Author Topic: The biggest optomizing challenge I can think of.  (Read 6731 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: The biggest optomizing challenge I can think of.
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
Alright, I wasn't specific enough.

How good could a human NPC character get, assuming only NPC classes and a lack of Magical items.

FEATS AND CLASS ONLY, FELLOWS

Then my previous suggestion still stands.  Adept + Planar Touchstone feat + as many Extra Spell feats as needed to get 9th level spells.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 10:40:14 PM »
An aristocrat can make a decent knowledge devotion-based archer since they have martial weapons and all knowledge skills. The expert could too but they don't get martial weapons so he'd either have to be an elf, invest a feat in MWP composity longbows, or use crossbows.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 02:55:26 AM »

Adept with Wild Cohort, Leadership, Undead Leadership, and Dragon Cohort. Oh yeah, and Obtain Familiar, and if you take a race with PLAs then snag Psicrystal Affinity as well.

This would be overpowered even on a commoner, good work.
you forgot landlord.

Shameless self bump:
Sam the Commoner

It's amusing that this topic comes up so often.  "Uber NPC Class"  "Uber Commoner".  "Uber Fighter" ... so many variations on the same theme ;)

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 04:46:39 PM »
<snip> "Uber Fighter" </snip>
That practically IS an NPC class.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
<snip> "Uber Fighter" </snip>
That practically IS an NPC class.

I remember in 3.0 the NPC warrior got Intimidate as a class skill, and the fighter didn't =P

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 02:31:25 AM »
What about a party of tier 6s? Samurai, Divine Mind, Noble, Truenamer(Core+Tome for skill bonuses(No Item Familiar or Dark Speech, etc)).

I'm thinking fairly limited range of magic item effects, no using craploads of single/limited use items or PaO for +10 to a certain skill.

Is Mage wright tier 6? Soulborn might be also, unless they fall more into low 5.

Then we can run them through a premade adventure( Worlds Largest Dungeon for example) and call it "winning D&D"
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:04 AM »
Only problem is that truenamer is broken (and apparently in the literal sense that it doesn't work like it's supposed to).

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 03:06:39 AM »
Only problem is that truenamer is broken (and apparently in the literal sense that it doesn't work like it's supposed to).
It can be semi functional if you really optimize it, this usually means applying almost all skill booster tricks to the character.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 03:59:31 AM »
The truenamer works fine considering what I said. I was intentionally limiting its truespeak bonuses to only core+Tome of Magic, and not using PaO, precisely to keep it down to tier 6.

So mostly an out of combat healer, which it should have some use, even with out items until level 15ish, its healing ability steadily decreases with levels sadly, with a small spike when it gets a new healing ability. If your depending on the Truenamer to stop you from bleeding to death, you had better pray he rolls really good.

Some control aspects at later levels.

And anti-sundering tech, kind of cool.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:01:32 AM by lans »
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar