Author Topic: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC  (Read 198877 times)

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
Re: Skies of Arcadia Recruiting and OOC
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Diaboli were LA +0 to begin with.  I'm really not sure why they got bumped to LA +1 in the Dragon Compendium.  They're certainly no better than neraphs.  ???

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2008, 06:11:15 PM »
Diaboli were LA +0 to begin with.  I'm really not sure why they got bumped to LA +1 in the Dragon Compendium.  They're certainly no better than neraphs.  ???

It may have been due to the Outsider type. I know it wasn't because of the tail or poison. Well, maybe the poison. But not the tail attack.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
It may have been bee-ess.  :)

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2008, 06:17:58 PM »
@Sinfire: You've got mail  ;)

There goes my optimization-fu.... Is there anything that can de done within the 1LA with the symbiotic template?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »
Ah grapple monsters. That's how to beat a Chain Tripper. Well, it helps when they don't have Improved Trip to screw your AoO over. Sure, we can make the Lesser verion. The Fey version actually is weaker if you gave them both HD (or racial weapon profs). Do remind me what the stats are on the Diaboli, just so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Dragon Compendium version:

Diaboli
Medium Outsider (chaotic, native) (changed to Fey, keep the chaotic or lose it?  I got no firm opinion, but it does seem appropriate for Fey)
Base speed 30
Darkvision 60
+2 racial saves vs spells/spell-like
+2 Intimidate vs humanoids/animals
-2 Diplomancy, Handle Animal, Perform & Sense Motive
Tridents as simple weapons
Tail attack (1d4)
Poison 3+Con/day sickens for 2d4 rounds
Favored Class: Sorcerer
LA +1

The Dragon 327 version has no daily limit on poison uses and LA+0, but is otherwise identical.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »
Ah grapple monsters. That's how to beat a Chain Tripper. Well, it helps when they don't have Improved Trip to screw your AoO over. Sure, we can make the Lesser verion. The Fey version actually is weaker if you gave them both HD (or racial weapon profs). Do remind me what the stats are on the Diaboli, just so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Dragon Compendium version:

Diaboli
Medium Outsider (chaotic, native) (changed to Fey, keep the chaotic or lose it?  I got no firm opinion, but it does seem appropriate for Fey)
Base speed 30
Darkvision 60
+2 racial saves vs spells/spell-like
+2 Intimidate vs humanoids/animals
-2 Diplomancy, Handle Animal, Perform & Sense Motive
Tridents as simple weapons
Tail attack (1d4)
Poison 3+Con/day sickens for 2d4 rounds
Favored Class: Sorcerer
LA +1

The Dragon 327 version has no daily limit on poison uses and LA+0, but is otherwise identical.

Keep the Chaotic sub-type. Otherwise the original is fine.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:56 PM »
Gargel has a preliminary build up. While it's not quite as cheesy as Unseelie Fey, he can open a combat with a 20ft jump (at which he auto-succeeds), then swipe at his victim for 16d6+24 if all his attacks hit a flat-footed opponent. He gets less impressive from there, but it's a pretty strong opening gambit. And he can pass one point of essentia down to either AC or stealth ability, and still make his DC 20 Jump on a 1.

I'm still working on equipment. He really doesn't need that much, and I'm not sure how much gold he should get.

As with JJ, you used Character Traits, something I don't allow. Other than that, the build looks fine. 1d3+1 for FP.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:53 PM »

There goes my optimization-fu.... Is there anything that can de done within the 1LA with the symbiotic template?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »

I read through it. The variant gives up Elemental shape and slows the Spontaneous casting to 3rd level instead of at 1st. That's all I really noticed, aside from a few more abilities to fill in dead levels. I'll let it in.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »
As with JJ, you used Character Traits, something I don't allow. Other than that, the build looks fine. 1d3+1 for FP.
Fixed; taking the average. How much gold should we be starting with?

Also, thanks to Leap of the Heavens and Improved Soulmeld Capacity, Gargel can make his 5ft jump from a standing start on a 1. How will you handle the AoOs and flanking from jumping next to someone?
I know gameology-fu.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
Fixed; taking the average. How much gold should we be starting with?

Also, thanks to Leap of the Heavens and Improved Soulmeld Capacity, Gargel can make his 5ft jump from a standing start on a 1. How will you handle the AoOs and flanking from jumping next to someone?

If you do it as a 5ft step, none without Thicket of Blades or difficult terrain to stand in your way. GP is as the WBL guidelines.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
Thanks. A question and a statement.
1. Gargel is not trying to be a priority for the Yafutoma game. He's probably better suited to Ixa'taka or mid-ocean. Still, if you need him, he's there.

2. How are we doing hit points? Average or Invisible Castle?
I know gameology-fu.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
Thanks. A question and a statement.
1. Gargel is not trying to be a priority for the Yafutoma game. He's probably better suited to Ixa'taka or mid-ocean. Still, if you need him, he's there.

2. How are we doing hit points? Average or Invisible Castle?

1: Got it.
2: Either. Whichever you wish to use.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
I'm going to throw my hat in for Valua right now. Although if Mid-Ocean moves here before Valua starts and has an open space, I'd love to be in that. Is that cool?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Akula

• Email
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
Can I use the Fire-Souled template from dragon 314? It would be going on a Wilder//Bard or Marshal. Though really I'm still looking for a nice Cha based class to use on the second side.

As for region, the character I'm building would likely have come from Nasr but would be the type to travel to other places. I would be happy anywhere I think.

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
I'm willing to call Gargel finished. I took average HP, and while the benefits of spending an FP are nice, I'd like to see what he needs in a bit of play before I started spending them. Also, one d20 reroll/day is not to be uderestimated.
I know gameology-fu.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
Put me down for Yafutoma, my echocaller//swordsage seems to fit in the most there. This will be the first time I've ever used Tome of Battle, I'm diving in, so wish me luck. I don't plan on this build to be extremely optimized in any way, but any hints or tips would be nice.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2008, 01:21:39 AM »
Swordsage is a brutal, brutal class. Desert Wind is probably the worst school overall, but is still pretty awesome. If you go Shadow Hand, widely considered one of the best options, Weapon Finesse and Shadow Blade can let you dump Str entirely. The other two strong schools are Tiger Claw and Diamond Mind; while thematically antithetical, they are remarkably mechanically complementary.

Really, find some good tricks and nab 'em. There's not much you can do horribly wrong with ToB. It's a good system like that.
I know gameology-fu.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2008, 01:40:58 AM »
ToB for newbies is a good resource, as is the ToB Build Compendium. Also, post your build in the Min/Max forum to get some comments. My character will focus on Setting Sun with a dash of Diamond Mind (he only has access to those 2 schools). Weapon Finesse+Shadow Blade is indeed a common and strong choice.

If you're interested in Diamond Mind you can also take a look at JJ's Meditant - it's better with full BAB, but in short it uses psionic feats (Deep Impact) in combinations with Diamond Mind strikes. I recall liking the Beshadowed Blade but I can't remember right now what it did. And there's the Daring Swordsage, etc...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson