Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198804 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #760 on: September 03, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »

Here's how I see it. They do get the feat when the class says they are supposed to, but they gain no benefit from it until they try crafting an item. At that point, when they start crafting the item in question, the game checks to see if you meet the requirements. At that point your CL is equal to your Artificer level+2, which allows you to qualify for Brew Potion and gain the benefit of the feat. The game sees this, and allows you to continue the crafting (provided the other requirements are met). However, if you try to take a feat with Brew Potion as the requirement and do not have a CL of 3rd or better, you cannot take that feat as you do not have Brew Potion (despite it being a bonus feat from your class, you can't use it or technically have it as long as your CL is lower than 3rd).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #761 on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »
A few questions to try and get me more info so I can write my backstory:

Are half-elves more common in any of the lands?

Ixa'taka, Nasr, and Yafutoma all have their half-elf breeds (Yafutoma has half-aquatic elves).

Where is the Diamond Mind discipline mostly practiced? I'm assuming Yafutoma.

And Nasr, surprisingly enough. Rift Magi are in good stick, and those two are closest to the Dark Rift (which means a lot of the Magi can be found there).

I plan on using a Bastard Sword for my Diamond Mind maneuvers, but in ToB it mentions them as Bastard Sword (Katana). Do I have to be weeaboo and use a katana?

Either or, whichever fits better. They put those in parenthesis because they are the same weapon.

Is it okay if I write in the being lost in the Dark Rift for a week prerequisite for the Rift Magi into my backstory (if it makes sense of course). I understand if you would rather it happen in the campaign.

Yes. Had this have been the original Valua game, rather than Mid-Ocean, I would have made you wait to include it (as they stopped mid-way through the Rift itself).

Are you still on planning on Mid-Ocean restarting from the battle with the Darius? How will you be explaining the new characters? How should we integrate them and such?

I'll have the Daritus win that fight, and take the previous players captive. This was my plan B for that situation.

I'm ready, although the new build (basically, a replacement of Monk with Martial Artist) is still being worked on. I can finish that up tonight though. As for the other two PCs that were active, the SWVRanger//Cleric isn't returning and the other one doesn't seem to have much interest either. So right now it's AFB's super-half-elf and my glass cannon.

That means we're short of any spellcasting (other than what I can manage with very suboptimal UMD - I've never optimized any UMD usage nor do I know any useful tricks regarding its use) until level 11 (and that's with the meager spellcasting the Rift Magi get) or until someone picks up a moon magic feat. And I'll be covering most ship-related functions with my Cohort-to-be (at lv 6, obviously), so it's still a while before that even happens (not to mention it's going to be built as a dedicated sailor, not an optimized mage of any sort).

The loss of players also means that we're in debt when it comes to actually purchasing the Pinnace. I dumped nearly all my starting gold on it, but that was only 1/3 of its cost.

So um, I'm not sure if we're set. D:

EDIT: Just looked at AFB's build again... scratch that, we have spellcasting. The party... /could/ operate, but it would be nearly impossible to find a ship that operates with only a 2 man crew.

Well, Valua's 5th admiral is famous for making steam-powered ships. His life boat for his flagship is actually a glider (for those who have seen it, Read or Die's OVA-style steam-powered glider), so it is possible to traverse the skies solo without magic. Go ahead and refund the Pinnace, I'll include your portions of the ship in the treasure for the Daritus when you escape.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #762 on: September 03, 2008, 11:59:36 AM »
Here's how I see it. They do get the feat when the class says they are supposed to, but they gain no benefit from it until they try crafting an item. At that point, when they start crafting the item in question, the game checks to see if you meet the requirements. At that point your CL is equal to your Artificer level+2, which allows you to qualify for Brew Potion and gain the benefit of the feat. The game sees this, and allows you to continue the crafting (provided the other requirements are met). However, if you try to take a feat with Brew Potion as the requirement and do not have a CL of 3rd or better, you cannot take that feat as you do not have Brew Potion (despite it being a bonus feat from your class, you can't use it or technically have it as long as your CL is lower than 3rd).
I asked because Extra Rings, on the class bonus feat list, requires a caster level of 12 and Forge Ring, but says nowhere that they ignore the prerequisites for the feats. Also, since Extra Rings doesn't use item creation, by your above ruling, the Artificer won't actually ever qualify for it (also, the Artificer wouldn't meet the "Forge Ring" requirement with your above decision). *Curses the Artificer for being confusing.*
Also, Wand Mastery, on the bonus feat list, requires a caster level of 9.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:01:49 PM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #763 on: September 03, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »
I asked because Extra Rings, on the class bonus feat list, requires a caster level of 12 and Forge Ring, but says nowhere that they ignore the prerequisites for the feats. Also, since Extra Rings doesn't use item creation, by your above ruling, the Artificer won't actually ever qualify for it (also, the Artificer wouldn't meet the "Forge Ring" requirement with your above decision). *Curses the Artificer for being confusing.*
Also, Wand Mastery, on the bonus feat list, requires a caster level of 9.

I'll rule that they can count their Infusion CL as CL for the purposes of class bonus feats.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #764 on: September 03, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
Hey you guys, so Uber tells me you need players?

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #765 on: September 03, 2008, 09:00:42 PM »
Yes we do. Have been waiting all summer for Nasr to start. (Thats the desert game)
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #766 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »
Hey you guys, so Uber tells me you need players?

Hehehe, pick a desert; Ice or Fire.

Or you can join in with Mid-Ocean.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AlienFromBeyond

« Reply #767 on: September 03, 2008, 10:58:10 PM »
I'll have the Daritus win that fight, and take the previous players captive. This was my plan B for that situation.
So the new characters will be other captives that the old ones meet?

Rufei

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Pyun pyun~!
« Reply #768 on: September 04, 2008, 12:21:27 AM »
Fair enough. Does that mean that I'm refunding as starting gold (where I can buy extra goodies) or as gold/treasure that will appear when we escape? Additionally, I'm changing up some of the backstory seeing as my backstory used to be tied in with other PCs (that no longer exist). If AFB needs to break a certain writer's block, well, you can try and bounce some ideas off of me and see if any stick. (FYI I'm keeping the part of the backstory that gets me the Rift Magus prerequisite the same.)

Flurrying with a katana using dex will be fun. And join Mid-Ocean, 'cause we don't start in a desert. (I also need a flanking partner.) :O

Avoraciopoctules

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #769 on: September 04, 2008, 03:26:05 AM »
I searched the thread for Nasr and did a headcount. By going back to july 9th I found Nox_Noxctis, Sixthdeclension, Avoraciopoctules, AlisAtAn (me). Avora (thats a plant, right?  :P) last posted about Nasr july 9th.

If everyone are still interested we are good to go.  :D

I've been pretty busy lately, but I'm still here.
Kharlat, elan beguiler for the Nasr game.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #770 on: September 04, 2008, 09:21:51 AM »
Excellent. I think we might be one short though. Sixth was DM`ing Rituals in Winterhaven before it crashed, and as tradition goes those who DM failed campaigns usually disappear... Personally I hope he`s still around though. ;)

Also Avora, only beguiler? This is a gestalt game... Take advantage.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:08:42 AM by AlisAtAn »
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

syntax_error

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Let loose the hounds of RAW
« Reply #771 on: September 04, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »
Hi everyone!

Got linked to this from Ubernoob/Archerpwr's bodily function, err, thread on 339, and it looks terribly interesting. If you've got the space, I'd love to join.

syntax_error (tblade2001 on 339)

P.S. If I can join, I'd like to be in either middle-ocean or Nasr. (I spent 6 months in an ice campaign, I want a change lol)
P.P.S Because 30 odd pages is a pain to read through, and I have uni, so could someone spell out what characters are in the various games, so I (and others) can find things to mesh well.
P.P.P.S Are the character creation standards as listed on the front page, or has the ECL increased slightly?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #772 on: September 04, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
So the new characters will be other captives that the old ones meet?

More or less. It really depends on their background. Some may even be crew members of the Daritus, if they choose to be.

Fair enough. Does that mean that I'm refunding as starting gold (where I can buy extra goodies) or as gold/treasure that will appear when we escape? Additionally, I'm changing up some of the backstory seeing as my backstory used to be tied in with other PCs (that no longer exist). If AFB needs to break a certain writer's block, well, you can try and bounce some ideas off of me and see if any stick. (FYI I'm keeping the part of the backstory that gets me the Rift Magus prerequisite the same.)

Flurrying with a katana using dex will be fun. And join Mid-Ocean, 'cause we don't start in a desert. (I also need a flanking partner.) :O

It will appear when you escape, but can be spent once you reach Dangral Island (a Valuan outpost in Mid-Ocean, they double as a refueling depot).

Excellent. I think we might be one short though. Sixth was DM`ing Rituals in Winterhaven before it crashed, and as tradition goes those who DM failed campaigns usually disappear... Personally I hope he`s still around though. ;)

His other half is a Rogue. Good combo, even though the skills somewhat overlap.

Hi everyone!

Got linked to this from Ubernoob/Archerpwr's bodily function, err, thread on 339, and it looks terribly interesting. If you've got the space, I'd love to join.

syntax_error (tblade2001 on 339)

P.S. If I can join, I'd like to be in either middle-ocean or Nasr. (I spent 6 months in an ice campaign, I want a change lol)
P.P.S Because 30 odd pages is a pain to read through, and I have uni, so could someone spell out what characters are in the various games, so I (and others) can find things to mesh well.
P.P.P.S Are the character creation standards as listed on the front page, or has the ECL increased slightly?

There is a thread in the sub-forum that has a list of the other game's Character Sheets. Nasr currently stands at one Rogue/Beguiler, a Dread Necromancer/Dragon Shaman, and two others (both of whom haven't linked their sheets in the sub-forum thread).

Now that I know all four of them are still in, Nasr can actually get off the ground (well, they'll be digging in the sand, so that really isn't the right metaphore). You can join them if you would like.

And the ECL hasn't changed yet. If one group levels, it doesn't affect the other parties until all of the six games meet up. Thus why Elrock started with more XP than the other Ixa'taka players (he had been playing longer), and this same thing will happen to Mid-Ocean. Lands of Ice never got through an encounter before Gleemax started dying on us, so they are still at the same point newer characters will be at.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Avoraciopoctules

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #773 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »

Heh, it looks like I'd forgotten some of the details. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=63316 is the link to my character sheet, and as Sinfire Titan said, the other half is rogue.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #774 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:53 PM »
I is here. ;)
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #775 on: September 04, 2008, 01:24:35 PM »

There is a thread in the sub-forum that has a list of the other game's Character Sheets. Nasr currently stands at one Rogue/Beguiler, a Dread Necromancer/Dragon Shaman, and two others (both of whom haven't linked their sheets in the sub-forum thread).

Ooops.

Now that I know all four of them are still in, Nasr can actually get off the ground (well, they'll be digging in the sand, so that really isn't the right metaphore). You can join them if you would like.

Yeah. Join us.  :D  :D

Soo we have one trickster\skillmonkey, one... summoner\buffer? My melee nightmare\summoner\anything else we need, and one unknown. Finally we start.  :clap

Oooo the sixthty. Where were you? And whats your char?

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #776 on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
School just started up for me and Im trying to readjust to not having all the freetime. And Im the  Necro/Shaman.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #777 on: September 04, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
So I'm thinking I'm probably going to join the Desert of Ice campaign. When I get a better look what the party is composed of I'll begin making a character.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #778 on: September 04, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »
I too would like to join the Desert of Ice campaign.  What are the two characters that are already in the party?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #779 on: September 04, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »
I too would like to join the Desert of Ice campaign.  What are the two characters that are already in the party?

My first convert to a brilliantgameite. :)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.