Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 199235 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #920 on: September 09, 2008, 09:10:31 AM »
Immune/Resist Cold will at least get rid of the best part of the environmental hazards :P

But yes, I know. It is a Fun build, not a Power one.

I'll go with the Power Build then. I'll try to get the Mythweaver thing working and post a build ASAP.

Just a thought, though:

Paladin//Ranger 5 / Beastmaster 1/Halfling Outrider 10/Bloodlines 3/something 1

would be a pretty nasty Supermount build in your case.

Question: What deities are there in SoA? Reason for asking is Sorcerer//Cloistered Cleric 5 / Dweomerkeeper 10...

Standard Greyhawk deities. Other deities from different campaign settings may be counted as Lesser deities, or as avatars of their coresponding deity in Greyhawk.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #921 on: September 09, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »
I think if I brought a Dweomerkeeper, Incantatrix or Supermount build to the table, or use the LA +2 Half-Celestial template, Sinfire will shoot me... :D

Mind you, the template would solve all my potential problems (24/7 flight + cold resist).
Sinfire, can I draw your attention to this, and your thoughts on it?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #922 on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
I think if I brought a Dweomerkeeper, Incantatrix or Supermount build to the table, or use the LA +2 Half-Celestial template, Sinfire will shoot me... :D

Mind you, the template would solve all my potential problems (24/7 flight + cold resist).

The LA 2 template doesn't appear in my BoED. Was it in a web enhancement?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #923 on: September 09, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »
Here is the basic outline for my character that I've put up so far. Still need to pick items/flaws, write up my backstory, and find out how many FP I get.

I'llhave to look at it later, as I have class in 15 minutes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #924 on: September 09, 2008, 09:16:28 AM »
SiFi, got a couple more homebrew classes that I'd like your verdict on as possibilities.  First is the Blue Mage, second is the Spellfire Warrior

Blue Mage I'm fine with. I like the class' potential. Spellfire Warrior I'll have to look over.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #925 on: September 09, 2008, 09:16:56 AM »
SiFir, I'm carrying over my character. Do I have to wait until the next level until I can spend my FP ('cause I'll just stick with 2 - it seems safe enough that way), or can I go ahead and use one more (seeing as the game's doing a soft reset of sorts)?

You may use the points now.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #926 on: September 09, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »

Page 27, second paragraph (the one starting "The fourth option..."). I think that is the one usually referred to for this.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #927 on: September 09, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »

Page 27, second paragraph (the one starting "The fourth option..."). I think that is the one usually referred to for this.

Oh, there. So the SLAs would be based on your Racial HD, which are set at 0 unless you take another race to go with it, and you just get the following:

Outsider type
Flight

+1 Nat Armor
Daylight at will, CL equal to Character Level
Smite Evil 1/day
Bless 1/day
Protection from Evil 3/day
Resistance 10 to three energy types
Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4

For a +2 LA, that is a bit strong. Dropping the stats to +2 Dex, +4 Wis, +2 Cha makes it more balanced, and dropping one of the energy types (Acid) would help too. Changing the Flight to Dragonborn-style would be enough to make it a +2 LA, though I'd give you the full Flight at 4 HD instead of 6 HD due to the higher LA. I'll do you a favor and increase the Natural Armor bonus to +3.

So it goes to:
Outsider type
Glide speed ala Dragonborn (flight at 4 HD)
+3 NA
Daylight At Will
Bless 1/day
Resistance to Fire and Cold 10
+2 Dex, +4 Wis, +2 Cha

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #928 on: September 09, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
Note that this was planning for starting which was only on ice.

btw: the universe hates me more than I thought.  My monitor blew.  Yeah.

EDIT: And today, the day I was going to get an external drive to back up my data.  Yeah.

I can sympathize. My laptop crashed out last night. Kaput, won't recognize start-up disk. I gotta go get my system disk, and if that won't boot it, go back to the Apple store. For like the 7th time (I wish I was exaggerating).

The good news is, I can post using my wife's laptop. The other good news is that I've settled on Ranger as the other half of my Cleric Gestalt. Getting free archery feats makes a cleric archer all the better. More room for DMM!

Speaking of DMM, Sinfire, what's the ruling on nightstick stacking for this game? I don't remember seeing it in the thread. Also, how about using alternate forms of Turning/Rebuking to power DMM? (i.e. Elemental turning, ooze domain turning, Warforged domain turning, etc.). My tabletop cleric uses his Earth rebuking/Air turning to power DMM, but he's not allowed to get Nightsticks, so it evens out a bit.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #929 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
Oh, there. So the SLAs would be based on your Racial HD, which are set at 0 unless you take another race to go with it, and you just get the following:

Outsider type
Flight

+1 Nat Armor
Daylight at will, CL equal to Character Level
Smite Evil 1/day
Bless 1/day
Resistance 10 to three energy types
Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4

For a +2 LA, that is a bit strong. Dropping the stats to +2 Dex, +4 Wis, +2 Cha makes it more balanced, and dropping one of the energy types (Acid) would help too. Changing the Flight to Dragonborn-style would be enough to make it a +2 LA, though I'd give you the full Flight at 4 HD instead of 6 HD due to the higher LA. I'll do you a favor and increase the Natural Armor bonus to +3.

So it goes to:
Outsider type
Glide speed ala Dragonborn (flight at 4 HD)
+3 NA
Daylight At Will
Bless 1/day
Resistance to Fire and Cold 10
+2 Dex, +4 Wis, +2 Cha

You missed SR, which will make things wonky again.

Also, I think other stuff is preferred to NAC. To be honest, NAC and SLA are some of the least things I would look at :D

I was being tongue in cheek in bringing up the Half-Celestial. But, if you are actually looking in that direction, Half-Fiend is a better fit (bat-wings as opposed to feathered wings) for this guy:

+4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +2Cha
4 Resist 10
SR 10+
SLAs (no at wills)
Claw, claw, bite (useless for a kobold but meh)
1 NAC
Flight (land speed, average)
LA +4

-----------------------------------

About the Symbiote template... Isn't it applicable to animal, vermin, plant and humanoid only? How did the rime sprite factor in? Sorry, I am just curious.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:38:54 PM by AndyJames »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #930 on: September 09, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
SiFi, got a couple more homebrew classes that I'd like your verdict on as possibilities.  First is the Blue Mage, second is the Spellfire Warrior

Blue Mage I'm fine with. I like the class' potential. Spellfire Warrior I'll have to look over.

Alright.  If I go blue mage, what sources will I be able to use for my starting spell list?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Phaenix

« Reply #931 on: September 10, 2008, 12:38:04 AM »
OK, Ellis Gaszpar is finished (I think). I'm still working on his back story.

Ellis Gaszpar
Male NG Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar Cloistered Cleric//Ranger, Level 3, Init +0, HP 24/24, Speed 30 ft.
AC 15, Touch 10, Flat-footed 15, Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 03   
Masterwork Composite Longbow (100 Arrows) +9 (1d8, x3)
+1 (1d10, 19-10/x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt,   Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 18
Condition None

I have the following questions remaining.

1. If I choose to worship a god (likely Bahamut or Io, if they exist in this setting), can I still select the Silver Moon domain as one of my domains, since I was born on Sailor's Island (or somewhere near there)?

2. I already asked this, but can alternate forms of Turning power DMM? I'm considering the Air domain (Bahamut grants this). I may take the domain anyway, but I get double goodness out of Extra Turning if I can power DM with it.

3. How many FP? I'm guessing 1d3-1, due to the DMM Cleric and cheesy race selection.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #932 on: September 10, 2008, 02:23:16 AM »
Out of curiosity, will parties end up interacting with each other?
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #933 on: September 10, 2008, 03:04:35 AM »
Any idea how many FP I get? Or maybe there's some guide to figuring it out hidden in the thread somewhere. I don't mean to sound anxious, I really am a pretty patient person. :D

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #934 on: September 10, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »
Have we got any idea at this point when the ice game will be starting up... or if it will?

JaronK

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #935 on: September 10, 2008, 05:38:37 AM »
Have we got any idea at this point when the ice game will be starting up... or if it will?

JaronK
As soon as I get my character up and running is my guess...

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #936 on: September 10, 2008, 07:20:05 AM »
Phaenix, a previous PC who did a Lesser Aasimar C. Cleric//SWVRanger got only 1 FP (1d3-2, min 1), if that's any indication. The guidelines were posted, but I'm too lazy to go search for them. But from what I recall... 1d3 for most homebrew and for the average power level. The mods go down to -2 and up to +3 (which is what I got for a Monk//Fighter/Rogue - aka, two shitty classes and a suboptimal class 1 level dip).

I'm also wondering... why Unattentive (-4 spot) for an archer? The flavor? :O

And Nanshork, yes they will. Valua seems to be headed straight to Mid-Ocean, seeing as they may stumble on the Daritus. And IIRC, the Mid-Ocean game was last fighting the Daritus (and losing badly). I'm expecting some captivity to be going on. :O

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #937 on: September 10, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
Phaenix, a previous PC who did a Lesser Aasimar C. Cleric//SWVRanger got only 1 FP (1d3-2, min 1), if that's any indication. The guidelines were posted, but I'm too lazy to go search for them. But from what I recall... 1d3 for most homebrew and for the average power level. The mods go down to -2 and up to +3 (which is what I got for a Monk//Fighter/Rogue - aka, two shitty classes and a suboptimal class 1 level dip).

I'm also wondering... why Unattentive (-4 spot) for an archer? The flavor? :O

And Nanshork, yes they will. Valua seems to be headed straight to Mid-Ocean, seeing as they may stumble on the Daritus. And IIRC, the Mid-Ocean game was last fighting the Daritus (and losing badly). I'm expecting some captivity to be going on. :O

Mid-Ocean will actually meet up with Lands of Ice before Valua. Valua and Yafutoma will be the first to meet, from how things are going. After those two pairings, Nasr and Ixa'taka will be joining once a specific event occurs. While I have a basic skeleton for what way I'd like the campaign to go, it actually is heavily influenced by the descisions made IC. As such, any actual Rail Roading will occur only during the start of the game and whenever someone spends FP (as that is actually asking for a DM Fiat to save your asses).

Quote from: Phaenix
I can sympathize. My laptop crashed out last night. Kaput, won't recognize start-up disk. I gotta go get my system disk, and if that won't boot it, go back to the Apple store. For like the 7th time (I wish I was exaggerating).

The good news is, I can post using my wife's laptop. The other good news is that I've settled on Ranger as the other half of my Cleric Gestalt. Getting free archery feats makes a cleric archer all the better. More room for DMM!

Speaking of DMM, Sinfire, what's the ruling on nightstick stacking for this game? I don't remember seeing it in the thread. Also, how about using alternate forms of Turning/Rebuking to power DMM? (i.e. Elemental turning, ooze domain turning, Warforged domain turning, etc.). My tabletop cleric uses his Earth rebuking/Air turning to power DMM, but he's not allowed to get Nightsticks, so it evens out a bit.

I ruled against them stacking in the Gleemax thread. It never came up here. But I did allow another player to use multiple forms of Turning to fuel Divine feats, including DMM.

You missed SR, which will make things wonky again.

Also, I think other stuff is preferred to NAC. To be honest, NAC and SLA are some of the least things I would look at :D

I was being tongue in cheek in bringing up the Half-Celestial. But, if you are actually looking in that direction, Half-Fiend is a better fit (bat-wings as opposed to feathered wings) for this guy:

+4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +2Cha
4 Resist 10
SR 10+
SLAs (no at wills)
Claw, claw, bite (useless for a kobold but meh)
1 NAC
Flight (land speed, average)
LA +4

-----------------------------------

About the Symbiote template... Isn't it applicable to animal, vermin, plant and humanoid only? How did the rime sprite factor in? Sorry, I am just curious.

Ah, I did overlook that. That does throw a wrench in things. I'm just putting the LA 2 version up there as an idea, not sure if I'll allow it (need to do number-crunching, something I dislike having to do).

I don't have my Savage Species on me at the moment (no room on the Flash Drive for it), so I can't confirm this.

Alright.  If I go blue mage, what sources will I be able to use for my starting spell list?

It will be more of a budget of spell levels than a set list. You'd have the freedom to choose a number of different spells, but you'd have to keep track of the spell levels used up. Any left over can be saved for a while.

OK, Ellis Gaszpar is finished (I think). I'm still working on his back story.

Ellis Gaszpar
Male NG Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar Cloistered Cleric//Ranger, Level 3, Init +0, HP 24/24, Speed 30 ft.
AC 15, Touch 10, Flat-footed 15, Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +8, Base Attack Bonus 03   
Masterwork Composite Longbow (100 Arrows) +9 (1d8, x3)
+1 (1d10, 19-10/x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt,   Buckler (+4 Armor, +1 Shield)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 18
Condition None

I have the following questions remaining.

1. If I choose to worship a god (likely Bahamut or Io, if they exist in this setting), can I still select the Silver Moon domain as one of my domains, since I was born on Sailor's Island (or somewhere near there)?

2. I already asked this, but can alternate forms of Turning power DMM? I'm considering the Air domain (Bahamut grants this). I may take the domain anyway, but I get double goodness out of Extra Turning if I can power DM with it.

3. How many FP? I'm guessing 1d3-1, due to the DMM Cleric and cheesy race selection.

1: Yes. You may always choose a domain from one of the Moons, provided you meet the regional requirements. It doesn't matter what deity you worship.

2: Answered all ready.

3: 1, flat. DMM is incredibly powerful, and the previous person who ran one only got a single FP, something he was aware of. Its more of the power level you choose to play at that determines the FP modifier, and any of the optimized P6 usually get a single FP (Incanatrix, SCM, DMM Cleric, Druid period, Spell-to-Power Erudite, Archivist, and usually the Artificer in general). Some sub-optimal builds of those can get more than that (Gishes, for example, may start with more than optimized Wizards, seeing as Gishes tend to be weaker).

Any idea how many FP I get? Or maybe there's some guide to figuring it out hidden in the thread somewhere. I don't mean to sound anxious, I really am a pretty patient person. :D

I'd tell you, but I can't access the sheet. You didn't make it public.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Phaenix

« Reply #938 on: September 10, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
why Unattentive (-4 spot) for an archer? The flavor? :O

Mostly because there don't seem to be many "good" flaws otherwise. I figured flavor-wise that it's because he's always thinking about his Knowledges and stories, but I suppose Unreactive could have the same justification. With an 11 Dex, I'll be going last anyway. Plus it's easier to get bonuses to spot and/or listen than init. I'm willing to consider other options.

1: Yes. You may always choose a domain from one of the Moons, provided you meet the regional requirements. It doesn't matter what deity you worship.

2: Answered all ready.

3: 1, flat. DMM is incredibly powerful, and the previous person who ran one only got a single FP, something he was aware of. Its more of the power level you choose to play at that determines the FP modifier, and any of the optimized P6 usually get a single FP (Incanatrix, SCM, DMM Cleric, Druid period, Spell-to-Power Erudite, Archivist, and usually the Artificer in general). Some sub-optimal builds of those can get more than that (Gishes, for example, may start with more than optimized Wizards, seeing as Gishes tend to be weaker).

1&2 Thanks, I'll stick with Silver Moon, Air, and Knowledge (devotion) for my domains.

3. 1 is fine. He's pretty optimized. Now I have to decide whether to spend it.

...a previous PC who did a Lesser Aasimar C. Cleric//SWVRanger...

So I'm reprising a role that already existed in the party? huh. BTW, what is SWV ranger? I can't think of that might stand for.

EDIT: Yay Google! Sublime Way Variant. I shall research this.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 02:25:28 PM by Phaenix »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #939 on: September 10, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

JaronK

Andy's character isn't up and running, I'm still trying to figure out just which of two builds to play, and d_s is supposed to be in the group but hasn't said anything in awhile.
Notes to self