Author Topic: Iron Chef Challenge #5  (Read 16848 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Iron Chef Challenge #5
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:05 PM »
I think i can judge, too.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
I think i can judge, too.

Bah, I wanted you on my team.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
I don't think I'll have time to participate (though it sounds like it would be fun).  That and I'm not sure I stack up to most of you regulars anyway ... :)

I did want to ask about one of the current rules listed, the one about open communication (in the spirit of the show)

1.  I'm not sure that's going to work so well here, since in the show, time is so limited it's kind of hard to react to what your opponent is doing, where as two weeks is plenty of time to react to what someone else is doing (of course, they can do it right back, so it could get kinda silly).
2.  The show doesn't really have quite the same issues that a PVP arena setup concept has (Though "I make my duck liver pate ice cream to counter your fried mozzarella-and -duck-liver appetizer!" does sound somewhat amusing ... :) )
3.  Should the PVP arena bit be more about reacting to an unknown opponent, or about building your character to specifically counter the others?  (granted, if there's enough teams, you should probably build your characters to be flexible enough anyway)
4.  There really isn't a way to STOP private communication regarding builds, so is there some way to catch it and penalize it?

I'm not against the rule, really, and it's not like I'll have time to play, so it doesn't affect me.  But it did sound a little odd, so I figured I'd bring it up.

The whole thing is meant to be light hearted. I can't enforce that people keep all communications in the open; I'll just have to trust people on that one. Also, if you have *everyone* all talking in the same thread, it'll be hard enough to follow your own teammates, nevermind the competition... which is basically what a busy kitchen stadium would be like anyways :D

The PvP/team vs team thing was just an idea. I'm not sure in reality if we could pull that off. For the moment, I think the team judging will simply be based on how the judges evaluate the teams based on their presented builds.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »
I have an idea for a theme Surreal.. I'll pm you because I don't think there are private tags here?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02:34 PM »
Yeah sure, I'll join, might bring something new and interesting with me.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:34 PM »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
I'd like to give it a shot

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
Updated the first post with names of chefs/judges. We technically have enough to form two teams already.

If anyone's wondering why I picked three... two felt too easy, and four seemed like too much work, so three was a natural compromise. Team sizes other than three may be possible, we'll just figure it out as things evolve.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 04:08:06 PM »
Nice, I am looking forward to watching this but with the impending onset of finals I feel I am unable to provide the time needed to participate.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
The whole thing is meant to be light hearted. I can't enforce that people keep all communications in the open; I'll just have to trust people on that one. Also, if you have *everyone* all talking in the same thread, it'll be hard enough to follow your own teammates, nevermind the competition... which is basically what a busy kitchen stadium would be like anyways :D

The PvP/team vs team thing was just an idea. I'm not sure in reality if we could pull that off. For the moment, I think the team judging will simply be based on how the judges evaluate the teams based on their presented builds.

That works ... :)  I was mostly curious, rather than trying to get you to drop the idea ... :)

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »
I want to try it as a chef.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 11:52:48 AM »
Updated the first post with names of chefs/judges. We technically have enough to form two teams already.

If anyone's wondering why I picked three... two felt too easy, and four seemed like too much work, so three was a natural compromise. Team sizes other than three may be possible, we'll just figure it out as things evolve.

Damn you, you forgot me!
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 03:15:01 PM »
Whoops sorry, fixed that now.
---

Hezor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 04:32:03 PM »
I'd love to join the competition.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »
Anyone else?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
There are 9 people who've said they would join, and 3 maybes. That's pretty good so far. People can probably start sorting themselves out into teams now.
---

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
Who would like to team up with me?

I specialize in highly thematic builds and popular culture conversion characters.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
I specialize in hybrids and obtain-a-record builds.

I specialize in highly thematic builds and popular culture conversion characters.

I've collaborated with you before for the feat record. Shall we be "Team Dark Sky X"?

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »
I specialize in hybrids and obtain-a-record builds.

I've collaborated with you before for the feat record. Shall we be "Team Dark Sky X"?

Terrific! Who shall we absorb last into our beast of brilliance?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
Bearsarebrown? "Dark Sky Bears" sounds better than anything else. Unless Nameless Void is in this. "Dark Sky Void" would be extremely kickass.