Author Topic: Do holy weapons deal holy, untyped, or physical damage?  (Read 5677 times)

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
Re: Do holy weapons deal holy, untyped, or physical damage?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »
that's not how i've been answered the times that i've asked.... i've always received a courteous answer, more of an opinion, perhaps, followed by a 'well, it's really the dm's call' obligatory trailer, but... i've gotten a real answer the times i've asked.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
well, they didn't literally say "go buy 4e"...
if you want to see what transpired here is a record of it:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146865&highlight=aura+detect+magic

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146865&highlight=aura+detect+magic

It bugs me (but not enough to make an account) that no one pointed out the obvious.

Specific overrides general. The wondrous items are specific per item over the general detect magic rules, so they take priority. Whether it was a mistake on the editor's part or not is another matter, without a houserule, the 'wrong' values given in the wondrous item descriptions are correct per the raw.

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »

It bugs me (but not enough to make an account) that no one pointed out the obvious.

Specific overrides general. The wondrous items are specific per item over the general detect magic rules, so they take priority. Whether it was a mistake on the editor's part or not is another matter, without a houserule, the 'wrong' values given in the wondrous item descriptions are correct per the raw.

Maybe so, but it is clearly a mistake.

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »
I don't know (though I always assumed holy myself), but I do know that good aligned clerics deal damage as a good aligned weapon when chucked at undead.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »
I don't know (though I always assumed holy myself), but I do know that good aligned clerics deal damage as a good aligned weapon when chucked at undead.
Yes, and if they cast Bless on themselves first, you will automatically confirm a critical hit.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

taltamir

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
Yes, and if they cast Bless on themselves first, you will automatically confirm a critical hit.

wait, what? how does that work?

Banaticus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 12:35:09 AM »
...but I do know that good aligned clerics deal damage as a good aligned weapon when chucked at undead.
That's not actually true, PCs (and NPCs) don't have the [good] alignment subtype.  Now, the good god of a good aligned cleric would deal damage as a good aligned weapon if you were to throw the god at some undead, but I don't generally advocate trying to throw a god at anyone or anything.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 01:16:28 AM »
but I don't generally advocate trying to throw a god at anyone or anything.
You could the cleric of a holy rock you carry around, in which case that might be a viable strategy.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »
but I don't generally advocate trying to throw a god at anyone or anything.
You could the cleric of a holy rock you carry around, in which case that might be a viable strategy.
"My God shall SMITE thee."
*Slams said deity on opponent's noggin.*
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:33:11 AM »
...but I do know that good aligned clerics deal damage as a good aligned weapon when chucked at undead.
That's not actually true, PCs (and NPCs) don't have the [good] alignment subtype.  Now, the good god of a good aligned cleric would deal damage as a good aligned weapon if you were to throw the god at some undead, but I don't generally advocate trying to throw a god at anyone or anything.
hey, it struck me when the situation came up, I asked the dm, and he said he was amused enough by the situation to allow it.

And I personally endorse and encourage throwing deities at your enemies. Those gods have to be good for something, why not ammo?

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
i could totally see that for that prestige for the believers in dead, forgotten and lost powers.

i can see some goliath (quarter) ogre (quarter) giant hulking hurler with oversized fighting wielding the only pillar left standing of some long forgotten power as a holy weapon... doubles as an oversized club or a caber or a big ranged rock, depending on usage. shades of samurai shodown.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:38 PM »
That's not actually true, PCs (and NPCs) don't have the [good] alignment subtype.
no, but a cleric does have an alignment aura.