Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198817 times)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #820 on: September 05, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »
Regarding HP: If we got totally gimped rolls ((1, 3) with 2d8), do we just suck it up and avoid hits like the plague?

Regarding Alignment: Is it acceptable to have a comical villain that is LE? I've been making Billy "Dr. Horrible." :couch
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #821 on: September 05, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
Regarding HP: If we got totally gimped rolls ((1, 3) with 2d8), do we just suck it up and avoid hits like the plague?
There's a reason I choose to go with average for hp rolls.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #822 on: September 05, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
So, Lands of Ice is JaronK, Dman, d_s, Andy, and me.

Roles filled: skillmonkey, BC (to a degree), healing. 

D_S and Andy, any specific roles either of you want to fill?  I've got so many ideas I'll just fill whatever is left, that's what I'm good at.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #823 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
At the moment, I am waiting for and answer to my question to the gestalt thing. I am playing a caster of some sort, probably a Feral Draconic DW Kobold with Loredrake + Greater Rite. I am envisioning a tribe of Kobolds who fell into barbarianism and became feral after the fall of the Ice Empire a while back, roaming the ice and surviving on wits, predation and things like that. My guy would be a caster type who according to some in the tribe is blessed (according to others cursed) by the Gods. In other words, in a tribe of hunters and warriors, he is a "weakling" caster. After a lifetime of this, he decides to prove himself to the world and his tribe and go on a mission to bring wealth and glory back to the tribe.

Something along those lines. It is a toss up between the Feral Draconic or straight Phrenic (where he will really be a weakling).

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #824 on: September 05, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
I've never had the chance to play a Binder, so I'm looking at one of them. Any suggestions as what to pair it with?

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #825 on: September 05, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »
There's a reason I choose to go with average for hp rolls.
I searched the thread (not read through all the pages (there are just too many for that), but used the search function) before rolling to check if that was an option, but I didn't see that.  :wall

EDIT: Oh, I found the exchange between Callix and Sinfire about it just now. Oddly, the boards gave them (the posts) 3.6% relevance in a search for "hit points" when the posts contain "hit points" My earlier search had been for "hp."
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:36:06 PM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #826 on: September 06, 2008, 12:24:50 AM »
Sorry, I don't have time to read the whole thread just now. Are there any open slots currently? Thanks in advance!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: September 06, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Actually, I can go ahead and list the builds that I'm thinking of using and you can tell me what you think.  If I give a build a title, it can be viewed in this thread.

The build I just mentioned, an alternative Frozen Brawler build using Dwarf and Chaos Monk // Barbarian, my Master of Frost with no clue what to use as the other side of gestalt, The Dragon build with something with the fighter, maybe knight, The Forger build going Incarnate//Fighter.  And maybe something using the Spellfire Channeler PrC but I don't know about that.

So I'm about ready to fill any role really.  Even scrapped an idea for a dedicated skill-monkey.

Remember that PrCing messes with the Gestalt advancement, something a number of other players have been hesitant about doing. Personally, I'd like to see a Chaos Monk in action (and I would need to be emailed or PMed the class abilities, as I don't have that Dragon mag myself).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #828 on: September 06, 2008, 01:07:15 AM »
Actually, I can go ahead and list the builds that I'm thinking of using and you can tell me what you think.  If I give a build a title, it can be viewed in this thread.

The build I just mentioned, an alternative Frozen Brawler build using Dwarf and Chaos Monk // Barbarian, my Master of Frost with no clue what to use as the other side of gestalt, The Dragon build with something with the fighter, maybe knight, The Forger build going Incarnate//Fighter.  And maybe something using the Spellfire Channeler PrC but I don't know about that.

So I'm about ready to fill any role really.  Even scrapped an idea for a dedicated skill-monkey.

Remember that PrCing messes with the Gestalt advancement, something a number of other players have been hesitant about doing. Personally, I'd like to see a Chaos Monk in action (and I would need to be emailed or PMed the class abilities, as I don't have that Dragon mag myself).
Yeah, there seem to be a number of Chaos Monks actually. There's one here, here, and here.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: September 06, 2008, 01:16:51 AM »
DW?

Edit: oh, dragonwrought. Wasn't familiar with the acronym. I've seen worse than that (We do have Unseelie Draconic Magic-Blooded Fire Cast Dromite craziness in Valua and a Symbiotic Rime Sprite/Human in Yafutoma, after all).
Geez. We got enough templates there, man?

OK. If that is what is going to happen, then I will go all out nuts.

One thing, though. Don't know how weird this is or if it is even legal, but:
Anyone noticed Incarnate Construct?
-2 LA, and 2 stats (Con & Int) that you get to roll when you apply it...

Spend you PB on the other 4 stats, roll Con and Int, then tack on any number of templates that will send you back to LA +0 again (or more if you are that way inclined).

Of course, finding a construct you can put that on is going to be difficult.

Also:

I am not getting it. How is dual casters going to give you any more than the normal caster levels and stuff?

For example:

Druid 10//Wizard 10 = CL 10 in both, ECL 10

Druid 4//Wizard 4 / Arcane Heirophant 6 = CL 10 in both, ECL 10

Am I missing something here?

Yes you are. You are overlooking that Druid/Wizard isn't a Gestalt character, but a class made specifically for this campaign. I said in the OP that we are using the Gestalt rules as the basis for making a class, and in doing so I made casters obscene by mistake.

So when Mystic Theurge goes to apply the +1 Arcane and +1 Divine, it sees that they are both the same class. Because of this, double-casters who take levels in a single advancement class (like a Wizard/Beguiler going into Unseen Seer) would apply the +1 Arcane to a single base class that just happens to be two casting classes mixed together. In effect, such a character would have inadvertently made Unseen Seer into a Dual Arcane advancement class, as he is applying the benefits of its arcane advancement to only one class, instead of to only one half of his Gestalt. Thus, PrCs like Mystic Theurge apply their benefits to the same class instead of two different ones. So a Druid//Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 2 would cast as a 7th level Druid and a 7th level Wizard, rather than 5th level of both.

And I can't force it to apply to just one side of the gestalt, as spellcasting is a single class feature (despite the differences between the two types of spellcasting, they are still a single class feature). Thus I am against allowing a dual-caster class to advance a Dual caster character unless the second spellcasting class isn't a part of the Gestalt class.

I have no problem with allowing the classes, I have a problem letting Wiz//Druid enter Mystic Theurge without another Divine or Arcane casting class to advance. I've got no problem with someone going Wizard//Druid 3/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10 and getting three different types of abilities on one character, or with someone playing a Wizard 3//Psion 3/Ur-Priest 2/Psychic Theurge 10 and being a triple-threat.

Oh, and no Incarnate Construct tricks, please. Its as broken as Anthro-Bat, so I can't allow the tricks to happen seeing as I've banned Bat all ready.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #830 on: September 06, 2008, 01:18:59 AM »

Regarding Alignment: Is it acceptable to have a comical villain that is LE? I've been making Billy "Dr. Horrible." :couch

You can choose to take averages or spend FP if you would like.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: September 06, 2008, 01:19:12 AM »
I've never had the chance to play a Binder, so I'm looking at one of them. Any suggestions as what to pair it with?

Personal favorite for Warlock is Knight or Crusader. Or you could do what 4E should have done and combine Binder with it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: September 06, 2008, 01:21:25 AM »
Sorry, I don't have time to read the whole thread just now. Are there any open slots currently? Thanks in advance!

Mid-Ocean still needs two. Nasr is set as soon as I finish a Hexblade fix, and Lands of Ice just needs Nanshork and DS to finish up.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #833 on: September 06, 2008, 01:31:13 AM »
Quoted for reiteration.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: September 06, 2008, 01:32:33 AM »
Quoted for reiteration.

Explain it, I am unfamiliar with the character.

Chaos Monk: Allowed. Kicks ass too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: September 06, 2008, 01:50:32 AM »
It's kind of hard to explain just exactly what he is like, so I present the musical itself: http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog#s-p1-st-i0
It is 40 minutes long and incredibly hilarious.
I have, however, included something of a summary of him below (in case you don't have the time to watch it, though even watching a few minutes should give a pretty solid idea), however, and my character sheet includes a lot of information in the Personality, Character Traits, Contacts/Friends, and Enemies sections.

Billy is your run-of-the-mill shy guy who lives an average life, or so it seems. His "alter ego," Dr. Horrible, seeks to improve society by destroying the "status quo because the status is not... quo." His exploits under the guise of Dr. Horrible have included using a trans-matter ray to steal gold ingots from a bank (which, during the "trans-matter event" were liquified, but he points out in his video blog (obviously would have to change that to fit the technology level somehow) that the point isn't to make money, it is to take money), hijacking a van (wagon?) to steal the Wonderflonium in it for his Freeze Ray (not sure what that would have been in D&D terms since it's a totally made-up element anyway), and attempting to kill Captain Hammer at a dedication ceremony with the Mayor.

The entire musical is a little absurd, so some of the things he does are a little odd: first of all, publicly sharing his video blog (which, he discovers, Captain Hammer [his nemesis] and the police [town guard?] are viewers of and using the information there to know his plans and stop him), also working on his evil laugh with a vocal coach, applying to join an Evil League of Evil, being somewhat inept at creating devices (his freeze ray, which basically puts the target into stasis, for instance, originally took too long to charge, leading to him getting a truck thrown at him by Captain Hammer, and then, in its second incarnation, wears off after a few minutes; his Death Ray also malfunctions after simply being dropped, causing it to explode when fired and accidentally kills the girl of his dreams (Captain Hammer fired it in an attempt to kill Dr. Horrible), and he also refuses to kill innocent bystanders (one reason he cites for not battling Johnny Snow, who is deluded into thinking he is Horrible's nemesis, aside from Captain Hammer being his real nemesis, is that the park Johnny was waiting at had children there). Another example of this "mercy" is his refusal to kill a kid who would grow up to be President (according to "Hourglass") or to smother an old lady (both suggested by his friend, Moist, as ways to get accepted into the League after being informed by Bad Horse's minions that he had to kill someone).

To replicate his weapons (his stun ray (which he later upgrades to a Death Ray), his freeze ray, his trans-matter ray, and his Horrible Remote), I was intending to craft wands of various spells that could replicate the same types of effects and then use wand chambers in crossbows to make it seem more like a gun-type ray (in appearance).

EDIT: I'm still debating Lawful or Neutral for the non-Evil component since he is very structured, but he also wants to destroy and replace the current societal structure.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:02:08 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: September 06, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »
It's kind of hard to explain just exactly what he is like, so I present the musical itself: http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog#s-p1-st-i0
It is 40 minutes long and incredibly hilarious.
I have, however, included something of a summary of him below (in case you don't have the time to watch it, though even watching a few minutes should give a pretty solid idea), however, and my character sheet includes a lot of information in the Personality, Character Traits, Contacts/Friends, and Enemies sections.

Billy is your run-of-the-mill shy guy who lives an average life, or so it seems. His "alter ego," Dr. Horrible, seeks to improve society by destroying the "status quo because the status is not... quo." His exploits under the guise of Dr. Horrible have included using a trans-matter ray to steal gold ingots from a bank (which, during the "trans-matter event" were liquified, but he points out in his video blog (obviously would have to change that to fit the technology level somehow) that the point isn't to make money, it is to take money).

The entire musical is a little absurd, so some of the things he does are a little odd: first of all, publicly sharing his video blog (which, he discovers, Captain Hammer [his nemesis] and the police [town guard?] are viewers of and using the information there to know his plans and stop him), also working on his evil laugh with a vocal coach, applying to join an Evil League of Evil, being somewhat inept at creating devices (his freeze ray, which basically puts the target into stasis, for instance, originally took too long to charge, leading to him getting a truck thrown at him by Captain Hammer, and then, in its second incarnation, wears off after a few minutes; his Death Ray also malfunctions after simply being dropped, causing it to explode when fired and accidentally kills the girl of his dreams (Captain Hammer fired it in an attempt to kill Dr. Horrible), and he also refuses to kill innocent bystanders (one reason he cites for not battling Johnny Snow, who is deluded into thinking he is Horrible's nemesis, aside from Captain Hammer being his real nemesis, is that the park Johnny was waiting at had children there). Another example of this "mercy" is his refusal to kill a kid who would grow up to be President (according to "Hourglass") or to smother an old lady (both suggested by his friend, Moist, as ways to get accepted into the League after being informed by Bad Horse's minions that he had to kill someone).

To replicate his weapons (his stun ray (which he later upgrades to a Death Ray), his freeze ray, his trans-matter ray, and his Horrible Remote), I was intending to craft wands of various spells that could replicate the same types of effects and then use wand chambers in crossbows to make it seem more like a gun-type ray (in appearance).

Perfectly LE, if a bit idiotic. He's actively restraining himself while doing evil, which shows a strong code on his behalf (though NE is capable of this, they are more willing to violate such a code, and LN wouldn't break the law that blatantly).

You do know that you can put wand chambers into an actual handgun in this game, right? The barrel can easily be modified to fit such an attachment.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: September 06, 2008, 02:04:33 AM »
>_> Real guns in D&D totally suck (at least the DMG ones, I'm not aware of any others)... Their range is pretty limited, their damage mediocre, and they take forever to reload (standard action).

EDIT: Oh, and you need EWP with them or you suffer -4 on attack, unlike with Crossbows, which are martial (hand crossbow and repeating crossbows as exceptions).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:12:13 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: September 06, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »
>_> Real guns in D&D totally suck (at least the DMG ones, I'm not aware of any others)... Their range is pretty limited, their damage mediocre, and they take forever to reload (standard action).

Any feats that apply to crossbows apply to guns. Same with other effects, such as enhancements. That, and I allow MWK ones to be repeaters instead of muzzle-loaders. No reload on those babies!

Edit: Handguns are exotic, rifles are martial in my games.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:19:08 AM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: September 06, 2008, 02:37:54 AM »
So, Lands of Ice is JaronK, Dman, d_s, Andy, and me.

Roles filled: skillmonkey, BC (to a degree), healing. 

D_S and Andy, any specific roles either of you want to fill?  I've got so many ideas I'll just fill whatever is left, that's what I'm good at.

Oh I have BC control down.  Imagine me as a summoner with a spiked chain.  And all my summons have spiked chains.  Eventually I'm thinking I'll be able to do walls, but by that time we might not be standing on sheets of ice where I have an unlimited amount of water to work with.  Portable holes covering my body!  Or just on a mobile platform.  Or something else.  One thing's for sure: I'll always have my "spiked chain".  I just might not always be able to summon, since it takes upwards of 30 gallons of water to make a single large tentacle.  Gotta find a way to up the amount of water I can take with me, I want to at least be able to use Octopus+Water Whip at the same time later, and that takes around 30 gal to pull off.  Same as the "summons" +WW if I want to protect the party (I can turtle and make it effective, since the enemy won't be able to effectively hit the party instead of just me) instead of just me.  Some quick math....I'll need around 256 gal for the tentacles alone eventually.  That's 8 large ones (10' reach, spread out, nothing's getting by without being tripped).  Then another gal for my whip, which'll have enough reach to cover a good part of the battlefield.  Not to mention the difficult terrain I'll be making.  The only thing I can't do at all right now (effectively.....if I had a minute in game I could do it) is walls.  And I don't have the healing seed yet....that's next level.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.