Author Topic: Linked Power: Why is it so spiffy?  (Read 26263 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Linked Power: Why is it so spiffy?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Shut up and eat your mortalbane.  Put some meat on those bones.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 01:42:20 AM »
The way I understand the rules is that you have to spend the pp and xp to use a psionic power to a certain degree of power but once you activate it it is treated as a psilike ability. So you still have to pay the costs but the abilities are technically psilike abilities.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 03:06:13 AM »
May I get the full text of Linked Power since I don't have it handy?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 03:44:39 AM »

[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 05:16:49 AM »
Danke!  I had a hard time reading the text on those pages and thus transcribed its effects into a spoiler section.

LINKED POWER [METAPSIONIC][spoiler]
Source: Complete Psionic 62
Benefit: To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus.

Manifesting a Linked power means that you choose 2 powers and pay the cost of each this round.  One power you manifest this round and the other is automatically manifested next round with no action required and no additional power point cost.

The power that manifests next round (the Linked power) automatically targets the same area or target(s) as the power you manifest this round.  If this round's power has no target or area, choose an area or target(s) for the Linked power next round as permitted by the Linked power's description.

A Linked power grants its normal saving throws and power resistance as appropriate for each power.

Sometimes, Linked powers are redundant.  Hitting the same target with a psionic dominate on two consecutive rounds requires the target to save twice.  Otherwise, this double psionic dominate acts as a single power.

By the time the second power manifests, there may be no legal targets or area.  If this is so, the power manifests but to no effect.  Even if this power has no effect, you can still act as normal on this turn.

Using Linked Power requires you pay the power point cost of both powers on this first round.  For example, if you manifest hustle (5PP as an Egoist) and synchronicity (1PP), you must pay 6PP this first round.[/spoiler]

Concerns
I was hoping to use this to fast summon an astral construct horde.  Would this work?

How would this strategy work with synchronicity?  Seemingly, I manifest something cheap on myself like force screen then link it to synchronicity, thereby getting myself an extra standard action next round.

Via Linked Power, how could I combine astral construct and synchronicity to give my construct an extra action next round?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:45:09 AM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:06 AM »
How would this strategy work with synchronicity?  Seemingly, I manifest something cheap on myself like force screen then link it to synchronicity, thereby getting myself an extra standard action next round.

Can I do a Linked Quickened synchronicity?
As far as I read sure. Normal rules about not going over your PP limit still apply and you'll need to find a way to expend two psionic focus, or not spending one. Easily done.
don't even touch synchronicity unless you want to see speeding DMG's break the speed of light.

I don't know how psionics works. Just be wary of flying DMG's :D
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:44 AM »
I assume you're ignoring the nerf that you can now only have one Astral Contract at a time?
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
I assume you're ignoring the nerf that you can now only have one Astral Contract at a time?
Who doesn't ignore that nerf?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »
Nerf? What nerf?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 11:45:29 AM »
Nerf? What nerf?

Well, they would've had to think up a different prestige class if they didn't nerf Astral Construct.  We wouldn't want them to work TOO hard now, would we? .... :)

(I can totally see a conversation: "Come on, man!  If you don't nerf it, my w1kk3d c00l prestige class won't make any sense!"  "Duuuuuuh, ok George.")

On the off chance Lycanthromancer was being serious, and for anyone else that isn't aware, Complete Psionic includes a modification to AC that only lets you have one out at a time - and there's a prestige class in there that lets you have two.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
(I can totally see a conversation: "Come on, man!  If you don't nerf it, my w1kk3d c00l prestige class won't make any sense!"  "Duuuuuuh, ok George.")

Since when has that stopped them? Abjurant Champion for a minor example.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »

Very true.  Of course, the impression I got there was: AC Designer: "Mage Armor gives AC, it protects, OBVIOUSLY it's an abjuration spell!"

Tempting houserule though.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 12:27:04 PM »
Nerf? What nerf?

Well, they would've had to think up a different prestige class if they didn't nerf Astral Construct.  We wouldn't want them to work TOO hard now, would we? .... :)

On the off chance Lycanthromancer was being serious, and for anyone else that isn't aware, Complete Psionic includes a modification to AC that only lets you have one out at a time - and there's a prestige class in there that lets you have two.
*Sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALA WHAT NERF I DON'T KNOW OF ANY NERF

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:58 PM »

Very true.  Of course, the impression I got there was: AC Designer: "Mage Armor gives AC, it protects, OBVIOUSLY it's an abjuration spell!"

I see this as a bad example, not even close to the Astral Construct crap.  The ability still works perfectly well, just not with one of the example spells.

Had I designed the "Constructor", I would have had it create an additional AC with each manifestation.  Maybe with a lower level, but an additional one anyway.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Beltendu

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
*Sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALA WHAT NERF I DON'T KNOW OF ANY NERF

*breaks out the Nerf autocannon and fires it in Lycan's general direction* :evillaugh

Quote from: snakeman830
I see this as a bad example, not even close to the Astral Construct crap.  The ability still works perfectly well, just not with one of the example spells.

Had I designed the "Constructor", I would have had it create an additional AC with each manifestation.  Maybe with a lower level, but an additional one anyway.

I haven't looked at it in a while, but I would probably agree.  Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be all that different from the Malconvoker  (though I suppose it could be argued that Malconvoker is over the top ... :) )
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:25:19 PM by Beltendu »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »

Concerns
I was hoping to use this to fast summon an astral construct horde.  Would this work?

Via Linked Power, how could I combine astral construct and synchronicity to give my construct an extra action next round?

The problem with Linked power is that the combined power points of the powers you manifest must be an allowable amount for your ML, right? Because metapsionics don't lift the maximum individual expenditure limit of your ML.  So manifesting two ACs with max augmentation and linked power will be too expensive.
Enter Synchronicity. And ideally: Metapower.
Manifest Synchronicity with linked synchronicity. Manifest Hustle, regain focus. Manifest one Astral Construct in the remaining full-round action. Next round, manifest hustle, and two more ACs. The loop ends there unless you are an ardent with dominant ideal who can keep focus forever, at which point the game becomes a theoretical excercise, anyway.
With a belt of battle you could pull of one more during the second round, by taking one more swift action the first round and another in the second to manifest hustles.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »

I believe that was due to Mage Armor being an abjuration in 3.0, as well as shield, iirc.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
I'm playing Pathfinder which overrides the astral construct nerf.  (As DM, I'd ignore that nerf.)

I realized how to uberize my actions for an arena game:

EDIT: I just realized I need Psionic Meditation and a high Concentration check to reliably Link powers.  Doh!

Round 1
-As a duergar, start by using invisibility.  My opponent probably can't touch me.
-Jump an inch off the ground (if necessary) and Link catfall-synchronicity.

Round 2
-If I need to Link levitate/vigor/force screen-synchronicity, I will.
-Link catfall-synchronicity.
-If my opponent is a golem or someone who needs an astral construct instead of a barrage of energy missiles, start manifesting that.

Round 3
-Immediately before my turn, Link catfall-synchronicity.  This works even if I used astral construct.
-FIRE!  With my stored synchronicitys, that's 4 energy missile barrages.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:15:35 PM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:

Phoenix00

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 12:33:22 AM »
I realized how to uberize my actions for an arena game:

EDIT: I just realized I need Psionic Meditation and a high Concentration check to reliably Link powers.  Doh!
Here are the must have psionic powers (reposting stuff I wrote on 339)

Level 1

Synchronicity (Complete Psionic p103): Ready an action and use it when you choose.

At first glance this doesn't seem like a good power, you lose a standard action to cast this power but gain a standard action in response (no net gain or loss with the exception of you losing 1 pp).  That is wrong, THIS IS AN AWESOME POWER, for when combine with other powers/feats you gain additional standard actions.  For example if you use Linked Power with it you can cast your Main Power X and next round you get a free standard action to cast another Power Y and all you needed was the linked power feat and 1pp above what Main Power X cost.  Or you can use a metamagic rod of quicken to cast this power as a swift action (and since Synchronicity is a 1st level power the rod is damn cheap.)

Level 3

Sense Danger (Magic of Eberron p106): Retain Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed, and manifest another power as an immediate  action during first round of combat.

This is psionic foresight and contingency (with steroids) all rolled up in one, You cast this power which has duration of 10 mins/level.  During that duration you are not treated as not having your dex modifer at the beginning of combat.  Furthermore you can cast a power with power point cost of 1pp or more if you augment it.  Guess what awesome power is 1pp, Synchronicity.  Guess what Synchronicity does for 1pp you get to cast any other power you know that has a manifesting time of 1 standard action.  In other words you always get to act first (when under the duration of Sense Danger).  Oh it gets even more nasty, as soon as you use your readied action which Synchronicity provides you are no longer flat footed for you have acted in combat.  Thus you can now use Anticipatory Strike (blowing another immediate action, thus you don't get one the next round of combat), and have a full round of actions before your enemy gets to act.  Finally under transparency an incantatrix could use Metamagic Effect to make this power last all day under persistent spell (since the power doesn't discharge)

Level 4

Schism: Your partitioned mind can manifest lower level powers.

More actions are good.  When your second mind can manifest a power have it choose Synchronicity, thus your main mind now manifests the power and thus you can use your full manifester level with schism.

Level 5

Anticipatory Strike (Complete Psionic p78): Take your action out of initiative order.

Some people call this psionic celerity.  As an immediate action you can move your initiative out of order (but only once a round).  Only downside is that you can't be flat footed, well foresight or the more awesome psionic power sense danger fixes that.  So for 9 power points and an immediate action you get to act immediately (with no downsides like being dazed).  Remember you can combine this with Sense Danger+ Synchronicity during the first round of combat.

Level 6

Temporal Acceleration A: Your time frame accelerates for 1 round.

Psionic Timestop, enough said
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/23144993/Psion_in_an_Cold_Hard_Null_World?post_id=410128229#410128229

Oh and psicrystals get feats, so at level 12 (or 10 with pathfinder) your psicrystal can use White Raven's Tacitcs (though you need to do a previous martial study for pre-requisites).

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 01:37:57 AM »
Thank you!  I saved a copy of that!

1: Does this mean my psicrystal can use Mindsight?

2: How close must I be to my psicrystal for it to see through all darkness and relay this info to me?

3: May I get a full power description of sense danger?

4: What feats advise you for my psicrystal?  It normally goes on my initiative.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:44:03 AM by Endarire »

Speaking of which: