Author Topic: Mind reading, Warshaping Trickster:  (Read 4401 times)

Ivory Knight

• Curious George

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Mind reading, Warshaping Trickster:
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
Nice build, I have tried to set something like this up in the past but never got around to it. Your rogue/hexblade base seems like it works fine. Be sure not to forget the abilities you get to mess with people heads.

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »
@Havoc4:
My Problem is figuring out a way to mess with the heads of people, who are immune to mind affecting abilities ;)

Rogue/ Hexblade was easier to do than(out of the top of my head, haven't done the math):
- Spellthief, instead of Rogue would lose a lot of Skillpoints(16 at Level 1), but fits with or without Hexblade 1
- Ranger/ Scout(no CHA-Synergy aside from Wild Empathy :()
- Factotum is MAD, needing INT instead of CHA.
- Warlock could be a nice Spin, but this is no Glaivelock(sadly not enough Room in here for Telflammar Shadowlord :smirk)
- Binder/ Knight of the Sacred Seal(uses CHA, but I would have to use one more book)
- Incarnum(not sure how Totemist would fit, Soulborn and Incarnate don't fit at all)
- Tome of Battle(yet another book some people won't touch with a Ten-Foot Pole. I tried to keep in simple this time :rollseyes)

@All:
Single Class 6, or Multi X/Y?
If multiclass, what combination would work better than Rogue 3/Hexblade 3?
More Prestigeclasses, like Chaotician(Planar Handbook), that help lower enemy saves?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Binder would actually be very nice, especially if you picked up Paimon for the dex synergy and dance of death.  And you could switch out some of you abilities as often as you want if a tactic does not seem to be working.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:17:05 PM »
If you're going with hexblade, take the 4th level with the ACF to get a shadow companion. It's basically a walking -2 debuff that'll help with all your mental tricks.

I had a gestalt character built along the same lines that I played in a PbP. On the other side it had ghost/MotUH.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
@ Surreal:
A Hexblade, or the whole "Changeling with 3 PrC"-build, I posted?
I already considered the ACF in my Ideas-Spoiler, the Chaotician was just to keep Full-BaB and stack the penalties even higher(sadly a few times/day only).

@ Havok:
If I ever play this guy, I probably will have to stick to just Core + Completes.
My first idea was binding Focalor, but his Aura of Sadness works with non-reach melee only(IIRC there is a Feat in ToM to widen it 1/day, but that's so not worth a feat).
Yes, Paimon would work nicely.
So would any of the Sneak-granting Vestiges, or even Leraje for an Archer-Build(I'd rather use Crossbow Sniper, to take anvantage of the full range: 60ft.)

@All:
How'd you rate my Build?
ATM I'm kinda worried, about getting most of his more impressive features too late and generally being too weak to actually play and have fun.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:41 PM »
Well you get the awesomeness of warshaper early, which is good to grow some claws to make a large number of natural attacks if you really need to bring on the hurt. For your mind reading abilities you could minimize that issue by staggering levels of mindspy and cabinet trickster for a few early levels to let their synergy kick in earlier.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
As much as I love the Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy build and have played it myself, you can't overlook that fact that it's a late game schtick and essentially a one trick pony for combat (and honestly isn't all that great). While mindspy adds a nice boost, the real value is the instant mindscan and multiple reads (if your DM allows this to mind stun multiple enemies at once, even better). Combined with telepathy and mindsight though, it makes for a fantastic social RP character.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills