Author Topic: mind fog question  (Read 2113 times)

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
mind fog question
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:29:56 AM »
Quote from: SRD
Mind fog produces a bank of thin mist that weakens the mental resistance of those caught in it. Creatures in the mind fog take a -10 competence penalty on Wisdom checks and Will saves. (A creature that successfully saves against the fog is not affected and need not make further saves even if it remains in the fog.) Affected creatures take the penalty as long as they remain in the fog and for 2d6 rounds thereafter. The fog is stationary and lasts for 30 minutes (or until dispersed by wind).

Ok, aside from making 1 will save only (not 1 per round) or losing 10 to will being a stupid waste of a spell (just use a will save or lose/die spell instead)...

the -10 competence penalty on Wisdom checks intrigues me... What exactly is this supposed to do? does it affect wisdom based skills like survival?

Also, it says will negates... but no description of how often you need to make a will save (every round in the fog? once only? every time you enter the fog?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:41:39 AM by taltamir »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: mind fog question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
I believe it does impact wis based skills as well.
It's not that useful on it's own, but does serve a role in a party that makes heavy use of will saves, since it's a mass debuff that just sits there for a whole half hour. With Invisible Spell, or just a good chokepoint, you can set it up ahead of time, bait enemies into it, and then hit said enemies with low level mind affecting stuff like Charm Person, Hideous Laughter or Deep Slumber, which would otherwise have become obsolete due to rising Will saves.
At higher levels, it's more or less the Enchantment/Illusion version of a lesser True Strike.

Of course, it helps if you got a bunch of Mind Flayers who have Mind Blast they can saturate the area with.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 02:59:41 AM »
does it require a save every round you are in it? or just one save perior? or a save every time you enter?
In the TOEE CRPG interpretation its once only.. but the description in the SRD doesn't specify.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:27:20 AM »
(A creature that successfully saves against the fog is not affected and need not make further saves even if it remains in the fog.)
Think it does specify!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:59:26 AM »
ah whoops... I missed that.
Thank you.

So the -10 is for any skill based on wisdom... ex: listen, spot, survival, etc...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:08:52 AM »
Yep, nifty for a trap isn't it?
Especially since the fog itself is supposed to be thin enough that it doesn't actually hinder vision.

Plus, of course, roleplayed, the sudden drop in wisdom mod should have some amusing consequences.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »
Yep, nifty for a trap isn't it?
Especially since the fog itself is supposed to be thin enough that it doesn't actually hinder vision.

Plus, of course, roleplayed, the sudden drop in wisdom mod should have some amusing consequences.

it doesn't drop your wisdom though (-10 mod would require your wisdom to drop 20 points... to 0 likely, crippling you)
it only hampers your wisdom based SKILLS and your will saves. Your wisdom score itself remains comfortably intact.

this means you can:
1. cast wisdom based spells with no problem at all
2. do not fall comatose (or whatever it is that happens when wisdom goes to 0)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
Hence why I said roleplayed. Imagine the judgement impairment going on.
It's like inhaled booze.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:47 AM »
Hence why I said roleplayed. Imagine the judgement impairment going on.
It's like inhaled booze.

my point is that it should not have that kind of roleplaying effect, since it doesn't actually decrease your wisdom... you are still as wise as you ever were. you are just less perceptive, weaker willed, less able to provide for yourself in the wild, less able to track, and so on... its a really weird magical amalgam of "completely unaffected" and "completely messed up" for various things that key off of wisdom.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:14:11 AM »
The logic for that was more or less "Which one would be more hilarious?" so yeah.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]