Author Topic: Various Anime/Manga  (Read 324480 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Various Anime/Manga
« Reply #1740 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
On an unrelated note:
Nothing like battling the common autumn cold with some good old Gundam SEED re-watching.

I refuse to watch that series. I'm a dedicated hater of Kira Yamato for Plot Hijacking.
That's Gundam SEED Destiny. Do you refuse to watch The Empire Strikes Back because Anakin is emo?

Unique case. There are 2 5 actors acting the same one character.
FTFY
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1741 on: September 04, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
On an unrelated note:
Nothing like battling the common autumn cold with some good old Gundam SEED re-watching.

I refuse to watch that series. I'm a dedicated hater of Kira Yamato for Plot Hijacking.
That's Gundam SEED Destiny. Do you refuse to watch The Empire Strikes Back because Anakin is emo?

Considering I only watched Episode 1...

Hell, I hated Kira for being so damn whiny in the first series. Gundam SEED is actually what turned me off of Gundam entirely (hence why I'm an Armored Core fan).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #1742 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »
Hell, I hated Kira for being so damn whiny in the first series. Gundam SEED is actually what turned me off of Gundam entirely (hence why I'm an Armored Core fan).
Rest assured, Gundam fans mock Kira too. But it's silly to let one installment turn you off others given how different they are from each other (it's like refusing to watch Star Trek because Anakin was emo).

It's one thing in the dub, but in the Japanese version when Kira cries it sounds like someone's torturing a kitten. I find his character development interesting though. That and as an IT student I can't help but admire someone who rewrites his giant robot's OS in 5 minutes. :P

And yes, I prefer the dub in this case. Cagalli is whinier in English, but I prefer that to her oddly macho voice in the original, and it makes her sound more like Kira, which is nice. Mu is far more suave, Rau le Creuset sounds more convincingly insane when he snaps, and Athrun's English voice just sounds awesome. The worst part is probably Lacus's singing not sounding anything like her normal VA, but they manage to fix this in the Destiny dub (which has improvements all around, really).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:49:43 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1743 on: September 04, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
Rest assured, Gundam fans mock Kira too. But it's silly to let one installment turn you off others given how different they are from each other (it's like refusing to watch Star Trek because Anakin was emo).

It's one thing in the dub, but in the Japanese version when Kira cries it sounds like someone's torturing a kitten. I find his character development interesting though. That and as an IT student I can't help but admire someone who rewrites his giant robot's OS in 5 minutes. :P

And yes, I prefer the dub in this case. Cagalli is whinier in English, but I prefer that to her oddly macho voice in the original, and it makes her sound more like Kira, which is nice. Mu is far more suave, Rau le Creuset sounds more convincingly insane when he snaps, and Athrun's English voice just sounds awesome. The worst part is probably Lacus's singing not sounding anything like her normal VA, but they manage to fix this in the Destiny dub (which has improvements all around, really).

:lol Wrong series there.

Yeah, I know it's irrational.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #1744 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:39 PM »
it's like refusing to watch Star Trek because Anakin was emo
My point exactly. Would you refuse to watch a show about a guy who has the power of playing cards in his fingers and fights surfing football-playing boxer cowboys in a tournament by using the power of love, just because you were disappointed by a series about the life of average soldiers on the frontlines?

The only thing all Gundam series have in common is the presence of giant robots called Gundams. Most of them also have space colonies, but they need not be important to the plot.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:12:08 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1745 on: September 04, 2010, 10:19:31 PM »
it's like refusing to watch Star Trek because Anakin was emo
My point exactly. Would you refuse to watch a show about a guy who has the power of playing cards in his fingers and fights surfing football-playing boxer cowboys in a tournament by using the power of love, just because you were disappointed by a series about the life of average soldiers on the frontlines?

The only thing all Gundam series have in common is the presence of giant robots called Gundams. Most of them also have space colonies, but they need not be important to the plot.

Except I've all ready seen those series (before SEED). Turn-a-Gundam and a couple of other installments are the only ones I haven't watched yet. I don't plan on watching them either, as SEED left a bad taste in my mouth and I started Armored Core.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #1746 on: September 04, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
Well, Turn A Gundam doesn't have much of a plot for the first three-quarters of the series. There's a war going on, sure, but they're incredibly civil about it all. Nice mecha designs though.

The guys at GitP have a number of (insert /m/-goer nickname here)s and have given humorous summaries of the tones of the various Gundam titles before. I could poke them for you.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:27:32 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1747 on: September 04, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm going to make things simpler.

Watch Gundam 0079. As in the very first Gundam series.

If Bright Noa's pimp hand doesn't make you love that series, nothing will.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1748 on: September 05, 2010, 05:34:22 PM »
(insert /m/-goer nickname here)
I don't frequent that forum, but how about /m/eisters? :P
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #1749 on: September 05, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
The one character I detest, loathe, despise and hate, who's mere presence defile, corrupt, destroy and taint anything and everything in that show, is Frey Allstar.

Words cannot describe how much I would like to strangle some sense into her.

@SinFire:
What is this Armored Core you speak of?
Color me interested.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1750 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
New Force chapter.
[spoiler]Touma basically blows a Mordenkainen's disjunction.
It puts most people on both ships out of comission, and leaves Vita and Nanoha unable to engage.
Holy shit.[/spoiler]
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #1751 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »
Touhou pics
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:59:11 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1752 on: September 05, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »
Funny Touhou pics? I'll bury you in funny Touhou pics.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
And that's not even plundering my doujins.

However, looking through my folder, I realize I have vastly more adorable and badass ones than funny ones... this must be remedied.
...Also, I really should organize these by character sometime.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1753 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
What is this Armored Core you speak of?
Color me interested.
Here's a Let's Play of 4Answer, the most recent Armored Core game.

If you recall, I had a Mecha in my Sig at one point. That was Nineball, a recurring villain throughout the series (and one of the most popular characters in it). He stands apart from Char Clones in that he is an AI created to protect Humanity. Naturally, he's fucked up.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1754 on: September 05, 2010, 08:37:16 PM »
Nineball
...No, too easy.

[spoiler]Ah, fuck it.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 08:39:53 PM by Agita »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1755 on: September 05, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
... If she didn't have More Dakka than the Answerer, I would say Hustler 1 could take her. But I know better than that.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1756 on: September 05, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
There's actually a bunch of pretty good Touhou mecha pics. Check out these nineballs.

[spoiler]

Team 9, combine!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #1757 on: September 06, 2010, 05:50:47 AM »
New Force chapter.
[spoiler]Touma basically blows a Mordenkainen's disjunction.
It puts most people on both ships out of comission, and leaves Vita and Nanoha unable to engage.
Holy shit.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]He divided by zero.
Given that only the Aces and Hayate are still standing means that thing is draining HARD.[/spoiler]
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #1758 on: September 06, 2010, 09:14:11 AM »
This reminds me of an M&M Nanoha game at GitP I peeped in on. :ninja
[spoiler]While fighting robots, one of the characters casts a wide-area EMP spell.

Unaware that Subaru had been sent to back up the PCs, and was jumping through a window as it hit.[/spoiler]
My work

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1759 on: September 06, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
Agita? I was right about the Dakka.

I don't think there is a mech in existence that can survive all of that. Hitbox is too big.

[spoiler][/spoiler]