Author Topic: FF III - Discussion and Chatter  (Read 1799 times)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
FF III - Discussion and Chatter
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:44:41 AM »
So, I'm playing FF III. For the first time.  :sofa

... Done throwing things? Cool.

Now, I opened this because Final Fantasy is one of the most legen- (hope you're not lactose intolerant because the next word is) -dary games in existence, and III is not one of the suck-filled ones. Or so I've heard.

So anyways, just to kick off, I thought of opening this for general discussion/advice/snobbery, and I'll start off with party combinations. What do you all like to make your party with?

My current party, DS Version, (lv 24, about to go march into Goldor's place and hopefully kick his ass right away), is composed of:
Luneth - Thief (once a scholar before I found out they don't matter for shit, and with a boomerang/main gauche and decent armor is one of my cannons right now)
Arc - Black mage. Does he ever get anything else (except white mage, for those who think he's girlier than Rufia)?
Rufia - I have a certain love for Red Mages, and then I found out their stats suck all too late. Their magic doesn't make up for it, probably gonna swap her to a white mage...
Ingus - Was a warrior from the moment I could get him to be one, though he's about even with Luneth's dmg right now as a Dark Knight, I remain hopeful.

Luneth I'd like to change into a dragoon or, eventually, a Ninja or Black Belt..... but to be honest, right now, he's doing the most damage on average in the party. I kinda don't wanna change him. I changed Ingus to a Dark knight, and maybe because of his job level, he's a little below my thief's dmg and tanking. Which makes me sad. Arc, though I like his Black magic, just.... I'm a bad arcane dnd-er because I don't like using my spells, paranoid that I'll need all 25+ 1st level should we face a boss, which I KNOW I wont do. I'll get over it. It may take me with it, but hey...

So yeah, if Dark Knight continues to fail to please, I'll probably finish game with a Ninja/Blackbelt, Sage, Devout, and Dragoon, though I want Dark Knight to rock hard soooo bad! And I've been told that Sage is alright for a support caster instead of Magus, but not so much instead of devout. At least it doesn't suck as bad as Red Mage does. That sentence makes me cry inside.

So, yeah, anything to say? I know I'm late to the party, but still...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: FF III - Discussion and Chatter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »
RESSURRECTION TIME!

Yeah, just so you know, in FFIII job level >> actual level. Improving Job Level is less easy than it sounds, as you need to actually use the Job's commands to consistently gain experience for them. Once you start raking in the XP for that, though, your characters start rocking awesomely.

The DS remake actually makes it easier, as it improves stats all around, not just based on how often you attack/get damaged.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:01:01 AM »
True that, though there's a trick. If you go back to an easy-as hell level (preferably one where enemies can't even hit you), you just spend four rounds guarding, then on the fifth eliminate the enemies, you'll all go up by one level. Figured that out fast; it's slow, but nice if you want your spellcasters to have plenty of spells and such.

If you're right outside of the maze, just past the four statues, I just park the airship outside for a healing point, then walk around in the entrance until I find a greater demon. Just keep defending, don't kill him until your devout is out of healing, and nuke his summoned critters, and you'll rack up at least one level and a metric shitload of gold in one battle. Not to mention a job level.  :p

My party is as follows now, and is lv 52 apiece. i might switch 'em up at lv 60, but probably will try to end the game with this set-up.
-Luneth - Ninja
-Arc - Magus
-Rufia - Devout
-Ingus - Black Belt

Classes starting up made me put my gameboy down; once I've done this though, I'm picking up and finishing my Red Version again. Yeah, as in gameboy pocket.

And danke on the ress.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Ah, grinding. Is there anything it can't solve?  :P

More seriously though, sounds like a good party build. You seem to hate armor though. Not one of your set-up wears it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:58:10 AM »

More seriously though, sounds like a good party build. You seem to hate armor though. Not one of your set-up wears it.
I like the idea, but my warrior wasn't awesome at damage without advance, which screwed his armor, and my best hitters have always been my dragoons and thiefs. I figure it's a sign I just need to glass cannon the hell out of this team. If anything, I'd probably swap out the magus; black magic is nice if you use it right, but against things with no specific vulnerabilities, it's just not that appealing....

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

I like the idea, but my warrior wasn't awesome at damage without advance, which screwed his armor, and my best hitters have always been my dragoons and thiefs. I figure it's a sign I just need to glass cannon the hell out of this team. If anything, I'd probably swap out the magus; black magic is nice if you use it right, but against things with no specific vulnerabilities, it's just not that appealing....

Given enough job levels, the warrior deals a shitload of damage because he gets more attacks than anyone else.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]