Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 199234 times)

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #880 on: September 08, 2008, 01:59:51 AM »
I've had so many build ideas for a while it's difficult to settle, but I'll have one soon, hopefully. I did have one I liked, maybe I'll go back to it...

This is my exact problem. I am open to suggestions from my party-mates. Or anyone at all.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #881 on: September 08, 2008, 02:17:05 AM »
I've had so many build ideas for a while it's difficult to settle, but I'll have one soon, hopefully. I did have one I liked, maybe I'll go back to it...

This is my exact problem. I am open to suggestions from my party-mates. Or anyone at all.
Err... where are you, and what do you want to play?

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #882 on: September 08, 2008, 03:01:55 AM »
Heh. For Mid-Ocean, we've got whatever AFB is (looks to me like a hybrid frontline light swordsage/storm-based spellcaster) and my... surprisingly a non-glass cannon (katana flurry at lv 9 and essentially parry/disarm + huge amounts of non-armor AC). Not quite sure what AFB's char sheet link is, but mine's here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=77837

I think a buffer would be awesome, as well as a primary caster. I enjoy the idea of two Rift Magi casting destructive spells spontaneously, but I think we're in need of a primary arcane or divine spellcaster. AFB might be able to control the battlefield... although I'm not very good at predicting what his build will do. We could also use a skill monkey - 4+Int isn't cutting it for me, even with 17 Int.

Really, I think it would be best to approach it the concept-based way instead of mechanics-based way. But that's just my preference, really.

Phaenix

« Reply #883 on: September 08, 2008, 03:08:33 AM »

Err... where are you, and what do you want to play?

Sorry about that. I'm going to be in Mid-Ocean. I'm currently working on a changeling Feat Rogue//Egoist using both of the substitution levels in Races of Eberron.

I'm still open to suggestions. Our group needs healing, which I can do a bit of with Vigor and Empathic Transfer, and buffing, which we're lacking somewhat. I'm not really interested in Cleric, since I'm playing one in a tabletop game, and Druid is awesome, of course, but I'm not sure I really want to RP one in this particular game. I'm interested in rogue because I've never played a proper skillmonkey, and I probably won't have a chance before my RL group gives up on 3.5.

I'll probably post something on the min/max board for people to look over.

Phaenix

« Reply #884 on: September 08, 2008, 03:13:21 AM »
Sinfire, How do you feel about using Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer to qualify as a "True Beholder" for purposes of entering the Beholder Mage prestige class? The idea is to turn into a Beholder in the morning, cast a few long-lasting buffs, then use the Cannibalize Spell feat to turn remaining spell slots into extra power points. I figure I can qualify with Overchannel in order to enter Beholder Mage at 11th, the Cerebremancer from there.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #885 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:23 AM »
Sorry about that. I'm going to be in Mid-Ocean. I'm currently working on a changeling Feat Rogue//Egoist using both of the substitution levels in Races of Eberron.

I'm still open to suggestions. Our group needs healing, which I can do a bit of with Vigor and Empathic Transfer, and buffing, which we're lacking somewhat. I'm not really interested in Cleric, since I'm playing one in a tabletop game, and Druid is awesome, of course, but I'm not sure I really want to RP one in this particular game. I'm interested in rogue because I've never played a proper skillmonkey, and I probably won't have a chance before my RL group gives up on 3.5.

Psionics is very bad for healing, unfortunately, unless you are willing to spend a lot of points into it. I've tried it once. Not good results.

I would think about Cleric//something. Cleric is still the best healer and status remover out there, other than a Favoured Soul specially built for that purpose.

Phaenix

« Reply #886 on: September 08, 2008, 03:59:56 AM »

Psionics is very bad for healing, unfortunately, unless you are willing to spend a lot of points into it. I've tried it once. Not good results.

I would think about Cleric//something. Cleric is still the best healer and status remover out there, other than a Favoured Soul specially built for that purpose.

I was kinda hoping that VennDygrem would fill this roll (*hint*  :D). I've only played a psi-gish, but he didn't do any healing, as we had a cleric to help us out. I think we might be able to get by with a few wands of vigor, though.

Zefier, you've seen some of what this campaign has to offer, what do you think? Cleric//Rogue is certainly not a bad choice, and I wouldn't complain if I had to play it.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #887 on: September 08, 2008, 04:23:01 AM »
Despite how powerful and useful classes like Cleric and Druid are, I'm always hesitant to choose them since I've got so little experience playing them, or any prepared caster. Maybe I'm worried I won't prepare the right spells, haha.

I've been trying to come up with some sort of buffing character that fits my playstyle, but nothing really comes to mind. My expertise seems to lie in either stealthy, social, or secondary-support characters (as I mentioned, things like Dragon Shaman).

I realize we need a healer, so I'm wondering if there's some way to combine roles, or at least come up with some interestingly alternative way of going about the character. That, or I can just hope we fill that last spot. :D

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #888 on: September 08, 2008, 04:27:24 AM »
How about playing a Tier 1 orgastastic class/PrC combo, and then playing something like a healing focused Favoured Soul (or even, *gasp*, Healer) on the second side?

Like Gnome Healer//Wizard 5 / Shadowcraft Mage x/ other PrC x.

Just a thought :)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #889 on: September 08, 2008, 06:22:03 AM »
Ok, so I think I've got a concept I'm good with.

Building on that last idea, I'm thinking of going with a Beguiler/Cleric, calling it something like Devout/Pious/Divine Infiltrator.

If I could find a deity that benefits the character concept, It'd be a Church Infiltrator. :D
I'll probably be fine devoting myself to a cause or ideal and just picking my domains separately, though.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #890 on: September 08, 2008, 06:22:28 AM »
Gestalt works in that you combine the two classes into one and level in that single class. So if you multiclass outside of your Gestalted classes, you do not get gestalt. It's why I'm a Martial Artist 2//Fighter 2/Rogue 1 right now.

The campaign... well, we had a little taste with an encounter with Loopers, which seemed like a test battle (as they were just insanely easy to kill). They died before they could float on down. As for the following encounter, it was a naval/sky battle where we were double-teamed. The game kind of ground to a halt due to technical issues around there.

Cleric//Rogue isn't a bad choice at all. We can probably get by with secondary healing (AFB and I can both heal, him with bardic healing and myself with UMD), but it's not like it's reliable in battle (my UMD is a piddling +9... I can up it to +11 with a MW Tool, but it's not like I can get any higher without sacrificing some of my build). I can handle healing at lv 6 with my cohort, however, if you don't want to play a Cleric//Rogue. (Also, flanking buddy! :D)

If we can fill every slot other than the healer, I'll make my cohort SuperMedicEngineer.

I would lol if someone did a super-classer, namely someone with something like Ranger//Rogue/Swash 1/Ninja 1/Monk 1/Fighter 1 and the respective dual-progression feats. O__O

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #891 on: September 08, 2008, 06:49:41 AM »
Oh, also, I haven't read anything on this yet. Are we using the DMG's Wealth-by-Level rules? Just checking.

Zefier, if you don't want to play a cleric/rogue, I'm ok doing cleric/beguiler, otherwise I'll come up with another build.

Rufei

• Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #892 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »
Yep. And we start at 4500 XP (well, except for those who participated in fighting Loopers, which was an extra 64 XP).

I've already got Blanche planned out, so I can't play a Cleric//Rogue (I sense that you misunderstood me)... although my cohort can certainly be a cleric of some sort. Only that the cohort will obviously be 2 levels lower than the rest of us (and I don't think I have any plans in the near future to take Improved Cohort)... and we'll only get the healing at level 6 (which is when Leadership kicks in).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #893 on: September 08, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
Sinfire, How do you feel about using Metamorphosis and Metamorphic Transfer to qualify as a "True Beholder" for purposes of entering the Beholder Mage prestige class? The idea is to turn into a Beholder in the morning, cast a few long-lasting buffs, then use the Cannibalize Spell feat to turn remaining spell slots into extra power points. I figure I can qualify with Overchannel in order to enter Beholder Mage at 11th, the Cerebremancer from there.

I don't allow it. Polymorphing is broken as is, and that PrC just makes it worse. That level of optimization is something that needs a steady hand and a willing party, and it just encourages everyone else to up their game another level or three. Too much optimization can be a problem, and I want to avoid encouraging RAI-misuse. The RAI of Beholdermage was for people usin Savage progressions or the full LA of a Beholder to enter; I assure you that 'morphing into one was not meant to be a legitimate method of entry.

Not that I dislike the PrC, I just don't like the flavor of this cheese being on my plate.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #894 on: September 08, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »
How about playing a Tier 1 orgastastic class/PrC combo, and then playing something like a healing focused Favoured Soul (or even, *gasp*, Healer) on the second side?

Like Gnome Healer//Wizard 5 / Shadowcraft Mage 10/ War-Weaver 5.

Just a thought :)

Casts as Healer 19/Wizard 19, buffs and heals as a War-Weaver, and can use Shadow Evocation/Conjuration in a pinch. Shadow Miracles will be met with Inevitables (advanced ones at that). Echoing Shadow Miracles will be met with outright planar collapse.

Are there any questions I missed?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Phaenix

« Reply #895 on: September 08, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
I don't allow it. Polymorphing is broken as is, and that PrC just makes it worse. That level of optimization is something that needs a steady hand and a willing party, and it just encourages everyone else to up their game another level or three. Too much optimization can be a problem, and I want to avoid encouraging RAI-misuse. The RAI of Beholdermage was for people usin Savage progressions or the full LA of a Beholder to enter; I assure you that 'morphing into one was not meant to be a legitimate method of entry.

Not that I dislike the PrC, I just don't like the flavor of this cheese being on my plate.

OK by me. It looks like Psionics isn't really going to work out anyway. I just dislike vancian spellcasting so intensely. But I'll step up to the plate! Fear not, party-mates! I will cover the healing role. Either as Druid, or Cleric. It shall be done! Venn, you are free to make what you like! Too many exclamation points!

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #896 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:41 PM »
If you're going with the healer role, I won't stop you. If you still want to do something else, I've got the Beguiler/Cleric on the backburner, but now I'm free to synergize a bit more. :)

Phaenix

« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »
If you're going with the healer role, I won't stop you. If you still want to do something else, I've got the Beguiler/Cleric on the backburner, but now I'm free to synergize a bit more. :)

As I mentioned a page or two back, I play a cleric in a tabletop game, so I'm somewhat familiar with their spell list. Plus DMM is always fun. So I'm happy to play one.

Now... Rogue? Factotum? Swordsage? Crusader? An incarnum class? something else? The mind boggles.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #898 on: September 08, 2008, 02:45:42 PM »

As I mentioned a page or two back, I play a cleric in a tabletop game, so I'm somewhat familiar with their spell list. Plus DMM is always fun. So I'm happy to play one.

Now... Rogue? Factotum? Swordsage? Crusader? An incarnum class? something else? The mind boggles.

A Cleric/Swordsage would probably kick all sorts of butt. The only issue is if you want +Wis to AC, you won't be using a shield or heavy armor, but I'm sure it'll be comparable choosing one side of the coin or another. You can always switch around. :)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
Hmmm, SiFi, what do you think of Stratovarius' Chronomancer found here?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self