Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198805 times)

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #1340 on: September 26, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »
Venn, my cohort's going to be a Ranger//Artificer. I think we're fine when it comes to ranged attacks. (Yes, it's two damage dice down 'cause of size, but it's also a +2 to attacking! And 60 ft. fly w/perfect maneuverability!) As for Blanche, her concept came before I ever set foot. And I didn't have the heart to stop playing that concept (I did edit it from being unarmed --> rapier to unarmed --> bastard sword/katana/weaboo thwacking weapon).

Plus, 28 Dex means I can shoot things well enough. And sneak attack substitutes for some damage (at <=30 ft).

EDIT: Christ, talk about indecision regarding my cohort. Should I keep my Ranger (variant'd a lot) or should I take up Targeteer (+sub. levels of Z. Soldier)?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:45:16 PM by Rufei »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1341 on: September 26, 2008, 09:37:17 PM »
Venn, my cohort's going to be a Ranger//Artificer. I think we're fine when it comes to ranged attacks. (Yes, it's two damage dice down 'cause of size, but it's also a +2 to attacking! And 60 ft. fly w/perfect maneuverability!) As for Blanche, her concept came before I ever set foot. And I didn't have the heart to stop playing that concept (I did edit it from being unarmed --> rapier to unarmed --> bastard sword/katana/weaboo thwacking weapon).

Plus, 28 Dex means I can shoot things well enough. And sneak attack substitutes for some damage (at <=30 ft).

EDIT: Christ, talk about indecision regarding my cohort. Should I keep my Ranger (variant'd a lot) or should I take up Targeteer (+sub. levels of Z. Soldier)?

Ok, good to know that we'll have some backup firepower. But that's not until you can gain a cohort. Are we starting out on a ship?

Also, I'd like to get people's final opinions on my final build. Would you guys suggest I go with Swordsage or Totemist as the second part of the Gestalt? Both provide options for versatility. There is the notion that Totemist would add certain SLAs for different situations, and I have my pick of all the soulmelds known to me, though only a certain number per day and I've got to shape them at the beginning of the day or I'm S-O-L. I can get the extra natural attacks of the totemist through Warshaper, though not the special abilities. Some of them are available via maneuvers, though only once per combat unless I re-ready them. But, I can re-ready between encounters, so that's somewhat more versatile than totemist, and in the long run I'll probably save on feats which I can use for various backups. I could also switch out the abyssal heritor feats and just have the supernatural ability to fly right off the bat, though if there's any anti-magic, I'm screwed.
Also, I wonder if there would be any benefit to playing a small race like whisper gnome, kobold, or air mephling. Hmm..

Sorry to keep flip-flopping, but it's a tough choice. As I said before, I've got too many ideas!
---
Ok, I'm not changing quite so drastically. Just switched back to Swordsage and tweaked the stats and skills some. Still not sure on that Abyssal Heritor feat, since I don't know what Sinfire plans on doing for the secondary one. He said it makes it awesome, but I've no idea how awesome. Having natural wings that don't go away with antimagic is nice,  but I don't know how much of that we'll be running into. If none to little, it may just make more sense to go with the Eagle's Wings feat and have the flight all in one package rather than two.
I also don't know how imperative flight is off the bat. I could probably put it off until my level 3 feat and go with something else now, though I'll have to decide what (generally can't go wrong with power attack in this situation).
---
Rufei: What are Targeteer and "Z. Soldier" from?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:34:17 AM by VennDygrem »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1342 on: September 26, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Cohort got updated in the thread my character is in, have no idea what to do with my psychic feats and a ranger one.  And I took Far Shot at 18th, that seems foolish.  Also, I have to be human for Shiba Protector, and I'm contemplating Dragonborn just for the flight.  But then again, I really could use that bonus feat. 

Also, SiFir, if I take Expanded Aura of Courage from Heroes of Battle will it apply to all of my paladin auras?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1343 on: September 27, 2008, 07:28:41 AM »
Just one question, Sinfire:

How do SoA people react to Undead? If I go Necropolitan, would they go librarian crap on me? If so, would the Disguise skill help (i.e., disguise as a living creature) or would it be mandatory?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1344 on: September 27, 2008, 08:16:09 AM »
Targeteer is a Fighter variant from Dragon 310 (check it out here) that essentially allows you to use Dex instead of Str for attacks with a bow (the limitation on Vital Aim seems to be gimpy - can't I use it without a positive Str score?). There's other stuff, but it's not really worth mentioning. Zhentarim Soldier is another Fighter variant that takes your 3rd, 5th, and 9th levels of Fighter (read: Nothing happens) and gives you stuff... namely Skill Focus (Intimidate), a lasting effect on Intimidate, and the ability to Intimidate as a Swift Action. Good stuff.

Half-Fey (as a Level-Adjusted Racial Template) is a kind of "meh" way of getting flight (though, x2 your base land speed and good maneuverability, not to mention Ex). It does give you a good amount of (scaling) spell-like abilities (Cha-based) and eventually an immunity to Enchantments (which may suck if you rely on those buffs).

And I can cover some amount of ranged combat. I'm more effective in close combat, but at 30 ft., my ranged attacks are passable (+13 to hit, +9 if shooting into a melee, but sneak attack applies). Not to mention I don't have to drop my gun if I want to attack (a kick is just as good). Of course, later on this'll phase out (and be replaced at high levels with spells), but for now it's passable. Surely not as powerful as a SWVRanger, but good enough. (Still, lack of Rapid Shot is a little "meh".)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:19:22 AM by Rufei »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1345 on: September 27, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
Targeteer is a Fighter variant from Dragon 310 (check it out here) that essentially allows you to use Dex instead of Str for attacks with a bow (the limitation on Vital Aim seems to be gimpy - can't I use it without a positive Str score?). There's other stuff, but it's not really worth mentioning. Zhentarim Soldier is another Fighter variant that takes your 3rd, 5th, and 9th levels of Fighter (read: Nothing happens) and gives you stuff... namely Skill Focus (Intimidate), a lasting effect on Intimidate, and the ability to Intimidate as a Swift Action. Good stuff.

Half-Fey (as a Level-Adjusted Racial Template) is a kind of "meh" way of getting flight (though, x2 your base land speed and good maneuverability, not to mention Ex). It does give you a good amount of (scaling) spell-like abilities (Cha-based) and eventually an immunity to Enchantments (which may suck if you rely on those buffs).

And I can cover some amount of ranged combat. I'm more effective in close combat, but at 30 ft., my ranged attacks are passable (+13 to hit, +9 if shooting into a melee, but sneak attack applies). Not to mention I don't have to drop my gun if I want to attack (a kick is just as good). Of course, later on this'll phase out (and be replaced at high levels with spells), but for now it's passable. Surely not as powerful as a SWVRanger, but good enough. (Still, lack of Rapid Shot is a little "meh".)
Not sure if you meant the half-fey for me, but:
Wings at 2x base speed is pretty good, though. Not really something I think I can take, personally, though I've considered it for other characters before. Cha is currently my dump stat, though, so those SLAs wouldn't take me very far, but it's always nice to have free spells. I could actually make it work, but I'd either have to take it as a template and start my character at level 1, or as a template class, and either way I'd be giving up the feral abilities. As I'd be giving up my natural claws, it might then make more sense to focus on a different discipline, and possibly just forget about shapeshift ranger altogether.

Of course, you know I'm going to build a hypothetical build just to test it out. Well-played, Rufei. Well played.
 :lol

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #1346 on: September 27, 2008, 06:32:09 PM »
Mission accomplished. :)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1347 on: September 27, 2008, 09:12:55 PM »
:facepalm

You just gave him another choice. Now the game is going to be delayed another 2 months. I hate you, Rufei...

:P

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1348 on: September 27, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »
I have a question: who all is in the LoI setting?  Me, AJ, Jaron......who?  I want to say Nanshork and someone else (I know it was 5...)
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1349 on: September 27, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »
I think more pertinently, what are we all playing?

I am a DW Phrenic Desert Kobold (Dread Necro//Sorcerer) going into Rainbow Servant and Necropolitan.

What about you guys?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1350 on: September 27, 2008, 10:55:01 PM »
LoI: Me, Dman, AJ, Jaron, dark_samuari (who disappared awhile ago)

I'm a Dragonborn (Draconic Lesser Assimar) Sublime Way Marshall//Rebalanced Paladin all the way.

My cohort will be a Soulknife(fix found in first post)//Sublime Way Ranger/Soulbow/Shiba Protector/Kensai.  Still figuring out his feats and maneuvers but I've got a little while. 
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1351 on: September 27, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
You stay away from me with your Lay on Hands...! :P

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1352 on: September 28, 2008, 02:02:15 AM »
I think I can heal you eventually AJ, but I'm not sure.  I don't think we have an energy type that the healing of a waterbender is, it's just healing, much like Crusader abilities (Crusader's Strike and the like).

I'm a waterbender//incarnate all the way.  I currently have the Tentacle and Water Whip seeds, looking at next level Ice Shards, or if we need it Healing Waters (if not that comes at level 6).  So I can trip, trip, trip some more, then I can occupy spaces and negate attacks directed at anyone in my reach.  Well, make them really unlikely to hit (-6 penalty on attack rolls...).  And ironically Crusader fails with this build.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1353 on: September 28, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »
If I survive, I've got my own version of Lay on Hands to heal back up. Unlimited use, but slow, so non-combat effective.

That said, if I get 1500xp without dying, then my hp will increase by a factor of 4, which will increase my survivability somwhat.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1354 on: September 28, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »
You stay away from me with your Lay on Hands...! :P

I've got healing maneuver's, don't worry.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1355 on: September 28, 2008, 02:31:40 AM »
:facepalm

You just gave him another choice. Now the game is going to be delayed another 2 months. I hate you, Rufei...

:P
Haha, even if I did make several more builds, it wouldn't affect you guys because you're in LoI and I'm in M-O. If anything, Rufei would have been sealing his own death wish. :D

Half-Fey is too big a LA to use anyway. I'm not keen on starting an ECL 3 game with only one class level, particularly with 1 HD. Maybe Racial classes, but still, I think the last build is best.
The question is feat choices.
[Removed for the sake of our less mature peers  :P]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 02:51:19 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1356 on: September 28, 2008, 02:38:36 AM »
Over a table, you mean...?  :lol

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1357 on: September 28, 2008, 03:32:17 AM »
By the way, my cohort is complete.  Here.  And SiFir, does Expanded Aura of Courage apply to all Rebalanced Paladin auras?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 07:02:15 PM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #1358 on: September 28, 2008, 09:25:27 PM »
By the way, my cohort is complete.  Here.  And SiFir, does Expanded Aura of Courage apply to all Rebalanced Paladin auras?

Yes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #1359 on: September 28, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Obscure game referrence: