Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198889 times)

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »
You might want two things :

A) Stacking auras (paladin, dragon shaman, binder [focalor], etc...)

B) Build up a lot of charisma synergy
Paladin is too lawful, I don't like Dragon Shaman and Dragonfire Adept is so much more fun/better, Binder I have never played...

What synergies can be had with charisma?  :blush
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »
Short answer : a lot of them

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Tons.

I'm claiming Factotum/Warblade, for fun with ninja-riffic moves.

* Factotum/Warblade: Font of Inspiration (1st), Font of Inspiration (human), Font of Inspiration (flaw), Font of Inspiration (flaw), Font of Inspiration (3rd). 15 points of inspiration = attack, damage, and savez goodness.  Plus all the fun of being a skill monkey AND a bit of a bruiser.  Int synergy helps out too.  Good times.  Pick up Autohypnosis and Iaijutsu Focus.  Use niffy maneuvers.

Some other ideas I've been playing with:

* HULK - Fighter/Psychic Warrior: Azure Talent (1st), Psycarnum Infusion (human), Overchannel (flaw), Talented (flaw), Power Attack (Fighter 1), Improved Bull Rush (Psychic Warrior 1), EWP - Meteor Hammer (Psychic Warrior 2), Combat Reflexes (Fighter 2), Knockback (3rd).  Boom!  I'm LARGE!  Boom!  I have 30 ft. of reach!  Boom!  I am smacking you with Aoos!  BOOM!  I am smashing you into things and flinging you about!  Raargh!
    * Chaos Monk/Psion: Monastic Training - Psion (1st), Azure Talent (human), Psycarnum Infusion (Psion 1), Overchannel (flaw), Kung-Fu Genius (flaw), Tashalatora (3rd).  A 3rd level monk who acts like a 6th level monk with a bunch of replenishing power points and Int to AC (which, along with Inertial Armor, makes you kind of hard to hit).  Made of fun.
    * Silverbrow Human Totemist/Scout: Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (1st), Dragonfire Strike (human), Shape Soulmeld - Fellmist Robe (flaw), Darkstalker (flaw), Improved Soulmeld Capacity (3rd).  Shoot tail spikes to deal 4d6 x 3 = 12d6 damage in three firey spikes of doom.  W00t.  Also play the skill monkey and hidey dude. 
    * Incarnate/Feat Rogue: Improved Spit (1st), Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (Azurin), Point Blank Shot (flaw), Improved Spit (flaw), Precise Shot (Feat Rogue 1), (Feat Rogue 2), Deadly Spittle (3rd).  Spray 4d6 acid damage in a 45 ft. cone.
    * Krinth Druid/Sorcerer: Shape Soulmeld - Dissolving Spittle (1st), Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (flaw), Share Soulmeld (flaw), Shadowform Familiar (3rd).  Enjoy having a 3d6 ranged touch attack (spit), that both your pets duplicate.  Spray 9d6 worth of acid at your enemies every round.  Please note that this is BEFORE casting any spells.  Yeesh.  Go into Beastmaster from Complete Adventurer later on to have more friends that can spit at your foes.  Your Shadowform Familiar will be a sexy lil' guy, and be able to scout things out nicely (what with being incorporeal and such).  Flavor-wise, maybe make this guy a "lord of serpents," and give him a couple of snakes (one viper as a familiar, one constrictor or viper as a companion).  Otherwise, maybe go for something handy like a bat (yay for blindsense!) or some such.

Incidentally, I'm a bit curious as to why animal companions, who were already an unbalanced and really BUFF feature of the unfairly BUFF Druid, have been given MORE POWER.  This confuses me to no end, and in fact makes me a bit grumpy.  You're giving the companion better stats, the freedom to be customized with FEATS (?!), and FLAWS to add on MORE FEATS?!?  This is a HIDEOUS power boost for a class that is already made of awesome and win, and I'm hard-pressed to see why anyone would want to have anything else as part of their gestalt (except for hating on casters and being a weirdo like me.  I'm like a d20 Luddite - I refuse to play using sensible levels of magic).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:10:34 PM by JanusJones »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »
Incidentally, I'm a bit curious as to why animal companions, who were already an unbalanced and really BUFF feature of the unfairly BUFF Druid, have been given MORE POWER.  This confuses me to no end, and in fact makes me a bit grumpy.  You're giving the companion better stats, the freedom to be customized with FEATS (?!), and FLAWS to add on MORE FEATS?!?  This is a HIDEOUS power boost for a class that is already made of awesome and win, and I'm hard-pressed to see why anyone would want to have anything else as part of their gestalt (except for hating on casters and being a weirdo like me.  I'm like a d20 Luddite - I refuse to play using sensible levels of magic).
Wow, can't believe I missed that in the first post.... Maybe I should go for Wisdom synergy instead of charisma then  :D Customizing your Animal companion and Familiar really is a bit too much...

edit: I have never been a charismatic character in a DnD game and I don;t think I will ever be... all of a sudden Druid//Monk (Frank Trollman's) does sound really good  :D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:55:31 PM by Ieniemienie »

JanusJones

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
Can we play Frank and K characters?  If so, then a WHOLE BUNCH of groovy feats opened up . . .

Charisma can be KING in d20 - you just have to know what you're doing.  Evil characters, thanks to Elder Evils, are even slicker when charismatic, too. 

Seriously, though - can you give NON-DRUIDS some sort of helping hand?  Frank and K feats and classes from Races of War might be a start . . . As it is, Druids are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too BUFF - even buffer than they normally are, which is still WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too BUFF.

Sigh.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
with me nothing can get out of hand  :rolleyes

I have no Idea whether Frank Trollman is allowed, I just like to play one some time... preferably now  :P

JanusJones

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »
Here's another idea for shits and giggles (and truly cinematic style!):

* Totem Druid 1 + Master of Many Forms 2/Fighter 3: Alertness (1st), Endurance (Strongheart), Extra Wild Shape (flaw), Power Attack (flaw), Improved Bull Rush (Fighter 1), Knockback (3rd).  Yeah!  This is the ONE, baby.  Become a Constrictor Naga or summat else and smash people. 
    * Totem Druid 1 + Master of Many Forms 2/Swordsage 3: Dragonwrought (1st), Alertness (flaw), Endurance (flaw), Assume Supernatural Ability (3rd).  +3 to all mental stats for being older than dirt helps you out.  This little kobold becomes scary things with high Wisdom and does crazy martial arts.  Blow things up!  Change shapes!  Truly, a "Master of Many Forms" - both physical and martial!   :D

Would be tons of fun, fo sho.  Stylish, too!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 05:03:53 PM by JanusJones »

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
Not familiar with the setting/game, but it sounds interesting.

I'm thinking Totemist mixed with something - probably Druid (likely using spontaneous casting as per UA) - lots of natural attacks, large strong combat forms, and buff spells.  Could also go for a Totemist // Swordsage which I think would be fun.

Tempted to go Wormtail Belt + Barbed Stinger a la Mr Stab N Grab (since it doesn't sound like Diaboli fit into the setting anywhere...?), likely using the tail grapple for AoOs with reach from shapeshift/wild shape.  Maybe a Feral Azurin.  So the Green Moon sounds like the most fitting.

@ JJ - I think you've missed the point that you have 2 classes to gestalt with, but any multi-classing you do is not gestalt (i.e. pick to classes and take 'em both to 20 afaic).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:46:22 PM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2008, 09:48:43 PM »
Yeah, you define your "gestalt class". Any other multiclassing is single class. For instance Swashbuckler//Rogue 3 then fighter 1, fighter only. (yeah, I wouldn't do that either, but that's an exemple)

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »

Has anyone dibbed a Factotum/ Warblade yet?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

JanusJones

« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »
Yes, I dibbed the Factotum/Warblade, so  :P.  heh.  I have other options - maybe we can negotiate.

He didn't say - usually the rule with gestalt is that PrC's don't count.  But still, Druids are pretty overpowered in this setup.

Awww - you're thinking Stab n' Grab?  You sweetheart!  I would LOVE to see a build I statted out in play!

Be better if we could figure out how to get you Improved Grab at 1st.  Totemist/Bear Totem Barb would work - that gets you Improved Grab at 1st, so you can take Multigrab and Improved Multigrab as your flaws and Extra Rage as your 1st.  Make yourself a Proto-Creature (Bestiary of Krynn) Water Orc (Unearthed Arcana) for a +8 to Strength, then pick up Barbed Stinger at 3rd.  That means you can grapple one critter with each arm and one with your stinger - not bad!  Drag those suckers through your allies to give us all free attacks and LAAAAAUGH while you do!

Course, that doesn't handle the size issue.  We need to get somebody who can expand you.  Hrm.

Makes me think about some other options.  Lessee here . . .

How bout THIS lil' gem?

* Unseelie Fey Proto-Creature Incarnate Dark Lloth-Touched Waforged Scout Scout/Ranger 3: EWP - Rope Dart (1st), Flyby Attack (flaw), Great Flyby Attack (flaw), Swift Hunter (3rd).  +6 Str, +6 Con, +4 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -4 Cha.  Fly 30 ft. in a straight line, hitting 6 targets within 15 ft. on either side of that line with a 1d4 + 2d6 + 1.5xStr mod damage hits.  Massive mods to Hide and Move Silently (+26/+24, iirc) make you a fricking ninja.  Grab Improved Skirmish at 3rd and Combat Reflexes when you can.  Own things a lot.

I'll keep thinking.  Should be interesting!

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2008, 10:39:06 PM »
I always did like Stabby.  Used a similar trick recently DMing with a Medusa advancing into Totemist for Wormtail Belt.  When she can pin you so you can't escape the gaze then it really scares players!

Feral would get Imp Grab at 1st level, the stats and natural AC boosts, and a Wis bonus for a Druid is nice.  The Dex penalty makes getting Gtr Multigrab hard tho.

And Wild Shape will get me all the size bonuses for grappling I need.  First thought was actually Totemist // Spirit Shaman, but it's just not as good as the Druid (even just Shapeshift Druid).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:45:57 PM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

JanusJones

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2008, 11:09:12 PM »
How does LA work with Gestalt?  I'd use it if I understood!

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2008, 11:15:15 PM »
Not to be a downer, but the OP has stressed the roleplaying aspects of this game. In wondering how great a challenge to RP Mr. Stabby(* Unseelie Fey Proto-Creature Incarnate Dark Lloth-Touched Waforged Scout Scout/Ranger 3) believably? God knows what the backstory would be like as well  :P

Sorry Janus, I didn't see your post with the Factotum/Warblade. No worries, I'll come up wuth something else, but do tell me if you decide to go with something else.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:22:05 PM by Straw_Man »
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 11:20:37 PM »
I'm just waiting on the ok for the echocaller. Sinfire, is there anything you wanted to change about it?

For that matter, to everyone else, what do you think would mesh well with it? I was thinking a monk or cleric, but my mind could be changed easily enough. Also, is there any way for a monk to get trapfinding?

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2008, 11:40:33 PM »
The level of optimization in here is scaring the pants off me...but that said, what is still needed?  We seem to have a lot of Druids running about, which could potentially cover all the bases anyhow.  I'm thinking a fancy-pants Bard or Roguey Swashbucklery type might be fun.  I've a yen for some Piratey swordplay and not-so-Piratey spontaneous casting.

I'm aware of Daring Outlaw, but are there any good synergies that can bring some Bard into that kind of role, or maybe Sorc?

JanusJones

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
d00d.

It's gestalt.  NOTHING is **needed**.  Play whatever the hell you feel like.

And yeah, Straw - trust me, you'd dig the backstory on that crazy character.  It ain't a lock, but it's just as far-fetched as EVERYTHING ELSE in d20 - I means SERIOUSLY!  How much more ridiculous could it be than a guy who can shoot fire out of his hands, disappear into thin air, strangle people with a shadowy garrote, etc.?  <swordsage>

It's all in how you choose to play the game, mang.

Akula

• Email
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:20 AM »
So we're doing the crazy template stacking thing now? :eh I'm down if it comes to that, I can see 27 Cha at level 3. But, keep in mind that coming with a backstory will be hell, pure hell, so lets not do the arms race. Pretty please? :flirt

JanusJones

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »
Oh for Pete's sake!  Arms race?!  Did you REEED the RUUUULZ?!   :o

This is GESTALT!  EVERYTHING is overpowered!  Half my builds don't even cast spells - how the hell are TEMPLATES going to make them "broken"?   ???

Sheesh.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2008, 01:58:16 AM »
IIRC LA applies on both sides of the Gestalt : buyoff is allowed, but you may not want to get more than a +1...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson