Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 199173 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #260 on: June 25, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
Is there a knowledge skill for Military Tactics(or War in general) or do I just roleplay my intelligence score?
And what kind of Fate Points am I looking at with Factotum/Warmage?

Heroes of Battle says that a DC 20 Knowledge(History) tells bits of information about tactics that worked sometime in the history...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #261 on: June 25, 2008, 08:32:55 PM »
I call for your help guys.

I'm going with this for now:

LN Azurin Moon Magus (green)//Incarnate 3

Flaws: Innatentive, Vulnerable
H: Bonus Essentia
F: Split Chakra (the one on the armor slot)
F: Improved Initiative
1: Law Devotion
3: Knowledge Devotion

I didn't put Power Attack there because I have the Bite of X spells to give me that (but it will take a while until I see them). Should I swap Knowledge Devotion for Power Attack? And since it's my first time with Incarnum, any tips on the soulmelds to pick? Incarnate Avatar for sure, but what about the others?

@Sinfire: how different is your Soulborn fix?

2 things: from the rumors I've heard, Sinfire allows retraining, so Power Attack might be worth the feat slot at low levels.
The other is that IIRC, Bonus Essentia has a character level requirement of 6(?)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »
Your Telepathy is limited to members of the network, right? If so, it doesn't allow you to see creatures outside of the network (still a great way to keep track of party members though).

No problemo.  It was just a thought experiment with the RAW.  :)  I'm totally fine with this ruling.

Note about your Character: The saves are too high. You should have +3, not +4, as you base Fort and Will saves. We had a 40 post debate about this on the Gleemax thread, I'd like to avoid that one here.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: June 25, 2008, 08:44:46 PM »
I call for your help guys.

I'm going with this for now:

LN Azurin Moon Magus (green)//Incarnate 3

H: Bonus Essentia
F: Split Chakra (the one on the armor slot)
F: Improved Initiative
1: Law Devotion
3: Knowledge Devotion

I didn't put Power Attack there because I have the Bite of X spells to give me that (but it will take a while until I see them). Should I swap Knowledge Devotion for Power Attack? And since it's my first time with Incarnum, any tips on the soulmelds to pick? Incarnate Avatar for sure, but what about the others?

@Sinfire: how different is your Soulborn fix?

Bonus Essentia requires a CL of 6th, and Split Chakra requires you to be able to bind Soulmelds to the Chakra you select (so you can't take Split Chakra for your Soul Chakra until 21st, and the Soul Chakra is the one related to Armor). My Soulborn fix boosts their Essentia to 16, their Meldshaper level to Class Level-3 (min 1), and changes the Incarnum Defense to be a bonus to saving throws that you can invest Essentia to as though it were a Soulmeld to improve it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: June 25, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
Is there a knowledge skill for Military Tactics(or War in general) or do I just roleplay my intelligence score?
And what kind of Fate Points am I looking at with Factotum/Warmage?

Yes, Knowledge (History) or Sense Motive, one for strategies and the other for mid-combat tactics. FP for the Factotum/Warmage is 1d3, no mods. Though the modified spell list puts you about equal to a well-made Sorcerer.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:35 PM »
Bonus Essentia requires a CL of 6th, and Split Chakra requires you to be able to bind Soulmelds to the Chakra you select (so you can't take Split Chakra for your Soul Chakra until 21st, and the Soul Chakra is the one related to Armor). My Soulborn fix boosts their Essentia to 16, their Meldshaper level to Class Level-3 (min 1), and changes the Incarnum Defense to be a bonus to saving throws that you can invest Essentia to as though it were a Soulmeld to improve it.

So, basically.... this build is crap  :-\

I will post another soon (leaving college right now)

Oh yeah..... can I be a Ixa'taka guy and be imported to another? I am growing more and more interested in the military one....

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #266 on: June 25, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »
Daz Reefcrush is ready for your perview, Sinfire. She's locked and loaded for the Valua campaign as a gunner in the armada. How many fate points should she have?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #267 on: June 25, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »
Note about your Character: The saves are too high. You should have +3, not +4, as you base Fort and Will saves. We had a 40 post debate about this on the Gleemax thread, I'd like to avoid that one here.

Whoops!  :blush  That was just my looking at the wrong line.  Fixed in the new and improved Ardent version!

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #268 on: June 26, 2008, 12:39:47 AM »
It took guts to roll it, but I got average anyway: Fate Points (1d3=2)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: June 26, 2008, 02:13:50 AM »
Alright here's my second attempt....

LN Azurin Incarnate//Moon Magus (Green) 3
H: Power Attack
F: Battle Jump (reflavored)
F: Leap of the Heavens
1: Improved Initiative
3: Improved Bull Rush

Aiming to a jumping build....
Questions:
-should I go for Shock Trooper/Leap Attack ASAP?
-soulmelds? Thinking about Bloodwar Gauntlets, Acrobat Boots and Crystal Helm to start....

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: June 26, 2008, 02:25:08 AM »
here goes nothing, hope my bad past results on Invisible Castle don't influence my next FP roll...

Feature Points Roll (1d3-1=1)  > I was lucky to get away with at least 1 FP  :D

Can I submit my character for Yafutoma?

'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2008, 02:46:00 AM »
Since I have 1LA, does that mean I start with lower wealth by level of 2 or the normal lvl3 wealth? and what about XP?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59:44 AM »
Since I have 1LA, does that mean I start with lower wealth by level of 2 or the normal lvl3 wealth? and what about XP?
As I always understood it, the LA means that you are still a third level character, that means that wealth and XP do not change from average.

@ Sinfire: I noticed that Psicrystals counted your levels in "Psionic manifesting classes" so can I get a double advancing Psicrystal if I gestalt Psion and Wilder? Also at several points "your level" is mentioned in the same entry, would I use character level or combined class level? If the answer to both of the above is yes...I'm going to have a really fun Psicrystal. I'm also not quite clear on the varient rules for Familiers, ect. in this game, they get feats and skillpoints like a normal person, right? But Familiers and Psicrystals wouldn't use the Elite Array as I read it. Is that correct?

Avoraciopoctules

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:19 AM »
I would like to express an interest in joining the Nasr game. I was thinking of playing a rogue/beguiler elan up to 11th, then retraining for maneuvers and going into rift magus.

Tentative Backstory
[spoiler]
Not all Black Pirates travel the skies. There are a few marauders that prey upon dwellers on land. A few of these bands live in the desert around Nasr. Through a combination of robbing travelers and raiding lightly defended settlements, they live profitable, if short lives. Kharlat was one such (born into the profession, in fact), but his interest in the academic set him apart. When others spent their loot on frivolities and hedonism, Kharlat bought musty books and antique knicknacks. He took a deep interest in obscure arcane trivia and rumors (the beginning of his knowledge of magic), but not so much in actual history. As he saw it, he'd probably be dead of old age or violence long before he had any opportunity to make a difference in the world. He happily shared his discoveries with any who asked, and with some who didn't, earning a reputation as a sort of "bard".

Though some seedy towns and vendors catered to ne'erdowells with gold to spend, Kharlat's interests became more and more difficult to find through  "conventional" channels. He began to cultivate a separate persona ("Omar") as a self-styled traveling sage in order to have a vector into civilization even as he continued to ply the trade of skulduggery with his compatriots during most of the rest of his time. (Kharlat's desert attire concealed his appearance, so he was reasonably confident that travelers would have trouble recognizing him even if they had met "Omar earlier") However. he began to develop a strong interest in magic. Magic seemed a very wondrous thing, both causing and solving problems at a level which seemed to transcend mundane effort.

At the age of 22, Kharlat resolved to acquire a formal education. "Omar" set out for Nasrad with the money he had saved over his criminal career. He parted with the Black Pirate band on reasonably good terms, promising to come back someday with useful knowledge and possibly treasure. Kharlat managed to get accepted into a university, and he worked odd jobs (plus a bit of surreptitious theft to keep his hand in) to help insure that his savings lasted. One of his few extravagances was a membership in a local private library, and he spent much of his spare time poring over books and learning spells to supplement his roguish skills.

After eight years, Kharlat was satisfied with his knowledge, and he began to make good on his promise to the Black Pirates. He became a treasure hunter, seeking after antiquities in the ruins located within the deep desert, appraising them, and then selling them to museums, private collectors, or to vendors in the black market. His marauder band of origin got a hefty chunk of whatever he made, and he helped them out with occasional raids, though he had developed a distaste for needless violence.

Kharlat's most recent expedition was to an old shrine near where the Red Gigas was unearthed 500 years ago. He had uncovered writings telling about a powerful ritual that could be performed to enhance an individual, granting them potent psionic abilities. He followed through on these, discovering what seemed to be a set of well preserved records detailing the process. Deciding that caution was for older men, he decided to perform the ritual upon himself. He carved runes of power into his flesh and sacrificed parts of his mind, personal power, and ego to power the magic. The ritual was a success.

However, Kharlat was horrified to realize that his blessings gained seemed more unto a curse. In a surge of understanding, he realized that the ritual had stopped his biological clock, infusing him with energy that had halted his aging. Further, his body would draw upon and continually renew the energy, removing his need to eat and drink. In Kharlat's eyes, this immortality is a terrible thing, since it means that his philosophy of enjoying life as much one can so as not to waste it is rendered redundant. Now that he's a part of the world forever, he is obligated to make it a better place. Things that will cause trouble for future generations are now his concern.

The trauma of both realizing the consequences of his state as an elan and losing a significant amount of his memory has greatly shaken Kharlat. He now seeks to find a greater purpose for his life and has resolved to become a more ethical person. Time will tell whether he keeps these vows to himself.
[/spoiler]

Link to character sheet (currently unfinished)
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=63316

I'm probably going to modify feats at the very least.

A few questions:

1. What sort of statistics would small arms such as Gilder's pistol have? Would I need to spend a feat for proficiency in such?

2. What do you think of this knowledge-based advantage system? http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paBcfg1YaEccDMQACfu.html

3. Would you be willing to let me spend a feat in order to use my remaining power point to forego sleep? I'd still have to recover spells normally, of course, but I really like the idea of a living being as tireless as a warforged.

4. Could I take eclectic learning as a substitute for advanced learning for my beguiler levels?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:09:45 AM by Avoraciopoctules »

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2008, 03:22:09 AM »

Yo Sin,

Under Magic-Psionic transparency does having psionic powers count as spellcasting? Especially to qualify for moon feats.

Another matter, the Eberron Campaign Setting have the Empty Vessels on pg. 290.  Their LA +1 but reverse enginering their suggested stats is wonky. Something like -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, +2+ Wis, 4 Cha. I might be doing it wrong - but they talk about racial mods. aren't specified.

If the stats are readjusted to make sense, something like -2 Str, + Int, +2 Wis - would that seem like a good LA +1 race.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2008, 05:24:52 AM »
@ Sinfire: I noticed that Psicrystals counted your levels in "Psionic manifesting classes" so can I get a double advancing Psicrystal if I gestalt Psion and Wilder? Also at several points "your level" is mentioned in the same entry, would I use character level or combined class level?
No. In normal gestalt just as with Sinfire's houserule you get the faster progression, so your Psicrystal gets the normal abilities for a Psion of your level. (I'm answering this one because I'm pretty sure he addressed a similar question in the thread on WotC.)

@Straw_Man: the Empty Vessels don't have stat modifiers. (None is present in the E.V. as characters entry, and the stats presented under Inspired are explained by the Elite array+Tsucora possession.) They get abilities from both humans and kalashtar - they're a decent LA +1 but probably not the level of power you're looking for.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:38:13 AM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2008, 05:25:22 AM »
Straw_Man: The empty vessel mentionedon p 290 actually has the 'elite array' of 15,14,13,12,10,8 suggested in the DMG.  Basically NPCs without straight 10s and 11s. The race itself doesn't have any stat mods.  For +1 LA you get everything humans get plus power points and racial bonuses.

Edit: What Omen said... :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:28:38 AM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:17 AM »
I'm thinking of making aminor edit to Gargel. I'd like to take a second flaw (Vulnerable) for the Dragontouched feat. Would this affect his FP?
I know gameology-fu.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »

Thanks for the quick answers Omen, Crescent. I wondered about that, but they did mention racial modsifiers so I was hoping there was a typo somewhere.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:40 PM »
here goes nothing, hope my bad past results on Invisible Castle don't influence my next FP roll...

Feature Points Roll (1d3-1=1)  > I was lucky to get away with at least 1 FP  :D

Can I submit my character for Yafutoma?

The minimum FP is one anyway, so even if you rolled a 1 you still would have ended up with it. And I've all ready marked you down for the Yafutoma game, as noted in the 2nd post.

[spoiler][/spoiler]