Author Topic: A neat Cleric trick  (Read 1354 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
A neat Cleric trick
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »
THE BASIC TRICK

Take one Cleric, with the Magic domain.

Take the Customize Domain feat, from Dragon 325. For each of your spell slots, you may not select any spell, as long as it is one level lower than normal, for example Fireball in your 4th level spell slot.

Use one of any number of tricks to get Psychic Reformation without the XP penalty.

You may now cast any spell up to 8th level in existence, should the need arise. Get Psychic Reformation as a swift or free action, and Domain Spontaneity, and you can even cast any spell you need spontaneously. Combine with Anyspell shenanigans for some nice Cleric flexibility.

THE ADVANCED TRICK

Customize Domain lets you replace the spells in the Evil domain with any [Evil] spell, the spells in the Earth domain with any [Earth] spell, and so on. The description of the feat states that 'certain spells gain descriptors depending on how they're cast; you can choose such a spell as a spell with the descriptor you require so long as you only cast the spell in such a manner as to give it that descriptor.' If you can find a way to give all your spells a descriptor such as Evil, or Earth, you can select any spell you want in the slot, meaning you can now cast any spell in existence should the need arise.

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: A neat Cleric trick
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:34:58 AM »
Seems kinda cheesy to me... the part about pshycic reformation that is... Reminds me of a feat I red about in asword and sorcery splatbook. It was calles Spiritual Invocation (or some such). You could prepare your spells as "spirit spells" and swap them with any spell you knew from one level lower or lower.. was that cheesy or not?
Dead mortals feel no Dread

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:45 AM »
Look, Dragon printed something broken as hell.

Is anyone even surprised at this point but backwards in time by seven years?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
Psychic Reformation is slightly cheesy, yes, though not nearly on the order of most other powered options. The most broken thing about this usage of it is avoiding the XP costs

Contrast it to things like a Uncanny Forethought/Arcane Spellsurge combo for Wizards, which lets them cast pretty much all their higher level spells spontaneously, and with no increase in casting time.

Incidentally, my exploration of Psychic Reformation originally arose out of the above combo; it's common knowledge that Wizards possess a number of tricks to turn them into quasi-Sorcerers - I wanted something that allowed Sorcerers to be quasi-Wizards.

SorO_Lost, I think Domain Customization isn't the 'broken' part of this equation, as compared to the ability to actually go back and change the spells afterwards. While Dragon published plenty of broken material, I don't know that this particular feat qualifies for that definition.