Author Topic: Druids and animal companions  (Read 2354 times)

nemafow

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • ¬_¬ - Modern DM.
    • World of Akair d20 Modern Home Website
Druids and animal companions
« on: June 20, 2008, 11:30:38 AM »
Something that has always bugged me is the animal companion of the druid allowed to increase in size as its hit dice increase?

For example if said druid has a wolf animal companion, when the wolf enters the hit dice advancement noted in the monster manual from the druid leveling, is said animal companion allowed to increase to large?

Simple question, but if possible can you point me to a specific ruling for this, if it exists. As I would like my players to be aware of the proper ruling.

Thanks in advance.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Druids and animal companions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Something that has always bugged me is the animal companion of the druid allowed to increase in size as its hit dice increase?

For example if said druid has a wolf animal companion, when the wolf enters the hit dice advancement noted in the monster manual from the druid leveling, is said animal companion allowed to increase to large?

Simple question, but if possible can you point me to a specific ruling for this, if it exists. As I would like my players to be aware of the proper ruling.

Thanks in advance.
I do not believe so.

I don't remember a specific ruling, but the Elemental Companion alternate class feature (Complete Mage) states that at certain levels, you may advance your companion to the next size category or increase its Hit Dice.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »
The 3.5 FAQ does clarify that your animal companion will not increase in size this way.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

nemafow

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • ¬_¬ - Modern DM.
    • World of Akair d20 Modern Home Website
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »
Excellent thank you very much guys.