Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 199210 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #860 on: September 07, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
Yes you are. You are overlooking that Druid/Wizard isn't a Gestalt character, but a class made specifically for this campaign. I said in the OP that we are using the Gestalt rules as the basis for making a class, and in doing so I made casters obscene by mistake.

So when Mystic Theurge goes to apply the +1 Arcane and +1 Divine, it sees that they are both the same class. Because of this, double-casters who take levels in a single advancement class (like a Wizard/Beguiler going into Unseen Seer) would apply the +1 Arcane to a single base class that just happens to be two casting classes mixed together. In effect, such a character would have inadvertently made Unseen Seer into a Dual Arcane advancement class, as he is applying the benefits of its arcane advancement to only one class, instead of to only one half of his Gestalt. Thus, PrCs like Mystic Theurge apply their benefits to the same class instead of two different ones. So a Druid//Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 2 would cast as a 7th level Druid and a 7th level Wizard, rather than 5th level of both.

And I can't force it to apply to just one side of the gestalt, as spellcasting is a single class feature (despite the differences between the two types of spellcasting, they are still a single class feature). Thus I am against allowing a dual-caster class to advance a Dual caster character unless the second spellcasting class isn't a part of the Gestalt class.

I have no problem with allowing the classes, I have a problem letting Wiz//Druid enter Mystic Theurge without another Divine or Arcane casting class to advance. I've got no problem with someone going Wizard//Druid 3/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10 and getting three different types of abilities on one character, or with someone playing a Wizard 3//Psion 3/Ur-Priest 2/Psychic Theurge 10 and being a triple-threat.

Oh, and no Incarnate Construct tricks, please. Its as broken as Anthro-Bat, so I can't allow the tricks to happen seeing as I've banned Bat all ready.
Ah, I see, I see.

Does that mean if I go Warmage//Sorcerer, I get to cast spells in light armour without problems?

Yes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #861 on: September 07, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
Alright, so we've got arcane, skills-monkey, BC, and healing.  D_S will be going binder.  Could still use some divine casting, which I could do if no one else does.

Oh, and Sinfire, I had just figured out what you were talking about with gestalt.  Never played it before and I was looking at my Frozen Brawler build for example and though "Hey, I don't need those PrC levels if I'm monk//barbarian", so I'm re-working some things, heh.

Oh, and I'll be using the dragon mag chaos monk found on crystalkeep.

Got it. That version looks fun.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #862 on: September 07, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
I'd also like to point out that I play a character named Nasr in a tabletop Exalted game. Is that name from the video game, or did you make it up?
Nasr is the name of the country under the Red Moon from the video game. :D

Cool. I think I got the name from an Arabian name generator.

It looks like the Mid-Ocean game has a couple melee combatants, at least until AFB gains a few levels, so I'm looking into being a caster and/or manifester. In regards to that, Sinfire, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. For the Erudite, are the unique powers per day per level, or total? Relevant text suggests it's per level, I just wanted to confirm.

Quote from: CompletePsi p.153
"an erudite is limited to manifesting a certain number of unique psionic powers of each level per day"

2. Would you allow the Psiotheurgist and/or Cannibalize Spell feats from Dragon #349? Psiotheurgist is the one that allows you to sum your CL and ML for one School of Magic and one Discipline of powers. Cannibalize spells allows you to convert spell slots into PP. If you need full text, I can PM you or post 'em here.

Thanks!

1: The Eruite's unique powers are per day,not per power level. There aren't that many powers for 7th and up, so trying to get that many on one character is a bit tough, plus it makes Spell-to-Power that much more broken.

2: Yes to Cannibalize Spell, no to Psiotheurgist if you play a caster//manifester instead of X//manifester/caster.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #863 on: September 07, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
This definitely seems like it could be fun. I'll have to keep an eye on these games so I can try to understand how PbP games are played, as well as to see the progress. Hopefully some day I can join in on one. :)

In the mean-time, it's fun generating character builds using the parameters for this game. \o/

LoI and Nasr can use one more. Mid-Ocean is at 5 so they are set.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #864 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:53 PM »
I'm in Lands of Ice. Just trying to get a build done. I have to get my head wrapped around certain things first.

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #865 on: September 07, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
We're at 5? I could've sworn we were at 4 (if VennDygrem is up for Mid-Ocean). As for my Martial Artist 10//Fighter 10/Rogue 1/Rift Magus 9, the mechanics are up (changes include a 35 base land speed and a +1 dodge bonus to AC as well as a few feat fixes). As for the backstory, it's still being worked on, but it won't be as contrived as the previous one.

Hopefully.

And yes, we're short a healer/buffer and generally any full casting, unless if you count the few destructive spells the Rift Magus earns full casting. Can anyone become/summon a reliable flanking buddy? Or do I have to make my cohort battle-worthy? (Also, is everyone fine with Leadership?)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #866 on: September 07, 2008, 06:27:50 PM »
Is there a current listing of how many people are in each game? As Zefier said, I was told Mid-Ocean was open, but if they're set and another game is open, I'm ok with switching.

I'm currently still considering options, but if the group I'm playing with is changing, I need to know ASAP so I can go with the right build.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #867 on: September 07, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
I'm in Lands of Ice. Just trying to get a build done. I have to get my head wrapped around certain things first.

Have you figured out what your gestalted class is going to be/ what your character is going for?  I'm waiting to see what you and d_s are doing build wise so I can pick up the slack if there is any or just do whatever otherwise.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #868 on: September 07, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
Oh, SiFi, what is your personal stance on symbionts?
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #869 on: September 07, 2008, 08:35:40 PM »
Have you figured out what your gestalted class is going to be/ what your character is going for?  I'm waiting to see what you and d_s are doing build wise so I can pick up the slack if there is any or just do whatever otherwise.
I am thinking multipurpose caster of some sort.

Probably something along the lines of:

Either Phrenic or Feral Draconic
Loredrake Jungle Kobold
Sorcerer//Druid 3 / some caster 1/MT4/AH10/MT+2 (Power Build)
or
Sorcerer//Druid 5 / Dragonheart Mage 10/some caster 5 (Fun Build)

Flaws:
Noncombatant (-2 melee attack), Murky Eyed (double miss chance)
Feats:
Draconic Heritage (Sorcerer 1 sub level)
Dragonwrought (Flaw)

If Power Build:
Versatile Spellcaster (Flaw)
Heighten Spell (Level 1)
Draconic Reservoir (Level 3) (assuming the caster 1 gives Know Religion as class skill)

If Fun Build:
Draconic Body (Flaw) (the one that gives +2 hp per draconic feat)
Draconic Resistance (Level 1)
Draconic Reservoir (Level 3)
Draconic Breath (Level 1 DHMage bonus)
Draconic Legacy (Level 6)
Draconic Power (Level 9)

Choices, choices, and that is assuming I got things right in terms of capable builds...

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #870 on: September 07, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »

I'm fine with them, but any LA they have due to templates applies to your ECL.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #871 on: September 07, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
I am thinking multipurpose caster of some sort.

So you're taking care of primary arcane and divine?  Got it.

I'm fine with them, but any LA they have due to templates applies to your ECL.

I was actually asking because I'm considering a Dalkyr 1/2 blood, maybe with some Impure Prince thrown in later on.
Notes to self

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #872 on: September 07, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »

I was actually asking because I'm considering a Dalkyr 1/2 blood, maybe with some Impure Prince thrown in later on.
Just remember that I am still one guy, which means I have limited actions. I also don't go into the whole Arcane Surge nova nonsense. It would be a rare thing for me to even cast two spells per round.

I think SinF was thinking about the Symbiote template in Savage Species, not the Delkyr stuff, which is something else.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #873 on: September 07, 2008, 10:26:09 PM »

Just remember that I am still one guy, which means I have limited actions. I also don't go into the whole Arcane Surge nova nonsense. It would be a rare thing for me to even cast two spells per round.

I think SinF was thinking about the Symbiote template in Savage Species, not the Delkyr stuff, which is something else.

There's a lot more symbiotes than that, but I figured which is why I specified.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #874 on: September 07, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »
I think LoI was the one with 5, judging by an earlier post.

Before I signed on, someone said Mid-Ocean needed two, so that's where the idea came in that I should fill in the spot there.

Anyway, as of right now I'm wondering if Artificer might be a good class to start with, so as to get some buffing in, though I'm not sure how useful the other class features will be in a PbP game (I just don't know, really). Then, I need to figure out what to combine with it.

I was thinking maybe going Meleeficer (Artificer/Swordsage-or-swashbuckler-or-other-melee-class), but even something like a Beguiler/Artificer would be cool (run around invisible buffing allies, debuffing enemies would be effective).

Any thoughts?
---Edit---
It may be better to find a different approach. I've had so many build ideas for a while it's difficult to settle, but I'll have one soon, hopefully. I did have one I liked, maybe I'll go back to it...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:06:47 AM by VennDygrem »

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #875 on: September 08, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »
Heh. Well, we're at 3, 4 if you're included. Almost done with a backstory... then I can spit the thing out into the public.

Venn, I think your ideas are solid. Our party would definitely benefit from a buffer/debuffer or anchor.

Any ideas for a seige engineer, anyone? Or rather, what progressions and abilities seem absolutely necessary for a seige engineer/engineer/smith? I've given Artificer a lot of thought, but I don't know much about actually operating one. As with the wizard, if the PC doesn't know how to use the class, it becomes subpar.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #876 on: September 08, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »
Heh. Well, we're at 3, 4 if you're included. Almost done with a backstory... then I can spit the thing out into the public.

Venn, I think your ideas are solid. Our party would definitely benefit from a buffer/debuffer or anchor.

Any ideas for a seige engineer, anyone? Or rather, what progressions and abilities seem absolutely necessary for a seige engineer/engineer/smith? I've given Artificer a lot of thought, but I don't know much about actually operating one. As with the wizard, if the PC doesn't know how to use the class, it becomes subpar.

Duskblade+Seige-Engine+Variant of Arcane Strike=Arcane Channeled cannons.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #877 on: September 08, 2008, 01:46:01 AM »
Sinfire, any problems with my above build stubs and background skeleton?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #878 on: September 08, 2008, 01:48:55 AM »
Sinfire, any problems with my above build stubs and background skeleton?

Not really.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #879 on: September 08, 2008, 01:55:47 AM »
Any preferrences in terms of power? My first choice is the Fun Build, but if that is going to be the Fighter in a party of CoDzillas, then I'll change it.