Author Topic: When a DM doesn't play the monsters as powerful as they are  (Read 1943 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
When a DM doesn't play the monsters as powerful as they are
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »
I've run into a problem, which might not be a problem at all.

But well, my current DM, is really not running the monsters as powerful as they should be. Juvenile silver dragons with only 3 attacks (when they in fact have 6), efreets that don't use polymorph, or throw off their quickened scorching ray each round, or even just attack in close combat but do other silly things like trying to cast reduce person on the wizard, and winter wolves that don't use their breath attack.
First it really confuses me, the usual DMs I've played with have shown tremendous ability on monster intelligence, and had a thoroughly knowledge of the monster abilities, goblins who used complicated guerilla tactics, and genies that always planeshift away when they are in trouble, or simply have used their powers for the day.
Second, it seems to annoy the DM that these monsters apparently pose no challenge to us (although I have pointed out they pretty much empty our resources pretty well), and thus throws higher and higher challenge rating creatures at us. Bearing in mind we are a level 5 party (although we have 5 players instead of the usual 4), we still face off against CR 8+ monsters and do reasonably well, we empty our resources pretty badly, and go far down in health, but the dragon shaman and our wands keep us at good health (along with extraordinary good random loot from mad dice rolling on Mr. DMs part).

My fears are two-fold though, first, our party might get too high and mighty when we are killing silver dragons at level 5 :twitch. And although we have plenty of fun doing it, it just doesn't feel right.
The worse problem is that I predict this will go horribly wrong, our last session ended with us seeing an Iron Golem, yeah, that's a CR 13, and since you can't really screw up when controlling an Iron Golem I predict it's gonna smash us senseless. Thus resulting in a party-wipe.
All games I've had that included a party-wipe ended up being less good if we continued playing in the same world, and therefore I find it really sad, since I really like the unique world our DM has set up for us.

So, the question is, what do I do? I don't want to tell him how to play his monsters, since that would be kind of like killing fellow players (I propose the silver dragon actually uses his spells would have been one thing), I don't want to (but might need to) tell him to read up on his monsters, since he seems to think he has a rather good grasp of the rules. Should I just quit my whining and enjoy looting 5 levels over our level, as well as a level up in approximately 5 hours gaming time?
(actually my last attempt was dropping a few ingame hints after we'd vanquished the monsters, like: "Wow, I've heard those winter wolves got quite a deadly breath attack, good that just was a rumour")
So what should I do fellow gamers and optimizers?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: When a DM doesn't play the monsters as powerful as they are
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 02:34:46 AM »
I'd say try to get some of said monsters as a pet and then demonstrate it's use.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:10 AM »
I'd say try to get some of said monsters as a pet and then demonstrate it's use.

Heh, good plan, good plan!

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
Having fun? DM to? Go with the flow man and have a good time.

Just be prepared to run, run hard and run far, when the shit hits the fan. Like when the golem lumbers in.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »
I agree with hijacking/summoning the monsters and showing him what they can actually do.  Alternatively, if you've got the time and the Knowledge to make it reasonable, you could try establishing a monster training camp of some sort where the more intelligent monsters (or the owners of the dumb ones) can pay you to whip them into shape and teach them to best exploit their powers.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
I agree with hijacking/summoning the monsters and showing him what they can actually do.  Alternatively, if you've got the time and the Knowledge to make it reasonable, you could try establishing a monster training camp of some sort where the more intelligent monsters (or the owners of the dumb ones) can pay you to whip them into shape and teach them to best exploit their powers.

Monster Trainind R'us. Wonderful idea, and it is an evil campaign.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »
How about you offer to run a campaign and show them just how nasty these things can be if used properly? This gives them an ample opportunity to observe, first hand, why these things are the CR they are... and should probably be one or two higher...