Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198807 times)

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2008, 02:33:22 AM »
Oh for Pete's sake!  Arms race?!  Did you REEED the RUUUULZ?!   :o

This is GESTALT!  EVERYTHING is overpowered!  Half my builds don't even cast spells - how the hell are TEMPLATES going to make them "broken"?   ???

Sheesh.
I'm behind you on this but, keep in mind that when you display templated supercreature #1, you make the people who follow you think that they have to make templated supercreature #2. Some of these people will be casters, which will make things worse. Also look at the builds of the people in the game, are those your target or are you aiming for a point completely off of the spectrum? I can tell you that 0 LA things can have a real effect on game balance. In a game I played someone used a creature that had racial HD and a lot of SLAs without the level adjust, the LA was rediculously high and should have been lowered but this went too far. Due to a Cha in the 40's and the aforementioned SLAs the rest of the party was just a bunch of NPCs. Now to be fair, most of them were a bunch of glorified NPCs, they had builds that barely hit a 1 on the scale, but one was a DMM Persist Cleric with a decent build and he was sitting like an NPC as well. I guess I'm just "once burned twice shy" about this but I don't really like 0 LA templates, they are by nature a power inflation that I would be happy to avoid.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:34:53 AM by Akula »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2008, 06:01:48 AM »
I call dibs on a symbiotic Human Druid/Monk (Frank Trollman's). If Sinfire would just approve it, I can start making a character  :)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2008, 08:00:08 AM »
I think Sinfire is going to be able to pick and choose, Ieniemienie. He's got enough characters to run at least two games, so we'll see if we get approved. I still stand by Rogue/Totemist; Landshark Boots is good because I can keep moving while attacking. Does anyone know where Battle Jump is located?
I know gameology-fu.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »
Unapproachable East; requires character origin from the Taer region, iirc

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »
Well, there goes that option. I'll keep looking. Then again, the fact that I could jump 20 feet reliably at level 3 is probably its own reward. That and the 4 attacks as a single standard action.
I know gameology-fu.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »
Well, there goes that option. I'll keep looking. Then again, the fact that I could jump 20 feet reliably at level 3 is probably its own reward. That and the 4 attacks as a single standard action.
4 attacks in a single action is not bad indeed!
I just made a start on the symbiotic thing, which is a pain in the ass, but realized he has numerous at will abilities, immunities, resistances, ability increase, natural armor, natural attacks, etc, etc, etc. I think it is too high on my otimization scale  :o

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2008, 10:47:24 AM »
@Callix: if the problem is the Taer region requirement, Sinfire is usually pretty flexible. Now, this is not an incitation to go over the top with Battle Jump. ;)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
I'm interested in joining...

While I wait for Sinfire's response on who is playing what, I will think on something to play (possibly his homebrew class and something else...)

And I don't know anything about the setting (besides the name  :P)

Oh yeah....

Sinfire: minimum posting rate expected?

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »
Some further Yafutoma flavored ideas (most contain warblade, I want to slice things) :

Warblade/Feat Rogue -> Lockdown/Dominator style, with guisarme. Also works with Psywar but increases MAD. Lots o' skills, yum.

Speaker is a Bard/Crusader, wich seems to work given your indications on Yafutoma.

Warblade/Incarnate (Law) -> Works great, incarnate melds are sexy in Gestalt. Judge Dredd feel.

Something with Iaijutsu Focus. Unfortunately, only two somewhat crappy base classes have it (samurai and sohei), beyond the Factotum, and prestige classing is less attractive in this configuration. I'm thinking Cosmopolitan from FRCS, would you allow that, Sinfire ?

Warblade/Binder

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
He, my character uses a guisarme and he's damn good at throwing people with it (Setting Sun). He could throw them into your Lock...
Then again, Tshern is a Crusader - I don't remember where he was headed.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »
Sinfire, is a Feral (Savage Species) Diaboli (Dragon 327) okay?

If so, I'd like to ask to change the DIaboli from an Outsider to a Fey.  Not for power reasons (imo Fey is weaker than Outsider), but just for flavour purposes - I'd like to reflavour the race as fey, who have sprung spontaneously from nature/green moonstone as defenders of the wild.  Then I'd like to reflavour incarnum, no longer as souls, but as binding the raw power of nature to my command.  With the Fey Diaboli following an Animist religion, but focused on Magical Beasts instead of animals, so you would appeal to the Purple Worm Totem in order to bind Wormtail Belt, etc

IF that's okay then I'm thinking start as a Feral Diaboli Totemist 2 // Shapeshift Druid 2, with feats as Barbed Stinger (Serpent Kingdoms), Multigrab (Savage Species) and Greensinger Initiate (ECS).  Greensinger gives me some social skills and spells for some fun out of combat.

Then continue as Totemist 20 // Druid 20 the whole way (tempted to retrain to Wild Shape, in which case pick up Natural Spell and Share Soulmeld), and ending up with feats like this:

Flaws: Barbed Stinger, Multigrab
1: Greensinger Initiate
3: Shape Soulmeld (Mauling Gauntlets)
6: Bonus Essentia
9: Greater Multigrab*
12: Double Chakra Bind (Totem)
15: Planar Touchstone (for Incarnum Domain)
18: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity

* possibly move this to earlier in the build, but I will likely need magic items to get the Dex prereq

Customary Soulmelds being Girallon Arms and Muling Gauntlets for grappling purposes, Phase Cloak/Blink Shirt for mobility, and Sphinx Claws for pounce later on.  Also picking up the Mask of the Tiger and some Serpent Armour for Track and Combat Reflexes (with large Wild Shape forms).  Basically intended as a melee juggernaut and battlefield controller.

Personality wise, I quite like the base Diaboli description - in spite of his fearsome appearance, he actually has a heart of gold.  Probably a vegan, who would ideally like to be a pacifist if only the world would let him (if I had the feats spare I might go Exalted with VoP), meticulously polite, a truly beautiful singing voice.  Similar to Chumley in the Myth books.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:57:44 PM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »
the build looks good :)

I have never been a good combat optimizer, so now I definitely want to go Summoner Druid//X

Enclosed please find the Symbiotic template abuse, and let me know what you think. I think it is over the top...

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »
Just so no one steps on my feet ...  I'm going with a Druid//Martial Adept.  Eet ees MEIN!

Seeing a lot of people wanting to play Druids ...  Tee hee.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2008, 06:28:43 PM »
Hehe, Sinfire is gonna be SWAMPED when he checks this thread next :D

Okay, so I notice a lot of people are flavoring for Yafutoma, and to be honest, I'm having trouble thinking of a Yafutoma flavored build (even though it's one of the most fun places in SoA)... So I'm still in it, but I'd rather join another section of the game, either Mid Ocean, Ixa'taka, Valua, Nasr, or Glacia (in that order, probably)... So I'll just sit here patiently until Sinfire lets us know what other campaigns he's porting over.  :flirt

Also, as an aside, has anyone read the Gemini Dancer over on WotC, what're your thoughts on it?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »
I agree with AC; the best I can do for Yafutoma is Wizard//Warblade, which really doesn't excite me. I can wait for the Mid-Ocean or Ixa'taka game that all those druids want to play in.
I know gameology-fu.

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »
Seeing a lot of people wanting to play Druids ...  Tee hee.

It's hard to say no to them in a Gestalt game that discourages multiclassing.  For me, it's more that I wanna play a Totemist and Druid just seemed the obvious choice to pair it with.

However, I've just realised that regardless of whether I Shapeshift or Wild Shape, I lose my tail attack.  So, Druid ain't so hot anymore imo.

Anyone got any good ideas?  What I can think of is:

- stick with Druid and just suck it up.

- stick with Druid and swap Wild Shape for the UA variant (Monk AC, Favored Enemy, Track) and maybe the Animal Companion for Druidic Avenger (Rage).  I like this one, only real problem is the lack of ways to enlarge myself (and Enlarge Person from potions/party members won't work as I'm not humanoid)

- Archivist, still gets me the Druid spells (Bites, Gtr Magic Fang), but also Righteous Might for the size boost.  Just means I have to get my Int to 19 eventually (Feral makes it an issue, but with 43 PB I can manage).

- Psywar, lots of feats (maybe some battlefield control stuff), self Expansion, psionic lion's charge, natural attack buffs, buffs in general.

- Swordsage or Warblade - one gets better skills and Will Save as opposed to full BAB and D12 HD.  Either works pretty well maneuvers-wise, especially at low levels.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 08:26:51 PM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »
I'm going with Swordsage on my Druid, myself.  It's hard to pass up the Wis-to-AC thing, ya know.  Starting out with the shapeshift variant, just for a change of pace.

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2008, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm going to be a music box.

No, seriously.  Y'all gonna just LOVE me.  Since we're going for a video game feel, I'm going to be Gato from Chrono Trigger.  With some . . . modifications.

He's Bard/Crusader.  This frees up the Factotum/Warblade for whoever wanted it.

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
Ah, the music box is good, Speaker in one of the previous campaigns was one and helped the party alot while dishing teh violence :)

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »
Mirro, an awesome Swordruid!