Author Topic: Rage-a-hol  (Read 5074 times)

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
Rage-a-hol
« on: June 20, 2008, 01:30:58 AM »
Who coined that phrase there?  I know it was one of you.  I've come up with a good card (for the HC deck to put it on).  One of these days I might even get a good pic of the person who created the saying acting enraged to put on the card itself.  (Yes, the card deck doubles as my scrap book of gamers).

So - who at BG came up with 'rageahol'?
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Re: Rage-a-hol
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:13:05 AM »
Rage-a-hol was (to my knowledge) made up by the writers of the Simpsons. Homer exclaimed in an episode where Bart made him look like the Incredible Hulk because of his rage problem (in which his pent-up rage actually threatened to kill him until he released it), "I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rage-a-hol!"

The episode is number 287, "I Am Furious Yellow."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:15:28 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:21:52 AM »
My name is PhoenixInferno and I'm a rage-a-holic.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 02:32:44 AM »
Hi, PhoenixInferno. ;)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 03:54:41 AM »
Rage-a-hol was (to my knowledge) made up by the writers of the Simpsons. Homer exclaimed in an episode where Bart made him look like the Incredible Hulk because of his rage problem (in which his pent-up rage actually threatened to kill him until he released it), "I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rage-a-hol!"

This is correct.  We stole the term from the Simpsons. 

As an interesting side note the term "sand in his vagina" we did not get from South Park.  We have a friend who used the term all the time years prior to South Park.  I bring it up because he is where we got the term "swollen" from.  As in "I am swollen with rage-a-hol." 

Our personal lexicon is actually quite large.  We have to screen episodes to be sure that we are not using terms that people won't understand.  For example we have faux french canadian terms for numbers, Denglish (Germanized english words), spanish pronounced phonetically, rhyming slang and finally words we just made up.   
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »
Yeah, and THEN there is our list of gaming-isms that we take for granted everyone knows.  Like performing a cul-de-sac on someone.

But while this IS related to the show, I'd like to keep this board about the episodes... hmmm... ok, problem solved!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
Yeah, and THEN there is our list of gaming-isms that we take for granted everyone knows. Like performing a cul-de-sac on someone.

But while this IS related to the show, I'd like to keep this board about the episodes... hmmm... ok, problem solved!

Please tell me this involves dropping a building on something...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »
the term cul-de-sac is actually one of our terms. 

In Maine mispronouncing French-Canadian is very common so we have a friend who started doing it for mocking purposes and the rest of us picked it up.

coupe de gras becomes cul de sac

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
We really like to use the term "pop a nutty" for barbarian rage. So much so, that we almost never use the official language for the ability.

I once wrote "nutties per day" on a character sheet.

I think at some point we will have to put up a glossary.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 03:25:54 PM »
the term cul-de-sac is actually one of our terms. 

In Maine mispronouncing French-Canadian is very common so we have a friend who started doing it for mocking purposes and the rest of us picked it up.

I was making a joke about cul-de-saccing someone meaning you drop a building on them. It was that or it involved castration...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »
Hi, my name's Irthos and I'm a rage-a-holic.  I'm allergic to steroids, and I enjoy meeting in groups with like minded people.  NOW WHERE'S THE F**KING COFFEE AND DOUGHNUTS!? 
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »
Our swordsage had such a stock attack routine that we developed our own name for it: the Burning Wolf Nova. Rabid Wolf Strike + Burning Blade. He'd open any fight with a single opponent with that. He's never got the chance to actually use it on a wolf, though.

I think he'd had a bit too much rageahol.
I know gameology-fu.

Derro

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

I'm from Canada so the mispronunciation doesn't happen as much but I've still heard: coop-day-graze, cup-of-grass, and my personal favorite... the soup-du-jour.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:32:54 PM »

This is correct.  We stole the term from the Simpsons. 
Don't all gaming podcasts? Nothing substitutes for funny like quoting the Simpsons. Or Joss Whedon. Or Boobs.