hilarious), Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Beebop, Witch Hunter Robin and lots more that I am happy to have forgotten (in hindsight a large portion of anime production is crap - and yet it can still be strangely addictive  :wall)

- Mangas
One Piece (my favorite - there's always something unexpected)
Hunter X Hunter (nice but the publication is way too irregular)
Naruto, Bleach (these two sometimes annoy me but from time to time there's a scene/arc that makes it worth it - I've liked the last 2 months or so actually)
Gantz (over the top !)
Tenjou Tenge (a bit confusing ; but again the occasional slices of awesome save it)

In the past -> Monster, Rurouni Kenshin, Ah my goddess and lots more

That reminds me: everyone who reads/watches Naruto should check out Raruto, a damn funny (comic) parody by a Spanish guy (but there are scanlations in english).
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Dattebayo just started subbing Denno Coil, and I gotta say it's my kind of show.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »
I forgot Darker than Black, the best anime I've seen in a while (with Avatar - though the style is completely different).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:18:59 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »
Just saw the Hellsing OVA's, gotta say I really liked 'em :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Rev

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - I've mentioned it before. With the quality of that and Evangelion, I have to check out some more of Gainax's work, but the only one I know is FLCL, and I hear it's similar to Bo-bobo Bo Bobobo, which I didn't enjoy for long.

Try Gunbuster & Diebuster. Both are pretty decent. FLCL is supposed to be good also (according to some of my more anime loving mates) - but I've never seen it myself.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »
Only one small thing of note: please refrain from using the expression "otaku" to refer to fans of anime/manga/Japanese culture. It's a VERY offensive term, especially if you have ever been given examples of exactly what a REAL otaku is like. *shudders*

I for one am more of a reader than a watcher. I download a lot but don't always have time to watch stuff. My earliest anime ever was the Robotech version of Macross (when I was 5) and this really bizarre anime version of the Bible (back when Betamax was still a video format).

The Rurouni Kenshin anime is awesome (all but the arcs after Kyoto, when they switched producers and the crap really hit the fan... by the end they were fighting guys who almost literally cast spells using tablets. That shit ain't Kenshin), and the manga is even better. The Jinchuu arc is one of the most depressing yet most awesome things I have EVER got my hands on. (And I haven't watched it, but I utterly disconsider the OVA in which Kenshin dies...)

Hellsing: anime = good, manga = better, OVA = Awesome. Can't wait to see them actually catch up.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Black Lagoon yet.

Also guilty of following on Masami Kurumada's work. The guy is just... a nutcase. Anyone who has watched Saint Seiya knows what I'm talking about (I'm currently catching up on Lost Canvas and Episode G, which is drawn by Megumu Okada. Speaking of which: if you have the chance, watch Shadow Skill. It's a really great anime in spite of being kinda old by now).

Takehiko Inoue, by the way, sets the bar to determine levels of awesome. Anyone who had the chance to read Vagabond knows what I'm talking about (RELEASE THE NEXT VOLUME ALREADY! GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!). Slam Dunk is good for giggles, although it REALLY abuses flashbacks (it goes like this: the guy MUST score a point. As he's about to shoot, he starts remembering his life story and why-oh-why he HAS to score. This goes on for a couple of volumes until the story ends, then the ball dramatically flies towards the basket... spins around a bit... THEN, on the next volume, it falls out. When he misses, some other guy starts having a flashback about how a friend of his missed a ball just like that, and then his friend starts having a flashback about how he wound up playing basketball... it's trippy).

Speaking of trippy anime, watch Excel Saga. Love it. Pass the love on.

Monster, the manga, is beyond awesome. I haven't seen the anime yet (don't wanna spoil the end, as I'm following the manga as it is released). Slayers is fun as hell (but I prefer the anime to the manga). Hunter X Hunter is something I'm only getting hooked on now, but I hear it gets even better.

By the by: anyone who thinks Tenjou Tenge is over the top MUST read Hokuto No Ken. It's Bruce Lee meets Mad Max. And Bruce Lee WINS.

Been reading Bleach more than watching it. And since it's getting released around here I'm avoiding reading it online. (By the way, I HATE Naruto with every fiber of my being. Don't ask me to explain why. I just feel that a ninja dressed like a FRIGGIN' TRAFIC CONE should be beaten up, raped by a syphilitic clown, then dragged out on the street and shot.)

One Piece is hilarious AND great without either taking itself too seriously or forgetting its comic roots. The up and down in seriousness makes me feel great about it. (Speaking of which, I find it hilarious how both Eichiro Oda and Hiroyuki Takei were assistants to Nobuhiro Watsuki, creator of Kenshin, many years before going off to make their own comics... And Takeshi Obata, the guy behind Death Note's art, is just plain great).

Berserk: I seriously can't believe how good the manga is. Shame the anime's way too short. A similar thing occurs with BASTARD!!, except the problem with the latter is that there's too much work involved in its production (which reminds me, the author must be REALLY high when he comes up with some of the stuff he does. Anyone think Dragon Ball's power creep is bad? Read BASTARD!! and weep).

Soukyuu no Fafner is one of the very few so-called Evangelion clones I paid any attention to, and it's really good. Lots of heartache and character development, but no real ending, sadly.

Speaking of Eva, Gainax has been releasing Evangelion OVAs as of late. They're essentially re-telling the anime in two-hour episodes. It looks pretty cool so far. Also, of note: Gendou Ikari is far more awesome than Chuck Norris. For example: when Chuck Norris decided to sell his pee in a can, Red Bull was born. When Gendou Ikari did the same, the results were Hiroshima and Nagasaki (one drop each).

I don't know much about Serial Experiments Lain, but I have heard it's... unusual.
Lain's producer actually managed to steal Gainax's title of "creator of the most mind-fucking anime EVER". It's trippy to say the least, LSD-level.

Claymore, Gantz and Trigun all get their own honorable mentions. Also by Nightow (creator of Trigun), DO check out Gungrave (both the games and the anime, though the games are better). Eat your heart out, John Woo!

I loved Cowboy Bebop, but Samurai Champloo sucked awfully for me due to its hip-hopshiness.

Oh yeah. I hear there's an anime of it out, but look around for Blade of the Immortal. Hiroaki Samura is a freaking twisted fellow.

...And that's STILL not all the anime/manga I like. Wow. I thought I wasn't obsessed until I wrote this post...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 09:30:18 AM »
...And that's STILL not all the anime/manga I like. Wow. I thought I wasn't obsessed until I wrote this post...
Don't worry, we won't call you an otaku ;)
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:48 PM »
Don't worry, we won't call you an otaku

Technically, I don't fit the definition of an otaku because 1) I've had girlfriends (REAL ones - VERY important to note), 2) I actually know more people live than I do on the internet, and 3) leaving my home does not give me a heart attack.  :P

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 03:20:01 PM »
"Geek" used to be far more negative than it is now, but people started using the term with pride, and its meaning softened. The Japanese haven't quite got there yet.

There was that famous real-life story about an otaku saving a woman on a train or something, though.
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:20:29 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 11:53:39 PM »
Trying to get my hands on Kanon, but all Youtube vids of the 06 version seem to have been removed and my google-fu is terrible.

Tried www.crunchyroll.com yet?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 12:08:18 AM »
Just finished the Tower of Druaga: The Aegis of Uruk. Can't wait for the second season.  :clap

I'm also getting into Bleach. Currently on episode 54, and it's great except for one thing. I'm getting fucking tired of the feeling of the plot not getting anywhere. Only 10 more episodes to finish the story arc, though. Which means they have to get a lot of plot to me quick.  :D
[EDIT]: Scratch that. Ichigo just turned total badass at the execution platform. I'm looking forward to one helluva battle.

One last thing (which has already been brought up in another thread). GOODBYE SHIPPUDEN FILLER.  :fu
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:58:23 AM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 06:57:27 AM »
Trying to get my hands on Kanon, but all Youtube vids of the 06 version seem to have been removed and my google-fu is terrible.

Tried www.crunchyroll.com yet?
After a search of the site, it seems the vids there have been removed too.  :-\ I just had to pick the one anime series whose creators actually bothered to enforce copyright.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
After a search of the site, it seems the vids there have been removed too.  Undecided I just had to pick the one anime series whose creators actually bothered to enforce copyright.

Hey, there's always torrent sites for that too.  :smirk

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »
I'm also getting into Bleach. Currently on episode 54, and it's great except for one thing. I'm getting fucking tired of the feeling of the plot not getting anywhere. Only 10 more episodes to finish the story arc, though. Which means they have to get a lot of plot to me quick.  :D
[EDIT]: Scratch that. Ichigo just turned total badass at the execution platform. I'm looking forward to one helluva battle.

One last thing (which has already been brought up in another thread). GOODBYE SHIPPUDEN FILLER.  :fu
The infamous Bount arc of Bleach is episodes 64-109. Skip them - you may wonder where those three new Mod Souls came from, but they never actually do anything beyond their first appearance.

The current filler arc (The New Captain Amagai Shuusuke) seems to be almost over, and is much higher quality in every way (though it doesn't seem to know where it's going in the first few episodes).
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 05:50:59 PM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - I've mentioned it before. With the quality of that and Evangelion, I have to check out some more of Gainax's work, but the only one I know is FLCL, and I hear it's similar to Bo-bobo Bo Bobobo, which I didn't enjoy for long.
FLCL makes so much more sense than Bo-bobo Bo Bobobo if you find someone who understands the storyline (truthfully, its about a kid who has a crush on his babysitter, and everything else in the series is just the kid's imagination running wild.). Just treat the weirder parts as though it were an acid trip, and the parts that have some sanity behind them as the actual storyline. It took me 5 times watching the entire series to understand what it was actually about. Basically, whenever the two main characters do something crazy, its just in the kid's mind or its being told to him by Haruko.

Bo-bobo Bo Bobobo has absolutely no underlying story, and should be regarded as a really bad acid trip. I treat Paranoia Agent and Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi the same way.

Spoilers contained in the white portions!

[spoiler][/spoiler]