Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198806 times)

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #720 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28:20 AM »
Gorlab Nilbog, Human (Feral) Gestalt Druid\Scout 2 - Skies of Arcadia, Nasr setting.
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #721 on: August 26, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »
I'm making the Martial Artist fixed version for Blanche, but otherwise I think I'm good. I'll be editing up the background, especially if two formerly active members don't report in... although the general idea will still remain the same.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #722 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:22 AM »
Gargel, Rogue//Totemist, waiting on Ixa'taka.
I know gameology-fu.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #723 on: August 26, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
>Agita: Charge Barb/Crus 3 LFP in Ixa
>RandomBob27: stop spamin dud
>RandomSteve163: yasrsly
>RandomBob27: STOP SPAMMIN
>Agita: But... everyone invites a spammer.
>Agita: Right?

:P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:57:01 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #724 on: August 26, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
Meiro, Wizard/Archivist waiting for Ixa'Taka.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #725 on: August 26, 2008, 03:17:01 PM »
Invisible Castle is back up!
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #726 on: August 26, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
Half Paragon//Human Paragon 1/Fighter 1/Swordsage 1 for Mid-Ocean... as soon as I can come up with a name and finish up my damn backstory >_<.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »
Ixa'taka is ready to launch. I'll post it soon.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #729 on: August 28, 2008, 04:03:36 PM »
Okay, I'm going to, once my character is finished, as long as a few things work out, apply for Nasr.

Those things are a few questions about Spellguard of Silverymoon. Now, I realize there's probably a tempation to say they should be in Mid-Ocean just based on the name. But since Silverymoon itself is a city, a Spellguard in Arcadia would really be a Spellguard of X or simply a Spellguard (not that I dislike Mid-Ocean, but the connection is entirely superficial there).

So when I thought about it, the Spellguard seemed most fit for the Lands of Ice at first. After all, they defend the city against the perilous forces outside and the Lands of Ice are filled with dragons and worms and other beasts. But the problem was in what I've already stated: they defend the city. They defend civilization and a bastion of hope. The Lands of Ice, as you've made clear, are void of any lasting outpost because of the harsh climes.

So, with Mid-Ocean being a trade-and-adventuring-oriented location (for warforged to descend into deep sky on excavations, and for sailors to... sail, etc.), and with the Lands of Ice being unsuited to the Spellguard's purpose, that leaves Nasr.

Also, Nasr has the benefit of filling my recent desire: I'm tempted slightly to imitate the beginning of the Dark Tower and open with a variation on the line, "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." :lol

So my question is this: what place would best replace Silverymoon, if any; or, if no such place would be quite suitable, what happens then to the active duty requirement of the prestige class.

Also, I would like to know how available scrolls are for spells not from the PHB (such as CArc, SpC, CMage, CDiv, CC spells).

And I would also like to know if wizard "colleges" exist (as mentioned on page 62 of the Silver Marches book, and probably elsewhere, but the sidebar in that book is what caught my eye).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #730 on: August 28, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
Okay, I'm going to, once my character is finished, as long as a few things work out, apply for Nasr.

Those things are a few questions about Spellguard of Silverymoon. Now, I realize there's probably a tempation to say they should be in Mid-Ocean just based on the name. But since Silverymoon itself is a city, a Spellguard in Arcadia would really be a Spellguard of X or simply a Spellguard (not that I dislike Mid-Ocean, but the connection is entirely superficial there).

So when I thought about it, the Spellguard seemed most fit for the Lands of Ice at first. After all, they defend the city against the perilous forces outside and the Lands of Ice are filled with dragons and worms and other beasts. But the problem was in what I've already stated: they defend the city. They defend civilization and a bastion of hope. The Lands of Ice, as you've made clear, are void of any lasting outpost because of the harsh climes.

So, with Mid-Ocean being a trade-and-adventuring-oriented location (for warforged to descend into deep sky on excavations, and for sailors to... sail, etc.), and with the Lands of Ice being unsuited to the Spellguard's purpose, that leaves Nasr.

Also, Nasr has the benefit of filling my recent desire: I'm tempted slightly to imitate the beginning of the Dark Tower and open with a variation on the line, "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." :lol

So my question is this: what place would best replace Silverymoon, if any; or, if no such place would be quite suitable, what happens then to the active duty requirement of the prestige class.

Also, I would like to know how available scrolls are for spells not from the PHB (such as CArc, SpC, CMage, CDiv, CC spells).

And I would also like to know if wizard "colleges" exist (as mentioned on page 62 of the Silver Marches book, and probably elsewhere, but the sidebar in that book is what caught my eye).

Nasr and Sailor's Island would be the only places I can think of. A bit of Temporal Muddling could get the Lands of Ice to work for you, but that should only be done if there are no other options.

Scrolls are readily available from Sailor's Island, Valua, and just about every major city on the Plane. Basically, pick some spells. If I ok them, you can expect to see them some time in the future.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #731 on: August 28, 2008, 05:10:32 PM »

Nasr and Sailor's Island would be the only places I can think of. A bit of Temporal Muddling could get the Lands of Ice to work for you, but that should only be done if there are no other options.

Scrolls are readily available from Sailor's Island, Valua, and just about every major city on the Plane. Basically, pick some spells. If I ok them, you can expect to see them some time in the future.

Okay, so: Spellguard of Nasrad or Sailor's Island will be fine?

I'll make a list shortly of spells I'm interested in.

Also, I assume there is relatively easy travel between nations. Is this correct?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #732 on: August 28, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

Okay, so: Spellguard of Nasrad or Sailor's Island will be fine?

Also, I assume there is relatively easy travel between nations. Is this correct?

Yes to the PrC. The only easy way is flying around in an air ship. The cheapest way is to lasso an Arc Whale and hold on for dear life. The most effective way is Teleportation.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #733 on: August 28, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure most campaigns, if not all, find themselves on airships at some point or another. We buy ours though and modify it, so we can ensure it's stronger. XD

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #734 on: August 28, 2008, 10:10:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure most campaigns, if not all, find themselves on airships at some point or another. We buy ours though and modify it, so we can ensure it's stronger. XD

In this campaign setting, i can guarantee that much. Can't say the same thing for an FR campaign though.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #735 on: August 29, 2008, 04:54:55 AM »
Heh, bad wording. Meant all of the parties (and their respective sub-campaigns), but I guess that's why I'm revisiting writing. :)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: August 30, 2008, 09:39:05 AM »

Okay, before I get carried away with too many exciting ideas...

I need some clarification on adding spells via scrolls and research.

"A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in ." (PHB)

"Independent Research: A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spellwhat types of scrolls can a wizard draw spells from to add to his or her spells known list?

At the same time, this confuses me regarding the Independent Research section. "Duplicating an existing spell" isn't really defined in any way. There are rules for creating new spells that specify things such as: "Wizards and sorcerers should not cast healing spells, but they should have the best offensive spells. If the spell is flashy or dramatic, it should probably be a wizard/sorcerer spell." So this seems to state that you could add spells to your spells known list as long as they are not healing spells. But this seems pointless given that you could add said healing spells to your spells known list as long as you obtained a scroll (and passed the spellcraft check, etc.).

Again, I reiterate that while the PHB refers the reader to the DMG section on creating new spells for both new spells and "duplicat[ed] spells," it has no procedure for duplicating spells, no pricing for research, and no time for research. The rules are ill-defined.

Methods of Adding Spells Summarized:

Magic Scrolls: typically entails the price of said scroll (exceptions being a scroll found or stolen, etc.). By RAW, any scroll, whether of divine or arcane origin, regardless of the class, alignment, etc. of the caster (parts of the origin).

Spellbooks: typically entails some sort of price as well, but can be free if the wizard is willing to "share." I suppose you could share scrolls, too, and there's probably less risk in loaning someone a scroll (a single spell they might cast and waste your scroll) than your spellbook (which you are usually fairly useless without in the case that they decide to steal it). This actually seems like a fairly unreliable option unless there are multiple wizards in the party. This doesn't allow for spell-trigger use like a scroll, but it usually contains quite a few spells. Pricing can vary wildly, though, so its value as an option is uncertain.

Independent Research: there is no defined cost or time for the process. Also, depending on how literally you read "duplicating an existing spell," you might attempt just that and create an exact copy of the spell, class restriction, spell level, etc. and all (an exact duplicate, fairly worthless unless this is cheaper than a scroll as you could then add spells belonging to your class for less than the price of the scroll you would otherwise purchase; the difference here would be that you cannot use the spell-trigger aspect of a scroll for a "free" casting). As such, it's not entirely clear if you can create, for instance, a Wizard/Sorcerer version of a Cleric spell, or if you can only create Cleric versions of Cleric spells.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #737 on: August 30, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »

Okay, before I get carried away with too many exciting ideas...

I need some clarification on adding spells via scrolls and research.

"A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in ." (PHB)

"Independent Research: A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spellwhat types of scrolls can a wizard draw spells from to add to his or her spells known list?

At the same time, this confuses me regarding the Independent Research section. "Duplicating an existing spell" isn't really defined in any way. There are rules for creating new spells that specify things such as: "Wizards and sorcerers should not cast healing spells, but they should have the best offensive spells. If the spell is flashy or dramatic, it should probably be a wizard/sorcerer spell." So this seems to state that you could add spells to your spells known list as long as they are not healing spells. But this seems pointless given that you could add said healing spells to your spells known list as long as you obtained a scroll (and passed the spellcraft check, etc.).

Again, I reiterate that while the PHB refers the reader to the DMG section on creating new spells for both new spells and "duplicat[ed] spells," it has no procedure for duplicating spells, no pricing for research, and no time for research. The rules are ill-defined.

Methods of Adding Spells Summarized:

Magic Scrolls: typically entails the price of said scroll (exceptions being a scroll found or stolen, etc.). By RAW, any scroll, whether of divine or arcane origin, regardless of the class, alignment, etc. of the caster (parts of the origin).

Spellbooks: typically entails some sort of price as well, but can be free if the wizard is willing to "share." I suppose you could share scrolls, too, and there's probably less risk in loaning someone a scroll (a single spell they might cast and waste your scroll) than your spellbook (which you are usually fairly useless without in the case that they decide to steal it). This actually seems like a fairly unreliable option unless there are multiple wizards in the party. This doesn't allow for spell-trigger use like a scroll, but it usually contains quite a few spells. Pricing can vary wildly, though, so its value as an option is uncertain.

Independent Research: there is no defined cost or time for the process. Also, depending on how literally you read "duplicating an existing spell," you might attempt just that and create an exact copy of the spell, class restriction, spell level, etc. and all (an exact duplicate, fairly worthless unless this is cheaper than a scroll as you could then add spells belonging to your class for less than the price of the scroll you would otherwise purchase; the difference here would be that you cannot use the spell-trigger aspect of a scroll for a "free" casting). As such, it's not entirely clear if you can create, for instance, a Wizard/Sorcerer version of a Cleric spell, or if you can only create Cleric versions of Cleric spells.

In order to copy a scroll into your spellbook you need to be able to cast the spell in question. Otherwise you cannot even begin the process. The same thing applies to copying another person's spellbook.

Independent Research used to duplicate a spell or power that all ready exists does have rules for it. Check the XPH, or just click here for the formula. Do note that some spells have additional changes based on what class is adding the spell to their list (A duskblade who tries to grab Wraithstrike will find that the spell's level is upped to 4th for them, despite it being a 2nd level Wizard spell).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #738 on: August 30, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »
Thanks for the link. The DMG, which had the section that the PHB's "independent research" section (which I assumed was the primary resource...) referred to, lacked it, so I assumed that it didn't exist.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #739 on: August 30, 2008, 10:25:28 AM »
Thanks for the link. The DMG, which had the section that the PHB's "independent research" section (which I assumed was the primary resource...) referred to, lacked it, so I assumed that it didn't exist.

They didn't including that cost until the XPH was printed, so it confused me too.

[spoiler][/spoiler]